Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite knives, anyone tried the leatherman Z Rex?

Forum for kitesurfers
PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite knives, anyone tried the leatherman Z Rex?

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:29 am

http://www.leatherman.com/831647.html#start=32

I saw the Z rex and notice the knife shape is similar to what many kiters carry including myself. Sometimes I feel concerned the I may have forgetten to wash my knife and might be rusted when I need it. Or maybe my generic kite knife isn't big enough, or offer enough leverage to get through my safety leash.

I'm thinking this might be a tool we could use. It would be great to get any feedback if anyone has this tool for their car, or other reasons to let us know if it kicks ass and would suit kiting.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Kite knives, anyone tried the leatherman Z REX?

Postby matth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:06 am

looks like it would work well for kiting.

I carry this glass/hammer in my driver side door pocket. Its a great tool to have for an emergency. And another reason I like having this hammer handy is it is a serious weapon in disguise.

http://dx.com/p/glass-breaker-hammer-an ... 7Aod4h4A1w

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:14 am

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:http://www.leatherman.com/831647.html#start=32

I saw the Z rex and notice the knife shape is similar to what many kiters carry including myself. Sometimes I feel concerned the I may have forgetten to wash my knife and might be rusted when I need it. Or maybe my generic kite knife isn't big enough, or offer enough leverage to get through my safety leash.

I'm thinking this might be a tool we could use. It would be great to get any feedback if anyone has this tool for their car, or other reasons to let us know if it kicks ass and would suit kiting.
Not sure about the one you posted but this one by benchmade will cut 3/8" am steel like butter and it is the knife I carry on me when I kite...

http://www.benchmade.com/products/7

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 am

Laughingman wrote:Not sure about the one you posted but this one by benchmade will cut 3/8" am steel like butter and it is the knife I carry on me when I kite...

where do you keep it when you kite? in original pouch somewhere on your west or harness?
i don't want another thing on me catching kite lines

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Re: Kite knives, anyone tried the leatherman Z Rex?

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm using the Spinlock Line Cutter Knife hopefully for many years, without rusting.
They say "it is a must for anyone employing tethers or safety lines.
It’s a very high quality safety tool enabling a sailor to cut free with a “valley”
like shape to keep the blade unexposed,
yet ready to use, preventing accidental cutting of both you and your gear.
A good, compact handle is designed to be easily grabbed onto when needed and comes
with a lanyard secured to it's sheath. It is lightweight, compact, and intuitive to use.
A great gift for any offshore sailor."
I paid $34.99 at Westmarine because I wanted it so bad,
but than I saw it HERE! for $22.95

DrLW
Attachments
Line Cutter Knife.jpeg
Line Cutter Knife.jpeg (4.39 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:05 pm

These are all awesome referrals for knives. I love the benchmade my friend gave me years ago. I've actually split kindling with ease on a camping trip with it.

DRLW and Laughing man, do you guys feel that if you were tangled up you could slip your fingers in yours quickly and get a good grip and have leverage to cut your safety leash if say it wrapped your leg? I suppose practice simulations would help. These look better than the T REX to me now because I could sacrifice a water shirt and sew the sheath pocket onto the chest somewhere.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:33 pm

eree wrote:
Laughingman wrote:Not sure about the one you posted but this one by benchmade will cut 3/8" am steel like butter and it is the knife I carry on me when I kite...

where do you keep it when you kite? in original pouch somewhere on your west or harness?
i don't want another thing on me catching kite lines
I had the original sheeth sewn on the right side front of my harness just inside of the buckles. The handle sits up about 3/4", enough to grab it. I have jabbed my side with it once or twice durning severe wipe outs but other then that it's not noticable.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:37 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:These are all awesome referrals for knives. I love the benchmade my friend gave me years ago. I've actually split kindling with ease on a camping trip with it.

DRLW and Laughing man, do you guys feel that if you were tangled up you could slip your fingers in yours quickly and get a good grip and have leverage to cut your safety leash if say it wrapped your leg? I suppose practice simulations would help. These look better than the T REX to me now because I could sacrifice a water shirt and sew the sheath pocket onto the chest somewhere.
I don't know, but if I was ever being dragged by my leg through the water I don't want to be wishing at that moment that I had a knife.....

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:51 am

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:DRLW and Laughing man, do you guys feel that if you were tangled up you could slip your fingers in yours quickly and get a good grip and have leverage to cut your safety leash if say it wrapped your leg? I suppose practice simulations would help.
If the safety leash is wrapped around the leg, I'm not sure,
but in my case the line which was attached to the safety leash was rapped around couple months ago
and being pulled under the water what made me to decide to buy a high quality one. :idea:

DrLW

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:41 am

just don't bother carrying the kite company freebie
plastic handle - aluminum blade
safety knife
pure krap!
NO real knife builder uses such a weak waffleing (Obama like) metal!

Return to “Kitesurfing”