Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where is everyone? Poole, B'm,Mudiford, Highcliffe, Calshot?

Forum for kitesurfers
JDMsquirrel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southampton, UK
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where is everyone? Poole, B'm,Mudiford, Highcliffe, Calshot?

Postby JDMsquirrel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi, Sunday had a southerly from 10am at 15+ mph rising to 20+ through the day. I could not find a single kite surfer at around 11am in the water or even parking up ready to get in. I'm fairly new to the area, am I missing something? I'm only just at the upwind riding level and I am reluctant to get in the ocean alone, and self launch in the conditions of that day. It was a wasted trip for me. Where were you all??

My only guess is that it was high tide on a stormy tidal surge (fairly rough and small launch areas). The waves at Mudiford and Highcliffe looked great fun as I sadly looked on from the beach. I hate missing precious kiting time in good wind because I have 2 toddlers that sap my time. I need local info. Was there a danger?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Where is everyone? Poole, B'm,Mudiford, Highcliffe, Cals

Postby james » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Mudeford, highcliffe etc all work on a low tide, high tide has very strong tidal current that runs wind with tide making upwind very hard hence no one there, the waves spread out better as the tide is lower.

Ad in the storm fonts and volatile weather and you get your answer as to why no one was out

Get down to calshot on a lowish, mid tide and get the shop guys to help you out with local knowledge, launch and landing etc and a hot drink for a post session warm up.

Really at the level you say you at with the current weather I would wait till there are others that can keep an eye on you.

JDMsquirrel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southampton, UK
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JDMsquirrel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks James. It sounds like a good decision to stay out of the water in order to come back another day. I guess poole harbour would have been relatively safe in the conditions but without anyone else out there I still wouldn't take the risk.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 am

No worries

To be honest I. That kind of wind poole would have been a no go too, the proximity of road cars concrete and everything else that lines the harbour would remove any safety buffer IF something was to go wrong.

There are days when it's better to stay warm dry and safe, good on you for making that decision.

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider

Postby g0nz0 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Hey, yeah as James says, come over and see us at 24-7 Boardsports. We are the small white bungalow on the end of calshot spit. We're shut Sundays at the moment but will be back to 7 days a week in March. If it's any good there are generally people about here. We do have a fair bit of tide so drop in and pick up a tide table and we can fill you in with what spots work in what wind directions and tide states.

Dan

Return to “Kitesurfing”