Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Progression of the Bi-Directional Hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Progression of the Bi-Directional Hydrofoil

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am

I think the twintip foil is more interesting at the moment than directional foils.
Directional foils are easy to figure out in technical terms and will be the most efficient.
They are now at the stage where making them cheaper is almost the most important part.

Twintip foils are a very interesting compromise and I will be interested to see where they end up.
Until they have been developed to somewhere near where they can go, we don't know the limits.

They may have a place for beginners. Something may be found that has applications elsewhere.
Its a new research area.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Hawaiis wrote:For a beginner to start on a directional surfboard is like a teenager trying to learn on a stick shift car. It is possible, but just harder.
I think we are off topic now...

But I dont agree, and have returned to teaching (not often anymore, mostly friends) on directionals again, as I find it works easier and better.

You have got more hold from the fins, for one.

And you get a natural motion in the right direction standing natural, without having to stand awkvard with one leg bent (and remember to as a newbee).

Both of above means beginners can ride in a much shorter amount of time :D , and avoid the typical "side skipping" every single beginner otherwise experiences on a TT :(

Furthermore, you have a board with more buoyancy, so much easier to KEEP going when new, and you dont have the kite control yet.

It will even be much easier to learn to go upwind, and get even more "practice" on the water, instead of walking back on the beach :naughty:

So going back to the roots (we all started on directionals the first many years), makes sense nowadays, where a lot (most ?) ends up on directionals anyways now (or maybe even their only goal, if into waveriding, or a pre surfer or windsurfer, or into light wind kitesurf or racing or foilboarding)

The times are a-changing, great to see that :thumb:

But as said - I think it is somewhat off topic (or ?)

8) Peter

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm

I too learn to drive with a stick shift. More control, faster and better fuel economy. Just a little harder to learn.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 pm

My point was/is, I think it is easier to learn kitesurfing on a directional :thumb:

(not talking race or hydrofoil here - just basic kitesurfing for the very first time)

8) Peter

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

If a surfboard with no straps is easier for beginners to learn, I am sure all kite schools will be using it to teach beginners, why are kite schools using twin tips then?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm

It does (IMO) not make sense to use surfboards without straps for teaching - why would you do that ???

I think surf schools are using TT's because "they have always done it like that", and because part of their target group want to do freestyle.

But as said - because more and more are going the directional route nowadays, compared to earlier - things can change and it can make sense to teach on strapped directionals in many cases, for several reasons - one being it is easier/faster to learn.

8) Peter

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:03 pm

The main advantage of TT over surfboard for beginners is in changing direction.
Even if you go thru the trouble of installing straps on a surfboard, it is still too floaty for a beginner to hold down with the foot strap on the water. During the change of direction, the twin tip will not lose any ground downwind.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:43 am

I know we are off topic but i agree fully with Peter's view

Schools are stuck in their ways

Directional with straps teaching is very easy in smooth water

Gets the student on a plane immediately having fun...let the 4" fins do the work...and a little float

Forget about the turning around part for a moment

They can learn to drop themselves in the water re-position the board and come back to point A

Let them feel the rush of riding in a straight line...they will have time later to learn all the rest

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:29 am

They will have problem even putting their feet in the strap with a floaty surfboard., their body will twist and turn, they can not even get in the starting position without a lots of energy to push the board into the water to edge. I remember those windsurfing days, waterstarting was the steepest learning curve of all the sports that I have tried. If only windsurfing have twin tips, they would still be around today.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:20 am

I started learning with a converted 222cm windsurf board (too much volume in the rails - couldn't sink them).
Tried a Bic surfboard (the rails didn't bite as well as a twintip) and a 7' directional kiteboard (which I got going on) and a twintip. I found the twintip was the easiest to learn on because of the bite of the rail, the ease of getting into the straps (because of the low volume) and not having to turn the board round.
I had windsurfed so board control wasn't a problem.

The foil will be a different situation as the learner can already kite and only someone like Hawaiis will be able to compare learning on a directional foil to learning on a twintip foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”