Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Short Lines

Forum for kitesurfers
Eurus
Frequent Poster

Short Lines

Postby Eurus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 am

Looking for feedback from any experienced kiters who have flown short lines, the specific line length, and the kite size and type you have flown them on.

Did you notice a huge difference in how the kite performed? Did it loop a lot quicker or only slightly quicker?

I have 25M lines right now and am going to get 20M lines.

Thanks in advance.

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Short Lines

Postby geopeck » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:13 am

Totally into my 17m lines for wave riding or any type of carving. I think they work great with a 11m, ok with a 12, not very good for anything bigger as the kite doesn't seem to want to unlock itself from the edge of the window. I don't know why, someone please tell me.

Kite types are mid aspect freestyle, deltas or open C.

Sent jumps with short lines feel lame. Pop feels about the same to me except it's easier to end up with the kite too far overhead or too low.

Loops are quicker and punchier. Most of my loops are downloops through waves though. I'm really just into them because it feels like I am carrying more power through and out of my carves and can carve much tighter.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:56 am

Ayahuasca wrote:Looking for feedback from any experienced kiters who have flown short lines, the specific line length, and the kite size and type you have flown them on.

Did you notice a huge difference in how the kite performed? Did it loop a lot quicker or only slightly quicker?

I have 25M lines right now and am going to get 20M lines.

Thanks in advance.
I have (3) bars set-up with (3) different line-length each ; 23M, 27M , and 32M.

It's like having 1/2 size kites , up or down.

Diminishing returns when i cut my 25M lines down to 23M ; yea it turned faster
but there was a Major loss of power on that one , so i think line-length is specific
to type & brand kite , and conditions.

I would suggest that you get some rather short lines , then have a few sets
of extensions to try your kite with until Ya find optimum for You.

I can get the power out of the short lines, but i'm moving the kite a LOT to
get it. My Edge gets copious amounts of power when it's signed, as compared
to just setting it in the window ; your kite might be different.

I set up a 120lb girl one day on my 13M Edge, in light wind. She Wanted the 11M , but soon
changed her mind when the 13M just made her hang in the air on her jumps ,and
still turned with ease on the short 23M lines. I can't understand why more
people don't use different line-lengths to match wind conditions ; for me it's
a Biggie , but i use my kite a Lot more for balance , than people with real legs do.

Bille

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 am

Be quite a difference with 20s from 25s - much faster turning and less powerful. Think 22m are my fave.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:42 am

longwhitecloud wrote:Be quite a difference with 20s from 25s - much faster turning and less powerful. Think 22m are my fave.
Agree, it will feel very different.

It will not actually turn faster when shorter, but it will feel that way, because of the small window - and there can be less delay because of less slack in the lines :thumb:
More powerful loops, as it will seem to loop at a bigger radius, relative to the lines that is - so the kite will come down lower :naughty:

I also use the often standard 21-22m now, just like longwhitecloud, as a compromise that fits me for "everything", both waveriding and freestyle/freeride .

Shorter than 20, and it feels jerky and on/off, I dont like it.
Much longer than that, and it gets too "wishy washy" for general use IMO (no fast response), and for waveriding totally useless...

8) Peter

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm

agree and also make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some of the companies change bar length when they change line length so keep an eye on that as well. So, a shorter line length can speed up the start of the turns (reaction time) while a shorter bar can slow the speed a bit . Just kep track of what you are comparing. I like 22 on my larger kites for free riding and 20 on my wave kites which are smaller and need the quicker reaction time. Have fun trying different lengths and let us know how it feels to you.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:58 pm

i have ridden on kites with lines from 10 meters up to 50 meters.

50 meter lines feel more laggy and also long lines gives your kite more time to loop so the kite will tend to helicopter, while the 10 meters tend to yank you around, you can change directions a lot quicker.

I know people will say there is a big difference between 20 and 24 meters but to me it's not a huge change. You can ride any kite on the market on either 20 or 24 lines it's a relatively small change.

Kite loops can look real nice on 20 meter lines, and for surfing, it's nice to have the 20 meters so you can change directions quicker. 24 meters will pull you off the line a bit easier because the longer line will pull for longer on a turn or power stroke.

What I'm saying is go for it, 20 or 24 meters it's not big deal you can ride any kite you own on either of those line lengths.

The only kites I don't suggest riding on 20 meter lines are extremely large kites like a 21m flysurfer or a large turbine because those kites take so long to complete a loop you can dip a wingtip in the water before it completes a turn.

Also I don't like riding 7 meter kites on 30 meter or longer lines (24m is ok) because the kite tends to spin around like a top, not a lot of style.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 pm

I've been riding 17M lines for a few years now on all my kites 8M-16M. Great for waves strapless. Bad for jumping. I'd rather be a whole kite size up than on long lines, expecially on windy days. I'll demo kites on long lines (23M) and just feel miserable. Short lines prevent you from being pulled off the board in the waves(strapless). You start feeling the power loss if your working the kite for power. If its windy enough that your not working the kite much you don't notice a power loss.

Bottom line - Only do it if you ride strapless....no point for freestyle

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:13 am

Good feed back. I will be flying my 20M lines for the first time this week-end in 20 - 25 kt winds so looking forward to posting my own impressions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”