Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Try before you buy. Right.

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 am

How many of you get a chance to try out a kite before you buy it? I say Never for me. No dealer has gear to try out before I buy, furthermore any kite that seems interesting to me they don't carry, so I end up buying, then don't like sell, buy again. Usually I end up buying at least 2 sets of kites from different brands a year then sell one. It costs me about $1000 loss but far cheaper than flying over to say the US and trying. Even then I am sure I wouldn't be able to try what I wanted to. Even if they had the model chances are it's in the wrong size to test.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Re: Try before you buy. Right.

Postby Eurus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:50 am

I've been pretty lucky with about 50% of the kites I have purchased and have been able to demo one before I bought it. But I agree with you that usually when someone has kites to demo they either have the wrong model or the wrong size which makes it pretty much useless as a demo.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:51 am

I believe trying anything first( kite, skis cars ,etc) is alway nice if you can but can be a double edge sword. Sure Its good to get a chance to experience somethhing first hand, and if there is something you definitely hate you will most likely figure it out quick. But I do not thing a short spin or even an hour or two is really going to give you the time you need to figure out all the little nuances that take time to detect. And something new always seems exciting, like that hot new blonde that turns out to be an airhead a week later.

I personally just read every review and get as many opinions I can find and balance them out. If 12 out 15 people claim a kite is great upwind , its most likely great up wind.
I just bought 2 new 2014 Rebels based on opinions and reviews. They match my riding style perfectly, I am 100% confident I will love them.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:16 am

matth wrote:I believe trying anything first( kite, skis cars ,etc) is alway nice if you can but can be a double edge sword. Sure Its good to get a chance to experience somethhing first hand, and if there is something you definitely hate you will most likely figure it out quick. But I do not thing a short spin or even an hour or two is really going to give you the time you need to figure out all the little nuances that take time to detect. And something new always seems exciting, like that hot new blonde that turns out to be an airhead a week later.

I personally just read every review and get as many opinions I can find and balance them out. If 12 out 15 people claim a kite is great upwind , its most likely great up wind.
I just bought 2 new 2014 Rebels based on opinions and reviews. They match my riding style perfectly, I am 100% confident I will love them.
Interesting point. In the past 8+ years ago I bought based on reviews and every single one turned out to be bad. Then the kite that people said was bad ended up being the best. I think maybe now it's better and more accurate, like you said taking it out for an hour does it no justice. Prime example was the Speed 3 12m took me 5 days of hating it to totally loving it. There was a learning curve for sure.
I think as far as reviews go everyone on the water is loving their gear so if they are doing a review saying how good it is, it pretty much goes in one ear out the other, but on the other hand if you hear 12 comments saying it has great low end then I will believe it as well as looking at the profile of the kite in the pictures.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:37 am

Yeah same up here. I've tried more gear on brief hole overseas than at my local beach. And if they DO have gear here, it's always a couple of sizes too small for me :(

Boards - I either click with them or I don't. I've discovered that a demo is VITAL for boards...

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:32 am

I have tested only once: Best Nemesis HP and bought it.
No testing thus we buy at bargain prices.
All other kitestuff I buy at big discount: -40 tot -60% new gear that has been lying on the shelf for 2 to 3 years. This is feasible thanks to the Internet.
You lower your financial exposure buy buying a kite at $340 to $525 (bought 2011 kites end of 2013)
And chances are you can resell them immediately again with a small loss.

After 2 or 3 years you know more about these kites:
1) The reviews of the newer kites refer to the previous model and then they publish the real review of a kite as they have to point out the improvement.
2) You have seen them on the sea and have been riding next to them

I don't understand why people buy the latest kite which is only hyped by marketing and team riders. Two sources not to be trusted.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:01 am

peterheirman wrote:I have tested only once: Best Nemesis HP and bought it.
No testing thus we buy at bargain prices.
All other kitestuff I buy at big discount: -40 tot -60% new gear that has been lying on the shelf for 2 to 3 years. This is feasible thanks to the Internet.
You lower your financial exposure buy buying a kite at $340 to $525 (bought 2011 kites end of 2013)
And chances are you can resell them immediately again with a small loss.

After 2 or 3 years you know more about these kites:
1) The reviews of the newer kites refer to the previous model and then they publish the real review of a kite as they have to point out the improvement.
2) You have seen them on the sea and have been riding next to them

I don't understand why people buy the latest kite which is only hyped by marketing and team riders. Two sources not to be trusted.
peterheirman You are a wise man. I think I'm going to borrow your philosophy if you don't mind? Makes a lot more sense than buying the latest and greatest. Been doing it too long now and time to learn.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:16 am

http://switchkites.com/guarantee

Our Guarantee policy is simple

If you're not 100% completely satisfied for any reason, return it! We'll happily accept returned items within 30 days of the sale date and we will give you a complete refund.

Buy with confidence
If you haven’t experienced our world leading products you can purchase with confidence and enjoy a thirty (30) Day 100% Money-Back Guarantee.

Dude :cool2:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm lucky in that I have access to just about any kite brand, model and size to try...and I do.

I do like the switch guarantee deal, this is a really good honest approach to stand behind your product like that. Be great if others would follow such a good lead.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm

With kites and boards we always offer the chance to exchange the equipment if you don't like it for something else. We do offer demos on all the gear we carry, but its the best we can do for our customers who are not local. Usually talking with someone at the shop we can help zero you in on the correct gear. As I have offered this for years, I say I have maybe once or twice had a customer who was unhappy with the kite ordered..

Return to “Kitesurfing”