Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: best purchase for 2013?

Postby darippah » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:02 am

Re engine harness. Are u guys using the custom model?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 am

darippah wrote:Re engine harness. Are u guys using the custom model?
Yes, i think that is the part that is so amazing, although I have never tried a generic fit ENGINE...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:31 am

Laughingman wrote:
plummet wrote:A common theme seems to be a red engine harness!

I'll have to put it on my list for when my harness wears out.
I wouldn't wait, every day that you wait will make you a day older when you do finally get to experience ENGINE..... :rollgrin:
That's some stoke for a harness!...

I enjoy my mystic warrior and its only one season old. so it has some life left.

The shinn boards are another popular choice!... I have to ride one, One day!

Dwnwndr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Favorite Beaches: OCNJ, OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Fone Fish, Signature
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dwnwndr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:12 am

Engine custom harness far and away.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:13 pm

1 x Gorilla Monk 128cm (it is still in Miami and I can't wait to get it over)
4 x 2013 Fuses 12m
1 x 2013 Fuse 10m
1 x 2013 Fuse 9m
3 x 2012 North Bars with Ml/Mh

mowaves
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mowaves » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:01 pm

best 2013 purchase for me is wind related, but no kite...here's my new light wind weapon...
Attachments
gonzi.jpg
gonzi.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:53 pm

mowaves wrote:best 2013 purchase for me is wind related, but no kite...here's my new light wind weapon...
Remove the mast and tie a line fore/aft down the center of the trampoline. Also include a loop in the line about 1 foot aft of the mast mount. Add a carabiner to the loop. Then you can sail this boat with a kite. It is a lot of fun.

You dont need to move the kite as much as you do when kiting. Just park it and go. You will only need to move the kite in lighter winds.

Pick the kite that is the largest you can possible handle for the conditions.

we would launch the boat from the boat launch and I would launch the kite from a near by kite launch. then i will body drag over to the boat, climb on and clip the CL into the carabiner.

Not a great pic, but it is all I have.
Attachments
sail.jpg
sail.jpg (117.3 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:23 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
mowaves wrote:best 2013 purchase for me is wind related, but no kite...here's my new light wind weapon...
Very interesting - can you post a close-up photo of your cat's tramp showing the kite connection rigging ?
I've always thought a de-masted cat would be way to combine an experienced kiter / instructor with a newb needing to log kite flying hours without having to be in the water while learning to fly.

Can you swap kite pilots on the fly easily ( maybe kite on the water ) ? Can you fly the kite and steer, same person same time ? Is it a good platform for a newb kiter to fly in moderate winds ? Do you need a powered kite to get upwind or does the cat provide good lateral resistance & low drag and hence go upwind well ?

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:45 am

GregK wrote:Very interesting - can you post a close-up photo of your cat's tramp showing the kite connection rigging ?
I dont have a picture of the rigging, but it is very simple to rig. Just a line forward aft with a loop for the carabiner to clip into the CL. See the pic below with my artistic attempts to give you an example of the rigging. The loop should be 12" to 16" back. from the front of the trampoline.

GregK wrote:I've always thought a de-masted cat would be way to combine an experienced kiter / instructor with a newb needing to log kite flying hours without having to be in the water while learning to fly.
This is a great way for beginners to learn about flying kites in real conditions. I have been teaching kiting to the two sailors I have been working with on this project. We are trying to get a small fleet together for local races.
GregK wrote:Can you swap kite pilots on the fly easily ( maybe kite on the water ) ?
Yes, in the water or in the air.
GregK wrote:Can you fly the kite and steer, same person same time ?
Not with the set up we use. We wanted to limit our solutions to low cost/low tech, so the barriers to entry were easy to overcome. The only cost is the fore/aft line and a carabiner. This setup can be rigged in 10 minutes and all you need is a kiter and a helmsman.
GregK wrote:Is it a good platform for a newb kiter to fly in moderate winds ?
Yes, In addition it is a great way for a person that will never kiteboard to experience flying a kite in real conditions. When teaching beginners, I can not steer and teach at the same time. One of the two sailors I am working with needs to steer while I am teaching the other. As they have improved I can steer and mostly give verbal suggestions.
GregK wrote:Do you need a powered kite to get upwind or does the cat provide good lateral resistance & low drag and hence go upwind well ?
I seem to be able to go up wind in light winds too. Relaunch is harder in low winds because the boat drifts with the kite.

Here is an example of a teaching session. The wind was SSE IIRC. It was a quick session in moderate winds. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244276084
Attachments
rig.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”