Forum for kitesurfers
madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Incident report with TKS Miami.

Postby madworld » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:46 am

There fault, but flying your kite on the beach hanging out is not welcome at my local sailing site.
:argue:

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 pm

madworld wrote:There fault, but flying your kite on the beach hanging out is not welcome at my local sailing site.
:argue:
Exactly, that's illegal that's NO NO :nono: :!:
That's how people who don't give a sh!t get into an accident
flying the kite at the beach and closing sites around the world :naughty:
Where is the respect :?:

DrLW

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 pm

If your kite was new, or recent and had no damage history, then TKS should replace your kite with a new one - thinking of your loss of value. A repaired kite's resale value is lower and should be considered.

I would go to the store and talk to them and take the kite with you, but don't leave it there, they can take pictures if needed. They may also have insurance coverage for damage to other's personal property caused by their employees, so you may end up talking to the insurance company. Or they can get a new kite at dealer cost and give it to you if they don't want to file a claim which might cause their premium to increase.

You might start writing down your notes, what, where, when, and how the accident happened. Witnesses and names may help.

lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Style: Surf / Freestyle

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 pm

fabiustex

Just sent you a PM.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:40 pm

fabiustex wrote: the TKS Miami store showed up for the North Kiteboarding Demo.
So was North doing a demo or was TKS doing the demo? Who owned the kite and who was in care and control of the kite? Who stood to gain financially from having the demo?

If there was a private company using public land as a sales venue then that private company is responsible for anything that their representatives do imho. No different then if this was a lesson for example.

Sounds like TKS or North should buck up here.... I always here "support your local shop" so now is the time for that shop to support the community that is keeping them in business The same community that shares the access which that shop likely uses for lessons and demos etc...
There are laws against that in a lot of places.

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mikeysfl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 am

fabiustex wrote:I want to share a bad experience (very bad) occurred Friday December 13th in Miami Beach at 23rd Street so to collect some opinions and hopefully warn whoever will find himself in similar situations.
We arrived at the spot early in morning and had few good session in North Est winds; in the afternoon and after a break lasted 4 hours for unfavorable conditions the wind picked up again and the TKS Miami store showed up for the North Kiteboarding Demo. I went out with my kite for a session and then back on the beach to change board when I spent few minutes chatting with a friend keeping the kite at 12...then the incident, long story short the representative for TKS trying to pass a kite between one kiter to another (and without wearing harness so without safeleash...this should be safety rule #1!!!) loose control of the Kite which flew on my lines causing the kite to loop, crash on a fence and tearing the canopy from LE to TE. As soon we got the situation under control, we've approached the TKS representative asking for explanation and the only answer we've got was "I'm not responsible, I was not even wearing a harness" (well, that could have helped!!), one of the kiters involved even tried to run way. No one asked if we were injured or everything was ok; after arguing for several minutes without having any other option we packed and left. Now what we should have done?Is TKS store responsible for his representative?
What would you have done?
You should pay for it. Just because you chatted for a few minutes you are guilty of yapping.

fabiustex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore - CA, Sunset Beach - CA, Seal Beach - CA
Style: Free riding
Gear: Best TS 12m, Flysurfer Speed 3 21m

Postby fabiustex » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:16 am

vp wrote:he said, she said.. two sides to every story like this.
fabiustex wrote: I spent few minutes chatting with a friend keeping the kite at 12..
hanging around on the beach with your kite at 12 is asking for trouble. "Keep it low, and go!" - one of the most important kiteboarding rules.
Just to clarify...there were 4 kiters around me preparing their gear to go out: everyone agreed with what I have reported; the TKS rep was not even able to describe what happened (he didn't want to!).

fabiustex
Rare Poster

Postby fabiustex » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:24 am

Laughingman wrote:
fabiustex wrote: the TKS Miami store showed up for the North Kiteboarding Demo.
So was North doing a demo or was TKS doing the demo? Who owned the kite and who was in care and control of the kite? Who stood to gain financially from having the demo?

If there was a private company using public land as a sales venue then that private company is responsible for anything that their representatives do imho. No different then if this was a lesson for example.

Sounds like TKS or North should buck up here.... I always here "support your local shop" so now is the time for that shop to support the community that is keeping them in business The same community that shares the access which that shop likely uses for lessons and demos etc...
There are laws against that in a lot of places.
I guess it was a North Demo hosted by TKS, their tent was on the beach and their representative was helping the kiters to lunch and land the demo gear.

TKSMIAM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: KEY BISCAYNE , CRANDON PARK
WEST POINT, STILTSVILLE.
MIAMI BEACH, 23 RD ST, 65TH ST, 87TH ST
Gear: NORTH, FONE, BEST, CABRINHA , NAISH

Postby TKSMIAM » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:37 am

fabiustex:

As an intricate part of the Miami Beach kite scene and Co founders of the Miami Beach Kiteboarders Foundation we definitely do not condone that type of behavior. Neither passing kites nor standing on the beach with your kite at 12. Glad no one was hurt! The point of the demo is to expose all local riders to the best gear available. TKS is and always has been here to support the local kiting community while keeping everyone safe.
Please contact Juan or Morgann directly. We'll figure something out.
(juanpavan@tksmiami.com , Morgan@tksmiami.com)

TKS MIAMI

fabiustex
Rare Poster

Postby fabiustex » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I am happy to report that the owners of TKS reached out to me and went out of their way to resolve this issue.

Juan and Morgan reviewed the situation and gathered some more information about the incident. They quickly got back to me and generously offered to send me a replacement kite in order to set things straight.

I gratefully accepted their offer. It only confirms their personal as well as TKS's commitment to the sport and their reputation in our kite community.

Case resolved!
Thanks a lot and happy kiting in 2014 everyone!

Return to “Kitesurfing”