Moses T38 board, M91, W695/W671 , s420/s400
Zfoil 710
Brand Affiliation: Reedin / Moses
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush VXR 15/17 vs Naish Draft 17 vs Switchkite Nitro 16

Postby Olivier2bnod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi

I need to replace my North rhino 16, I'm hesitating between the following kites, that fit my budget
- Airush vxr 15m or 17m (just saw that team riders had good result with it in slalom or race championship, someone told me that it is average in jumping)
- Naish Draft 17m (read that this one could be quite hard to relaunch but got lot of powerhorse)
- Switch Kite Nitro 16m (don't really know this one)
The program is the same as the Rhino so freerace orientated, full speed run and old school jump ;)
Wind range: 8~10 to 15 knots but if it could hold 18~20 knots guts, it would be nice :)
Board : RRD K-free
Rider : 92kg
If you had the opprotunity to ride those kite or compare them, I would be please to get your feedback

Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush VXR 15/17 vs Naish Draft 17 vs Switchkite Nitro 1

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:47 am

I don't really find it hard to relaunch the Draft. If it is a worry it has the light wind relaunch system and that makes it super easy to relaunch.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:02 pm

You do not know the Switch Nitro.
well you can test it if you want, there is a 30 day money back...so not satisfied you can send it back, ofcourse the kite should be in mint condition...
have a look at their webpage.. www.Switchkites.com
good luck in your search
cheers dude :cool2:

bouclette
Rare Poster
Gear: Too many

Postby bouclette » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 pm

VXR in both 15 and 17m from 2013 (V2) are great light wind machines, they are significantly lighter than the Nitro and Draft therefore have a better (easier) low end. They are a big improvement over the 2012 models.
I tried the Nitro 2 16m and above 10/11 kts it is a very nice kite but needs quite some work to keep in the air below that if you have some chop. Maybe the Nitro 3 has improved there?

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:40 pm

bouclette wrote:VXR in both 15 and 17m from 2013 (V2) are great light wind machines, they are significantly lighter than the Nitro and Draft therefore have a better (easier) low end. They are a big improvement over the 2012 models.
I tried the Nitro 2 16m and above 10/11 kts it is a very nice kite but needs quite some work to keep in the air below that if you have some chop. Maybe the Nitro 3 has improved there?
Nitro V3 has nothing to do anymore with Nitro v1or 2
No pulleys, light barpressure, stable, very good lowend....he should try and test.
Testing is knowing!
Dude 8)

Olivier2bnod
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 92kg
Gear: Reedin Supermodel 7/9/12
Flysurfer Soul 12m
Zfoil 710

Postby Olivier2bnod » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

thanks, the Switch Nitro try period is really good to know.
I was about to go for the Draft 17, but I'm a bit concerned about its wind range in the high end, the relaunch and the octopus system in case of leak

Olivier2bnod
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 92kg
Gear: Reedin Supermodel 7/9/12
Flysurfer Soul 12m
Zfoil 710

Postby Olivier2bnod » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:43 pm

looks like the relaunch issu could be a myth ;)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Olivier2bnod wrote:thanks, the Switch Nitro try period is really good to know.
I was about to go for the Draft 17, but I'm a bit concerned about its wind range in the high end, the relaunch and the octopus system in case of leak

Hey so in the years I've used Naish kites I've had one leak with the octopus system and that was a 5 min fix. I've had a lot of kites with the system on..it is super solid and finding and fixing a leak is also super easy.

I have not tried the upper end of the 17 I was riding it comfortably in I think in about 17 mph was no problem at all. If I can use the smaller kites in the rang to judge the upper rang of the kite then you'll have no problem at all. Bonus IMO is the number of struts makes the kite feel much more agile than I would expect for a kite with that shape and size.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

you should chose from VXR and Draft. i tried vxr and nitro. vxr is good kite for what you want it to use, from what i heard draft is similar to vxr.
but the nitro 16 is the worst kite i ever had/tried! since you are so much out of their target group weight range you'll most probably will have difficulties in the "not so much perfect flat conditions" with it. it is slowest kite to turn ever! and usually you have to use two sizes bigger kite than the "average" kiter, instead of usual one size bigger with normal kites.
newer switch nitros are much less race oriented since they are redesigned to be more agile and that is why they have less projected area and big c-type wing tips. so, no good for slalom or race.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Olivier2bnod:
Unfortunately some posters here support or bash different brands and their kites without actually flying them. They also attempt to justify their bias and self-interests with pseudo-science and unsupported 'BS.' Here is a report (quoted below in Blue) from someone weighing 90kg who has actually bought and used the Nitro3: http://www.switchkites.com/headquarters ... f=5&t=2609.

There are plenty of other user reports there and you are free to participate in the discussion and learn the facts. You can also try a Nitro3 and return it for a full refund if you do not like it.

Whatever kite you do get, enjoy it! :thumb: :thumb:
Cheers!

Just wonna give big props to the designers, Well done! I have the 10m v3 and just got and went out on the 12m. Oh my god. I totally love it. Wind was at 16knots. This kite handles so well, still moves fast for its size, Boosts great, very light but still responsive on the bar. It’s so light I actually pumped up my method v1 9m. The bar pressure is lighter on the nitro 12m!

In the afternoon the wind got too strong, prob starting to hit gusts of around 23 or more. I could still manage to hold the kite fine and stay out, but when I sent the kite for a boost off a wave…… Oh my gaud, up up and away. As I was in the air (way up in the air) the kite still felt light, responsive with nice float. When I finally started coming down I gave the kite a tug, it pulled a smooth, even downloop and I touched down light and in control. I repeated this over and over again. Basically thanks to the Nitro V3, I am now the boost king of the area and my kiting skills seems to have improved 200%, as the kite is so stable, smooth with light bar pressure, I can now start to pull off easily board grabs, board offs and other slightly gay old school big air tricks. :D :D

I cannot think of a single negative for these kites, if I must pick some holes, the best I can come up with is that you need to pump the kites real hard otherwise they will deform slightly when you pull hard kite loops. That’s all I have got, and to be honest I have found this to be the case with a lot of kites. The harder and more aggressive you are with the kite, the harder you need it to be pumped.

I have just ordered an 8m as they are now available. Seriously well done. Guys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”