Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore - CA, Sunset Beach - CA, Seal Beach - CA
Style: Free riding
Gear: Best TS 12m, Flysurfer Speed 3 21m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Incident report with TKS Miami.

Postby fabiustex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:50 am

I want to share a bad experience (very bad) occurred Friday December 13th in Miami Beach at 23rd Street so to collect some opinions and hopefully warn whoever will find himself in similar situations.
We arrived at the spot early in morning and had few good session in North Est winds; in the afternoon and after a break lasted 4 hours for unfavorable conditions the wind picked up again and the TKS Miami store showed up for the North Kiteboarding Demo. I went out with my kite for a session and then back on the beach to change board when I spent few minutes chatting with a friend keeping the kite at 12...then the incident, long story short the representative for TKS trying to pass a kite between one kiter to another (and without wearing harness so without safeleash...this should be safety rule #1!!!) loose control of the Kite which flew on my lines causing the kite to loop, crash on a fence and tearing the canopy from LE to TE. As soon we got the situation under control, we've approached the TKS representative asking for explanation and the only answer we've got was "I'm not responsible, I was not even wearing a harness" (well, that could have helped!!), one of the kiters involved even tried to run way. No one asked if we were injured or everything was ok; after arguing for several minutes without having any other option we packed and left. Now what we should have done?Is TKS store responsible for his representative?
What would you have done?

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Been thanked: 0

Re: Incident report with TKS Miami.

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:47 am

I would have asked, "are you paying for that? Who ever was holding the kite is responsible." Then if pissed enough I would call police. As it's no different than someone damaging your car or bike. Get details and go from there.
Me Personally I always stay away from other kiters pros or beginners. Both have done pretty dumb things around me. If they are getting too close I bring my kite low towards the water and would release my safety if there was a kite about to collide at full speed.
Learning to not get in these situations is the easiest and best. It's like driving, sure YOU are driving correctly but some person suddenly comes into your lane, but you put on brakes and move out of the way to avoid collision. So same thinking for me. Need to learn to be a defensive kiter and assume everyone is an idiot when it comes to trashing your gear.

I have to say a lot of kiters do things like launch in iffy winds with things or people directly downwind all the time often ending in tragedy. Seasoned or not. Kiting is a pretty basic sport when it comes to safety. Really one big rule. Stay the Furk away from hard objects and assume you can hit anything downwind of you. Duh. But nope that one for some reason doesn't sink in.

In your case it just sounds like these people were a bit retarded.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 am

Small claims court solves issues like these. It comes down to the liability of the store employee who was careless and caused damage to your personal property! I would be in touch with the store and inform them what has happened and see if they will make things right. If not than inform them that you will seek legal action.

James

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:15 am

I was worried from the headline that this would end up as a fatality.

Get them to fix the kite.

And next, remember this could have been much worse, you could have been injured or killed, so keep everything in perspective, it's just a tore up kite. Glad you are ok.

vp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 am

he said, she said.. two sides to every story like this.
fabiustex wrote: I spent few minutes chatting with a friend keeping the kite at 12..
hanging around on the beach with your kite at 12 is asking for trouble. "Keep it low, and go!" - one of the most important kiteboarding rules.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 am

First, I am happy to hear that you and others were all ok after this.

Second, I am sure that there's another perspective of facts that TKS has, otherwise, they likely would have immediately offered to repair your kite. TKS caries a good reputation.

With the situation as you laid it out for us, I would say that TKS Miami should repair your kite for you but I would not be expecting a new kite. A free t-shirt would be cool too :)

In the future, I would stay clear of demos taking place unless you are looking to demo one of the kites or are returning a demo kite. You are lucky enough to have a store at your beach that is able to organize demos.

Hanging out, chatting to a friend, for a few minutes with your kite at 12 seems a little sketchy to me but I have not kited in Miami before. It is not acceptable here in BC to keep your kite above you so long as the launches are so small that you would likely get your kite tangled with someone else's.

Honestly, I am surprised that people are suggesting to call the cops, go to court, etc...Why can't level heads prevail in a situation like this?

I hope that you and the staff at TKS can come to an amicable conclusion.

Happy kiting.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 am

fabiustex wrote: I spent few minutes chatting with a friend keeping the kite at 12...
Hmmm chatting with a friend for a few minutes with kite at 12.....

Kite should be kept low when on the beach for many reasons.

That said the dicks should not be passing kites that are in the air without a leash.

Guy loses a kite... that guy is responsible for the trail of destruction.... period.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:17 am

TKS is at fault no question. But...I don't like kiters standing in or around the launch spot talking while they have their kite at 12. It takes all of 3 seconds to land a kite.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:24 am

I hate riding in congested areas. My favorite time to ride here in the northeast is spring and fall, the beaches are empty.
Whenever I am driving , skiing , kiting , etc , I just always imagine people around me are going to do the stupidest thing imaginable. Assume they won't and you will get burned.

We sadly live in a world were few people take responsibility for their actions...

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:33 am

Totally agree Matth.
Ya best to stay away from the riff raft. 12 years of kiting and never had a problem myself, but had a friend drop my kite in the trees and another on coral on the beach ripping my kite. He was nice enough to put tape on it (small rip) Now never lend gear and stay upwind of anything I suspect maybe a problem.
Police and small claims not for me, but understand that if someone who saved up hard for a new kite then someone buggers it, then feel they should have a kite replaced, not sewn up or run away. That's pretty lame. And agree 2 sides to every story. :)

Hopefully kiting will be fun and not headaches for ya.

Happy Kiting!

Return to “Kitesurfing”