Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite knives, anyone tried the leatherman Z Rex?

Forum for kitesurfers
BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite knives, anyone tried the leatherman Z Rex?

Postby BiteMe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 am

Just ordered a Gerber GDC Hook Knife http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Kn ... _31-001695

Hasn't arrived yet. So I'm not sure how it's going to work out.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby BiteMe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:26 am

The GDC knife arrived. Some of the reviews of the hook knife on Amazon indicated that it can fall out of it's protective sheath. So I wrapped a small O-Ring around the blade and sheath. The O-Ring holds it in and should keep it from coming loose. It does not require excessive force to remove the blade. I tested and can easily pull it out with one hand. I wear an impact vest most days so I've mounted the knife to the zipper. Haven't been out with it yet.
Attachments
100_2704.JPG

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 am

BiteMe wrote:The GDC knife arrived. Some of the reviews of the hook knife on Amazon indicated that it can fall out of it's protective sheath. So I wrapped a small O-Ring around the blade and sheath. The O-Ring holds it in and should keep it from coming loose. It does not require excessive force to remove the blade. I tested and can easily pull it out with one hand. I wear an impact vest most days so I've mounted the knife to the zipper. Haven't been out with it yet.
Nice job, I had to really look to,see where you stashed it. Please keep us informed as you test it. Hope you never have to use it!

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:41 pm

There was a great deal of discussion on this KF thread: Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343820

I would be interested in knowing the results of a comparison test, that you could easily do. The test would involve taking a piece of old kite line into a kite shop that sells the newest model of the DaKine double-bladed hook knife. Have a person hold the kite line stretched out firmly, with their 2 hands. Then, first cut the string with the knife under discussion, and then do the same thing with the DaKine hook knife. Let us know which knife cut the line with the least amount of force exerted.

Also, post the result on the above mentioned thread. It is nice to keep all the data in one thread, for future reference.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:59 pm

tomatkins wrote:There was a great deal of discussion on this KF thread: Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!

I would be interested in knowing the results of a comparison test, that you could easily do. The test would involve taking a piece of old kite line into a kite shop that sells the newest model of the DaKine double-bladed hook knife. Have a person hold the kite line stretched out firmly, with their 2 hands. Then, first cut the string with the knife under discussion, and then do the same thing with the DaKine hook knife. Let us know which knife cut the line with the least amount of force exerted.

Also, post the result on the above mentioned thread. It is nice to keep all the data in one thread, for future reference.
I've done this with the knife I posted above against a Dakine... I tested it on kite line and 3/8 Amsteel. The Dakine would cut the kite line but you had to seesaw it a bit while with the benchmade it was like taking a razor to a thread.... The Amsteel required some pull with the benchmade but not so much you couldn't manage it ... The Dakine was not suited for cutting 3/8 Amsteel

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 am

Laughingman wrote:
tomatkins wrote:There was a great deal of discussion on this KF thread: Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!

I've done this with the knife I posted above against a Dakine... I tested it on kite line and 3/8 Amsteel. The Dakine would cut the kite line but you had to seesaw it a bit while with the benchmade it was like taking a razor to a thread.... The Amsteel required some pull with the benchmade but not so much you couldn't manage it ... The Dakine was not suited for cutting 3/8 Amsteel

That sounds like the second generation DaKine knife with the 2 blades which each had a double bevel. The newest model (maybe 2 or three years old) has 2 blades and each blade has a single bevel. When I did the test on kite line, there was no need for any sawing motion... just a tiny tug on the knife was needed.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:49 am

BiteMe wrote:The GDC knife arrived. ....
I bought one of these knives to attach to my paraglider harness. I would not recommend it for kiteboarding. The curve of the blade is too small. It takes a lot of force to cut through a kite line.

There is no slicing action when cutting. All that is working for you is the sharpness of the blade. It is better than nothing, but a purpose built kitesurfing knife is much better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”