Helix 2010 questions

Forum for kitesurfers
woodfu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Helix 2010 questions

Postby woodfu » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:52 am

Yes i know the kite is old news, but i've been away from kiting for a few years and have recently picked up an 8m to get back into it and would be keen for any info from people who had these..

I've always wanted a 4 line sle that flew like a torch and the helix seems pretty close.. inclined to loop like a C unless you pull the bar end really hard to get it to pivot loop like a bridled kite. Liked that, turns similar and holds power through turns. Liked that to.. well impressed with the self landing ability as well. Only thing im not sold on is the bar feeling, its fine once the kite in engaged but its a little sloppy like most older sle's were at the turn initation.. this is what breaks the illusion for me and reminds me that i am in fact not flying a 4 line torch. Funnily enough it reminds me of the few fuels I've tried..pre 2010 they were lots of power and a soggy bar feeling.

So did anyone tune theirs to be more reactive at the bar? Set the bar ends to wide and the back lines to short/front lines long??

I'd also like to set up an above the bar trim system, anyone have the measurements for the amount of throw and trim they work with?

Anyone know where i can get a 10.5m?

Has there been a kite similar since?

Seems like the industry has exploded since i was last paying any attention.

Thanks in advance.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: Helix 2010 questions

Postby Dirk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 am

I had the whole range of the Helix from 6 to 14. I liked them a lot apart from being very light on the bar. They are super stable in the air and in gusty conditions.

Before the Helix I had the Naish Ravens for a long time and loved the crisp bar feeling.
I am now on the 2013 Naish Park and that is much closer to being a 4-line Torch. More feel to through the bar, turns quicker than the Helix and overall a nice, versatile kite. The 2014 version with the fixed bridle is supposed to be even closer to the C-kite feel.

On the Helix you will get more pressure on the bar if you use the inner most rear attachment points. I personally always used the outer attachment points as I wanted the kite to turn as quick as possible.

The Naish Bolt is pretty close to the Helix. It might be easier to find one of these as they were produced until 2012. I still have a 5m for the nuking days.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 am

I had the whole range of the Helix from 6 to 14. I liked them a lot apart from being very light on the bar. They are super stable in the air and in gusty conditions.

Before the Helix I had the Naish Ravens for a long time and loved the crisp bar feeling.
I am now on the 2013 Naish Park and that is much closer to being a 4-line Torch. More feel to through the bar, turns quicker than the Helix and overall a nice, versatile kite. The 2014 version with the fixed bridle is supposed to be even closer to the C-kite feel.

On the Helix you will get more pressure on the bar if you use the inner most rear attachment points. I personally always used the outer attachment points as I wanted the kite to turn as quick as possible.

The Naish Bolt is pretty close to the Helix. It might be easier to find one of these as they were produced until 2012. I still have a 5m for the nuking days.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:04 am

So the Helix changed quite a bit. 2010 is definitely the one that has a huge initial pull. I would agree with Dirk that the kite is light on the bar, so to get a bit more bar pressure move the back attachment forward.

The 8 was definitely a magic one.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fdvj » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 am

I sold my 7m 2010 helix, which was a mistake, but managed to find another which cost me half what I sold the old one for. The small ones are keepers. :D

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks guys, hand another session on it these last few days, still tuning it, like the bar feeling more with shorter back lines but found it over sheeting a lot.. Still im a big fan and I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more to collect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”