maradon1
Rare Poster
Gear: best bularoo 16m, tribal f-one 2 13m, cabrinha nomad 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FYI Colorado

Postby maradon1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:42 pm

It's pretty steep on both sides. East side is more open. Don't know what's the typical wind up there, but almost everytime I was there the wind went up from both sides (even when forecast was W) :)

So this spot worked for me 39.662601,-105.887532

you can go from the pass or from that turn down there if you are ok with little hike through those trees... Then it's nice skiing back to car :)

But I can imagine all that ridge above loveland ski area could work pretty well...

GeHo
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: So far, Lake McConaughy up in Nebraska!
Gear: OZONE: 12m Catalyst, 17m Zephyr, 7m Frenzy, 11m Frenzy
BEST: 5.5m Kahoona, 9.5m Kahoona

Postby GeHo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:25 am

Dillon Res looks like it be happening New Years Day 2014!
I'm in.
Heading up early in da morn. Ski traffic gonna suck I bet. Oh well.

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC

Postby rickythecat » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:08 am

Dillon Reservoir is going to be best at 'Farmers Corners' - the Breck end of the lake. There is enough snow to get an edge.

The Dillon side of the lake is frozen, but not really any snow coverage yet. The Iceboats have been enjoying this the last 2 days.

The center of the lake still has open water.

I'll also try to be at Farmers Corners on New Years Day - winds are usually good around 1:00.

Rick - riding the CORES

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 am

maradon1 wrote:...Rabbit Ears is good but it doesn't work everytime :( Only big open spots are around east summit but wind is from West most of the time and it's blocked with trees from that side... South wind works pretty good. I wish there were no trees on rabbit ears, then it'd be another Skyline :D :D :D
I have to ask one of those questions that I hate to ask....here goes...

I'm going to be out in Steamboat for 5 days next week. Would like to bring kites with me and it's too late to ship them, so I have to fly with kite gear but will only be able to bring one kite. What size would you recommend if I can only bring one LEI with me? (7/9/12/14)

I'm leaning towards the 12 if it is more often light up there and the 9 otherwise. They are Slingshot Rallys so have pretty good range and depower.

Thanks! Hope I get a windy day and see some folks up there,

:thumb:

maradon1
Rare Poster

Postby maradon1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Hey, hope it's not too late... :) Definitely not 9M. I usually ride 13/16 up there. Had a great session on Monday with my 13m (14-17mph).

There is some nice wind in forecast for this weekend (15-20mph) Not sure how it'll be during the week though :/

So if only 1 kite - I would bring 12M.

Looks like lot of work for me next week :( but I'll be up there at least some afternoon if we'll get some good wind.

GeHo
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: So far, Lake McConaughy up in Nebraska!
Gear: OZONE: 12m Catalyst, 17m Zephyr, 7m Frenzy, 11m Frenzy
BEST: 5.5m Kahoona, 9.5m Kahoona

Postby GeHo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:40 am

Has anyone ever taken a looksee up 'round Saint Mary's Glacier?
Spent lots of time up there preparing for Mt. Rainier back in '08. Wasn't kiting then, but I kinda remember there being lots of space up high and would assume the winds are funky with the topography?
And too...what's taking Dillon Res so long to ice over to be safe? Maybe it's all dat bong action firing after Jan 1st!
Heehee :jump:
PeAcE

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 pm

The highway sign has been changed to call it St. Mary's Alice. I used hike and ski it a lot in the summers till the 4th of July when it melted back too much. I've heard there have been a lot of people hurt there, and I almost skied off a cliff over rocks once until I took the time to view the blind landing area of rocks. The last accident I recall was an avalanche killing some people up there a few years ago. Used to camp on top and the wind was very strong at night. I've never gone up there in the winter.

I don't think it is a safe place to go, and maybe by the time you drive up Fall River Road and the hike up to it, and again coming back, it might be faster to drive on to Dillon to kite.

Update - they had an avalanche on November 24, 2013, no injuries, link -
http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/a ... acc_id=508
Last edited by Dave_5280 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC

Postby rickythecat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:47 pm

O.k.
Lake Dillon update. Strangely, there is STILL an open area in the center of the lake! Appears it may be freezing this morning.

Otherwise, the lake IS now kitable. Farmer's Corner has good snow coverage, and we've been kiting there for a couple weeks.

edited jan.13.14 Lake Dillon is frozen.:cheer: The Dillon side of the lake is also kitable. I got a few hours in today between the blizzards we've been having. Still some patches of windblown ice, but plenty of snow for getting an edge.
Rick

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 pm

maradon1 wrote:Hey, hope it's not too late... :) Definitely not 9M. I usually ride 13/16 up there. Had a great session on Monday with my 13m (14-17mph).

There is some nice wind in forecast for this weekend (15-20mph) Not sure how it'll be during the week though :/

So if only 1 kite - I would bring 12M.
Thanks for getting back to me! I did miss your message earlier, but luckily I brought the 12M and it was the perfect choice on Tuesday. There were 7M days as you know, but during those blizzards I was in the resort running lift served laps on fresh powder. No complaints.

Anyway, the pass was closed so we ventured up to the lake. More details and pictures in rvvrats "roadtrip" thread...

:thumb:

maradon1
Rare Poster

Postby maradon1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:34 am

Cool! Looks awesome :) Yeah that storm was little scary and gusty up on the mountain, I went to trees for some powder too... :)

Return to “Snow / Land”