Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2 weeks in Cabarete -- good for beginner?

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2 weeks in Cabarete -- good for beginner?

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:54 am

that place is a Kitemare for a beginner, I went there to learn back 2002 and was shitting myself, over 80 plus kiters in a very small area, the local kiters was doing tricks right at the shore break, over 30 kiters and students on the beach, countless amount of kites just sitting on the beach and the water is deep and choppy, didn't learn shit during my time there. I use to teach for a over a year, Any place you go make sure the water is shallow enough so you can stand up, the learning curve in deep water is twice as long then in shallow waters. You have good learning conditions in Miami, check Miamikiteboarding ask for Chris the frenchy :) tell him I sent ya . We have awesome conditions too, Exuma is the paradise for any level kiter, Nassau is good too but only in Easterly winds.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Corpus and Houston won't be crowded during spring break. Everyone here goes to SPI lol. And I normally start going to a shorty in March and might have a few days when I don't even wear a wetsuit.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:09 pm

March and April are the the best months here in the Florida Keys. It has been one of the windiest seasons on record. The water is clear, warm and shallow. Plenty to do for family if not kiting, great restaurants, awesome diving, snorkeling and fishing. Spring break is not so bad down here unless you go to Key West.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

noel wrote:March and April are the the best months here in the Florida Keys. It has been one of the windiest seasons on record
TheJoe wrote:Corpus and Houston won't be crowded during spring break.
Which place has Fewer Sharks ?
I don't wanna be eaten !!

Bille

DCnoob
Rare Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby DCnoob » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:13 pm

noel wrote:March and April are the the best months here in the Florida Keys. It has been one of the windiest seasons on record. The water is clear, warm and shallow. Plenty to do for family if not kiting, great restaurants, awesome diving, snorkeling and fishing. Spring break is not so bad down here unless you go to Key West.
Noel, I didn't know the Keys were a good kite boarding destination.

If not Key West itself, where would you recommend for a beginner?

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Go Cuba - Varadero: low cost and exotic - enough space on the blue sea and white sandy beaches - waist deep water

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 am

DCnoob wrote:
noel wrote:March and April are the the best months here in the Florida Keys. It has been one of the windiest seasons on record. The water is clear, warm and shallow. Plenty to do for family if not kiting, great restaurants, awesome diving, snorkeling and fishing. Spring break is not so bad down here unless you go to Key West.
Noel, I didn't know the Keys were a good kite boarding destination.

If not Key West itself, where would you recommend for a beginner?
I have lived here in the keys since 2002 and originally moved to Key West. I love Key West for partying and a great getaway at times but the riding is just ok as it is choppy and deep at the only riding spot and isn't good for beginners. If you get with one of the schools there, they can take you to the flat (@5 miles) offshore. Riding out on the flats is an epic adventure and I highly recommend it.

Islamorada is by far the best town with the best spots with an awesome 10 mile down winder. The flats are close to shore. The town is very laid back. Lots of nice resorts on ocean fronts and great dining with 3 great riding spots. Today it was 80 degrees and the water temp is 73 and it is nicer in March. Oh! Don't miss the full moon party.

Marathon is in the middle keys and is more commercialized. Fast food, Walmart, lots of shops. 1 great riding spot and another that is epic when onshore.

If you got any questions or looking for resort or hotel ideas, try the local guys.

oTHErside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com
(305)853-9728

There is also a cable park for training and riding.

Keys Cable
www.keyscable.com

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:00 am

the first and last weeks of march are do-able on SPI, but the middle two are basically off limits

nice to see prokite made the list! thanks. we are here delivering awesome kite experiences all year round, and are just now getting some special stuff organized for this coming spring: weekly evening clinics on a range of topics, on the fly photo and video services for the riders at our beach, and kite-trip group house rentals to help make your trip that much more fun! send an email or pm to get on our mailing list and look for details in our winter newsletter coming out .... eventually.

mid / light suits need to be packed until early May (unless its a short trip and the forecast is for hot weather). although we are generally out of suits in March it is still possible to get cool air temps during North winds until then.

brett newcomb
http://www.prokitesouthpadre.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com
855 SPI KITE (774 5483)

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Long Bay, on Provo in Turks and Caicos. Shallow (can stand up almost anywhere) warm and sandy. Great place to learn. When its crowded there are a dozen kiters on a mile and a half of beach. More expensive that Cabarete, but if you find a condo/hotel/house one lot back from beach not that bad.

If you can wait a little longer, head down to Hatteras in May, sound souldn't be too cold and if its a good Spring can be quite warm. Last few years water was between 65-75 third week of May. Houses are cheap too, up until about the last week of May/first week of June. Wind can be a little iffy but we've never been skunked completely, we get out at least two of five days.

Whatever you do, get a good tinstructor, will speed up your progress.

DCnoob
Rare Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby DCnoob » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone. This has been so helpful.

At this point I've narrowed it down to the Keys -- Key West or Islamorada. Here's why:

* Flat water, making it great for a total beginner like me.
* Reliable wind.
* Pretty accessible from DC.
* Spring break isn't *too* bad.
* February is likely warm enough; March and April are definitely warm enough.
* Couple brand-name schools there, which makes me think the instruction is good, professional, and mature.

Would you agree?

Return to “Kitesurfing”