Brand Affiliation: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Limited Edition Performance Hydrofoil Board

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Carafino News:

Limited Edition Performance Hydrofoil Board

HI Guys:

Here is the Performance board for 2014. This model is compatible with pre 2014 hydrofoils that have a flat square plate for mounting. There are only a limited number of these boards because we have changed the mounting design. So customers who want to continue using their previous hydrofoils with flat plate mounting can use this model board. I will no longer manufacture this type of board after January 2014

Since the beginning of the hydrofoil kite board, we have manufactured the top of the hydrofoil to mount to the bottom of the board. This was a great design that came from hydrofoil "surfing". Because when the hydrofoil "surfer" began to go to fast, or got out of control. The plate hitting the water slowed the surfer down, this gave the surfer ability to regain control. When the hydrofoil moves with the open swell, typically in Hawaiian Surf. The hydrofoil travels over 25 knots. This is a very high speed for surfing. Especially when the rider is "Hands Free". Meaning no control bar in the hands to leverage against.

When Hydrofoil Surfing moved into the sport of Hydrofoil Kiteboarding, the Hydrofoil kitesurfer suffered a loss of speed when the board touched the water. For many years, this was acceptable because the sport was in the introduction stage, or properly said, hydrofoil kiteboarding was in its infancy.

Now that hydrofoil kiteboarding has matured, hydrofoil kiteboarders have progressed and the demand for speed is essential. The flat plate mounting to the bottom of the board is counter productive to maintaining speed over a race course or in flat out racing against the clock.

The new design boards will feature a diamond recessed attachment so that water free flows pass the hydrofoil attachment. Same as a Tuttle box or normal surfboard fin attachment point.

I appreciate your input on this topic and any ideas that further the sport for all. I have read comments from different viewers and they tend to look to the past and draw the attention of our previous production run in 2009 which suffered breakage. It is our great relief that we no longer and never again will manufacture boards in China. We manufacture all our boards with the APS cutting machine and laminate them at our new factory on the island of Bali. We look forward to the future of this sport and the new innovations will we bring to the sport of kitesurfing for the world to enjoy.

I will feature the 2014 Hydrofoil Racing Board in the next week and in January will feature the new speed hydrofoils we have been testing over the last year. Following this we will feature the impressive formula one traditional course racing boards that have never been seen before. This will hopefully pull the industry in the direction of futuristic products for kite surfing and with some positive proposals bring traditional course racing to the lime light of televised events via digital and cable networks. Meaning, rider prize money should exceed 50 to 100 thousand USD for event winners. This is our goal for the future of kiteboarding.

Happy Holidays.

Carafino
Attachments
Performance 11.jpg
Performance 13.jpg
Performance 9.jpg
Performance 8.jpg
Performance 7.jpg
Performance 6.jpg
Performance 5.jpg
Performance 4.jpg
Performance 3.jpg
Performance 2.jpg
Performance 1.jpg

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Re: Limited Edition Performance Hydrofoil Board

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Love you idea of the new box design. I am also going to do the same for a foilboard that I am building just with a different twist. I just want to be able to put a plug ( 3d printed )in the hole so I can ride the waves with out the foil as a cross over board. Your system will be great for the race guys.

thanks for all the hard work you have done over the years

Terrie B

I wish I would of foiled along time ago because I have been kiting for 14 years now... Holly I am old

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Europ2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:29 am

Nice piece of work. Looks promising.
C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote: The new design boards will feature a diamond recessed attachment so that water free flows pass the hydrofoil attachment. Same as a Tuttle box or normal surfboard fin attachment point.
Just wondering why you didn't chose to feature a recessed square attachment compatible with the diamond plate so that water free flows pass the square hydrofoil attachment as well.

With 8 screws (4 inserts for the square plate + 4 inserts for the diamond plate)
A square plate would fill the whole recessed area
or a diamond plate + 4 plastic angles (shims) permanently set would fill it as well.
C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote: rider prize money should exceed 50 to 100 thousand USD for event winners.
As these prices will have to be paid by the customers, I 'm not sure this will help to make the sport affordable if several hundreds of USD per foil are dedicated to the huge various prize money around the globe.

