Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus released

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:32 am

alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:...
Line length is adjusted with the Black Rope that the front lines attach to...
The problem with same-length new lines is that as the rears shrink, you soon run out of adjustment at the Black Rope while there's still plenty of life in the lines :( I'm going to get around to setting up an under-the-floaters adjustment system too.
1. The back line are not shrinking! The front lines stretch more then the back lines, which make the back line appear to shrink. Kites are usually delivered out of the bag not tuned for max power to allow for the stretching during the few first hours of riding. But the allowance was way off.
2. You cannot lengthen the black rope because you make the turning problem I mentioned a lot worse because the too short safety line is in permanent tension when you lengthen the front lines. That's why you must resort to shortening the back lines.
Sp4s definitely had a bridle and/or main lines manufacturing and/or design and/or quality test problem.
Flysurfer is pretty convinced the rears are shrinking ;) one day I must get out there and measure my various lines myself, and put this to sleep once and for all.

I was thinking to lengthen the steering leaders at the bar, under the floats, using an old set of leaders.

You're right about the safety - my new 21 FLS line is overly tight :( so you HAVE to shorten the Black Rope...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Séb » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:13 am

Or add a short extension to your safety line!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:27 am

Séb wrote:Or add a short extension to your safety line!
The knot may catch on the top of the QR body if it's longer than a few inches... or you could put one at the other end, yes.

Better to just get one the right length :roll:

I did a splice join on my P4 FDS... far more time consuming, but a very satisfying finish to it :D

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:54 am

Séb wrote:Or add a short extension to your safety line!
Yeah. Of course I thought of that, but shortening the back lines with 2 double 8 knots was easier.
Anyhow, you're not supposed to hack such an expensive kite. You should expect to fly it out of the bag.
I've got a friend who got a terribly tuned Sp4. He added extensions on most of the bridles. Still didn't fly properly. Flysurfer took exchanged the kite without discussion, which is an admission something was wrong.
All of the Speed3s, Speed2s and Psycho4s I had (the whole range) had any issues of the kind.
Pulse2 14, and some of the short lived Unitys' however were-back stalling without hope of redemption. Flysurfer took back Unity's without discussion too.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 am

alexrider wrote:Flysurfer took exchanged the kite without discussion, which is an admission something was wrong.
Funny! If companies discuss, they get slammed on here; if they don't, it's a conspiracy of selling bad products...
FS has good customer service - this is just another example of it. IMO.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
alexrider wrote:Flysurfer took exchanged the kite without discussion, which is an admission something was wrong.
Absolutely!

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:35 am

alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
Absolutely!
That's great to hear. I was getting worried as I just sold my Speed 3 to buy a Lotus and if it's not better then I will return there Lotus and get another S3, if it turns faster then the 12m will be good even in waves. My 1 kite quiver! As my old Peter lynn 19m Charger was pretty good in waves. Now if it could only arrive before Jan 20th…...

Ramon FS
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: FS Sales

Postby Ramon FS » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Question 1: You guys say that the Speed 4 Lotus jumps higher than Speed 3.

Speed 4 Lotus 12m jump higher than Speed3 12m, are you certain? I.E, if I were to buy one and try it for 5-10 sessions, ill be able to jump higher than Speed3 guaranteed???

Not saying that is impossible, just impressive if you are certain of that.

Question 2: Will the Speed4 Lotus have a more similar feel to the Speed3 than the Speed4 "regular" 8m and 10m has?

When buying/trying the Speed 4 10m, I was a little disappointed about its difference compare to Speed3 (yes lots of improvements but decrease in hang time and jump height compare to Speed3). I felt that this kite should have been given another name than Speed4.
Hi Teabag,

Yes the new Speed4 Lotus jumps higher then the old one, why, because you have a bit more control over the whole windrange and the kite turns quicker and flies a bit faster, meaning you can hold your edge a bit longer, resulting in higher jumps.

The Speed4 Lotus has a similar feel to the big sizes Speed3, that was also one of the main reasons why we had to delay the launch of the Speed4, since we wanted new, as well as brand-loyal customer, who know our Speeds to be happy with the product.

Also see this text from our webpage:
Countless feedback from the market, customers, riders and our own standards, have made us decide to build the larger sizes of the Speed4 (12.0/15.0/18.0/21.0m2) in a higher aspect ratio (AR), more performance-oriented design, the Speed4 LOTUS has the ever so popular high performance feel, i.e low-end power and great upwind ability combined with endless hangtime. The small sizes Speed4 (8.0/10.0m2) are optimized for stronger winds and because of this have a lower aspect ratio (AR) and thus a slightly different characteristic.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:49 am

Ramon FS wrote:
Question 1: You guys say that the Speed 4 Lotus jumps higher than Speed 3.

Speed 4 Lotus 12m jump higher than Speed3 12m, are you certain? I.E, if I were to buy one and try it for 5-10 sessions, ill be able to jump higher than Speed3 guaranteed???

Not saying that is impossible, just impressive if you are certain of that.

Question 2: Will the Speed4 Lotus have a more similar feel to the Speed3 than the Speed4 "regular" 8m and 10m has?

When buying/trying the Speed 4 10m, I was a little disappointed about its difference compare to Speed3 (yes lots of improvements but decrease in hang time and jump height compare to Speed3). I felt that this kite should have been given another name than Speed4.
Hi Teabag,

Yes the new Speed4 Lotus jumps higher then the old one, why, because you have a bit more control over the whole windrange and the kite turns quicker and flies a bit faster, meaning you can hold your edge a bit longer, resulting in higher jumps.

The Speed4 Lotus has a similar feel to the big sizes Speed3, that was also one of the main reasons why we had to delay the launch of the Speed4, since we wanted new, as well as brand-loyal customer, who know our Speeds to be happy with the product.

Also see this text from our webpage:
Countless feedback from the market, customers, riders and our own standards, have made us decide to build the larger sizes of the Speed4 (12.0/15.0/18.0/21.0m2) in a higher aspect ratio (AR), more performance-oriented design, the Speed4 LOTUS has the ever so popular high performance feel, i.e low-end power and great upwind ability combined with endless hangtime. The small sizes Speed4 (8.0/10.0m2) are optimized for stronger winds and because of this have a lower aspect ratio (AR) and thus a slightly different characteristic.
Hurry up and ship them! I can't wait to get mine. I have been thinking about it non stop now. If you managed to increase the turning speed on the 12m I will be in love!

Mane
Medium Poster

Postby Mane » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:14 pm

hi,

i just found this amazing jump:

http://vimeo.com/87339965

unbelievable to me!

cheers,

Otti