Just my 2c.
Last edited by Europ2 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:44 am

Pretty.
Please tell us more about the construction details.
Regards.
Bill

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.
Favorite Beaches: Maui and the World.
Style: Perfect
Gear: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Brand Affiliation: CARAFINO AND NAISH

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:46 pm

HI Guys:

Thanks for the questions, the diamond plate insert is designed for two reasons. First there have been a number of companies that have incorporated the original Carafino square plate into their product. Thus, our products have been completing theirs. The new diamond will only fit Carafino 2014 products until it is reproduced.

Second the square is more heavier in insert material then the diamond.

The construction of the boards is first shaped eps foam, density of foam not disclosed, then the board is laminated up with a multiple direction fiberglass that is new out of Australia. It adds more strength with less material. Epoxy resin laminate and carbon patches in various locations for the stress points. Oven cured to accelerate curing.

The board is painted, logo, gloss coat and polished. All with UV materials so the board remains sun resistant as long as possible.

We changed our foot strap design and have gone with a new cushy strap that snugs the foot. This new strap is taken from the old Neil Pryde wind surf strap design. It is a favorite of mine and also Laird Hamiltion, Darrick Doerner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrick_Doerner along with other professional big wave riders in the sport of life and death big wave tow in surfing, I think all hydrofoil kiteboarders will enjoy the comfort and secure feel of the strap.

Normal eva padding with a special formula of rubber added into the padding composition for a grip that wont quit.

Regarding the prize money for our vision of winning competitors being gifted with huge prize money. Perhaps I failed to completely indicate where the prize funds will come from. I believe that with the new developments I will bring to the sport of traditional course kite board race designs, will be able to cross over in the yacht world of racing. Making it a televised event distributed to households world wide via digital cable, satellite, etc viewing.

Cable networks are able to determine viewer buying of such sports events. For example, when networks secure 5 million households to the sport of "new kiteboard course racing televised events" and each household pays 4 to 7 dollars to view the event, the sponsorship is taken from these funds and the prize money is allocated as well. This is the realm yacht sailing is performing and with companies like Rolex, Cadillac, etc. the potential is huge. The only set back would be the politics and how the small time IKA would be open to giving up some control to further the sport and give the riders the prize money for the exposure.

Once I release the new course race boards, you will begin to understand the direction I will take the sport for the sport and the riders. I love sport, I dislike politics and industry stagnation.

New diamond insert board models to be released after the holiday.

Thanks for the input.

Carafino

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:19 am

C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:Once I release the new course race boards, you will begin to understand the direction I will take the sport for the sport and the riders. I love sport, I dislike politics and industry stagnation.
Carafino. Thanks for your involvement into our sport! I love your new colors on the performance board. If your race board is going to be in the same colors then please don’t put me on your BLACK LIST of manufactures as my boards looks like yours:

What coincidence! Dont' blame me for it. I love red and white as I am a proud and stupid Polish patriot :wink:
They might look not good on the pictures but I have to admit that in reality this red color looks awesome on the water. I have to agree, haven’t you?
For the record, please be aware that my board's idea took shape in August 2013. Check out the initial news on the Polish forum: http://www.foilforum.pl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27

Another evidence that I am not stealing your idea is a video from the 62th Long Race at Gdansk Bay in October where I took first place in the foil class on my board and Moses prototype foil:

FYI: I am going to stay a very small custom board manufacture without a dream to rule the sport. I want share my experience from racing only as you share your knowledge. My boards will be purely dedicated to racing and ultra low winds. They will be compatible with Moses freeride and course race foils. I am not planning to have a dedicated website etc. I hope that Moses will include them to their products as a board available by an individual order.

BTW: If you don't mind I would recommend to use bolts for inserts instead screws for racing boards. This is Moses’ idea. Tested well and found working great.

Thanks for writing your posts without capitals and size 200 font. It’s pleasure to read your posts now.

Keep posting man! You are the source and let us drink of it :allbegood:

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:01 am

This post had disapeared from this section for the last 2 days.
Does sbdy know what hapened ?

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:08 am

Europ2 wrote:This post had disapeared from this section for the last 2 days.
Does sbdy know what hapened ?
It was teletransporting between two sections.
I saw it in the special offers section last couple days and it’s back at the source today.

Taaroa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Frejus
Gear: sword 2 - elf kite
Brand Affiliation: Taaroa

Postby Taaroa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 pm

post delete
Last edited by Taaroa on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

deleted.

Return to “Hydrofoil”