2014 Carafino Performance Board & Carbon Race Wings

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Carafino News:

2014 Carafino Performance Board & Carbon Race Wings

1 cara.png
1 cara.png (241.61 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
http://youtu.be/NO7Bc6gNA4k

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to all of you out there in kite surfing land.

Things are progressing fast for Carafino 2014, I have released a video made a couple days ago introducing the new performance model and racing wings we are manufacturing here in Bali at the Carafino facility.

http://youtu.be/NO7Bc6gNA4k

As you know, there are a some brands out there that are compatible with Carafino hydrofoil products. I have given this much thought and have decided to create the wing attachment points so that you can attach other brands to the Carafino T bar.

Ideally, I am making a three set wing design for light wind, larger blade area, free style performance wing, which allows you very good speed and tight turning radius and fast wing set, featured in the video, for going fast and straight to the marker in racing.

I want to thank KITEFORUM.COM and in consideration for their great website and what they are doing for the sport, Carafino will be offering a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE, only available through kiteforum.com special promo.

Our next video will feature the new boards with diamond attachment point.

Regards to all..... Carafino

http://carafino.wix.com/carafino#!__2014-hydrofoils
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-01-07 at 9.34.28 PM.png

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 Carafino Performance Board & Carbon Race Wings

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Can't wait to try your race set up.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am

C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:Carafino will be offering a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE, only available through kiteforum.com special promo.
Sounds incredible but if it works then it might be a great move into popularization of foilboarding - not only by Carafino :thumb:
3 years for hull and lifetime structural guarantee for foil that's another milestone :allbegood:

I am a bit surprise that your race board got 2 straps only. Thought 3 would work better for the course racing. And the small volume and narrow width... would it work well in winds below 8kts?
3kg of weight - that's really impressive!

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.
Favorite Beaches: Maui and the World.
Style: Perfect
Gear: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Brand Affiliation: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi BraCu...

Thanks for your reply and pat on the back! I really appreciate it.

As for the Race board, I have not debut this model yet. However if you view our race board web page, you will see the shape/outline. This board will be videoed and put up on the next week.

It is really exciting for me to speak/write about it.

So, let me tell everyone my theory on the race boards I currently see on the market. They are all TOO BIG!

The proof is in the pudding. Rush Randal, world class windsurfer and innovator was the first to experience and bring a foil wind surf board to the market in cooperation with Neil Pryde Maui back in 2002.

The first boards that Rush designed were made thick, wide and bulky to put it lightly. It was a result of creating something from vision. Rush may have thought,( naturally ) that floatation was required as they wanted to windsurf with light light winds which rarely occur on Maui.

What we learned was that a tremendous amount of load was put on the ankles with this type of board design, (windsurf board). Now the kite surfing race boards are not as wide and thick as a wind surf board, what I see and have tested is very similar to what was tested over a decade ago on Maui, with those wind surf athletes and big wave Jaws surfers who are the best in the world for innovation.

The current models for kite race boards, all stick when they touch the water, this can be confirmed by watching the youtube video of Johnny Hienken, excuse me if I misspelled the name. Meaning when the rider is fatigued, suddenly caught off balance by a strapless tack or jibe, the board nose touches the water and the board nearly stops. The rider is pulled off the board and falls, typically forward of the nose.

Though the current models are accomplishing the flight above the foil, my theory, which has lead to my development, (that can always be improved) is that all the board under your feet creates resistance to moving as fast as possible when race/speed is the objective.

Windage is a force created on an object by friction when there is relative movement between air and the object.

There are two causes of windage:

The object is moving and being slowed by resistance from the air.
A wind is blowing producing a force on the object.
Kite surfers on hydrofoils suffer from both of these types of windage particularly when going upwind, into the wind.

The term can refer to:

The effect of the force, for example the deflection of a missile or an aircraft by a cross wind
The area and shape of the object that make it susceptible to friction, for example those parts of a boat or moving object that are exposed to the wind

Aerodynamic streamlining can be used to reduce windage.

My theory is that a rider only requires the amount of board necessary to accomplish the following when racing.

A)The limited amount of buoyancy for starting line positioning, required for strategic positioning prior to the starting gun sounding to commence the race.

B) A streamlined board shape to reduce/eliminate all board windage area possible.

C) A leading edge (bow) similar to a catamaran vessel design to penetrate and separate the water surface. Thus eliminating as much as possible the reduction of board speed and enhanceing board stability.

D) A leading edge and board thickness (displacement) precise to displace water without submersion and stability loss occurring.

E) A deck area, (standing foot position area) large enough for jibing and tacking without effecting board stability when air board. That is to say, where your feet are positioned, the area should not be too great or too small. I understand someone may comment that everyone's feet are not the same size.

F) A board that provides the same stability as a boat, when resting on the waters surface.

In my experience and research, there are no boats in the world with a flat bottom that move through rough or chopping water seamlessly. Why should we fly flat bottom boards in the same manner as a boat moving through the water and expect a result from the board (hull) design not found in racing or tradition vessels (boats)?.

These are my theories to name a few.

I appreciate your input.

Carafino

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:52 pm

I totally agree with Mr. Carafino on the board size. A floaty race board only create more drag and slows down the hydrofoil. My home made board is only 1 inch x 14 inch x 42 inch.
Attachments
image.jpg

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Wow Carafino! Turning over a new leaf? Impressive!

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Hawaiis, I love your hydrofoil, True Hawaiian Style. So many things you can do with that.

And if you get washed up on a deserted treeless island, you can use it to make a fire!! Just joking.

I would love to ride that buggah.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm

C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:So, let me tell everyone my theory on the race boards I currently see on the market. They are all TOO BIG!
You might be right - I really hope because I don't like bulky boards too.
However I will share my final findings in March after tests in Thailand.
So far I made 5 prototypes starting from 50 up to 60cm wide and hull thickness from 7 up to 10cm. All of them 150cm long. To my disbelieve wider and thicker model worked better than the previous smaller one - especially in ultra light winds (below 8kts).
Another advantage of fat ones is ability to stay or sit on a stationary board - important during competition before the starting procedure (your A point) and in any circumstances in a case of emergency (kite in the water) - fat boards works as a decent float on which it's possible to lay, sit, rest, drift.

Windage - this subject is very interesting and I was thinking about it in foilboarding too. I deal with it on every windy day at job as a ferry master entering a harbour.
So far could not compare my two prototypes in comparable conditions. It requires two riders similar abilities on the same foil and kites. We have winter in Poland so would feel guilty to drag Max Zakowski to cold Baltic waters. Anyway he is not so keen on foilboarding.

Lucky you you can do tests every day! I feel jealous :angryfire: :wink: and find your observations interesting as not to many involved into design & production would share such knowledge - especially on forums. You remind me attitude of great Alex Aguera.

I really want to be proved wrong about the large volume and width!

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for your sharing of the proto's you are testing. Sorry to hear about the cold water. Not my favorite of choice. However I do have a Norway lady and despite her coming from the cold, she is very hot.

Nonetheless, I suggest you go longer to 170 from the 150 and a bit less in thickness and width. This will make a difference. The shape is up to you on the bow.

As far as sharing the technology design info. Well, I invented the sport of hydrofoil kiteboarding. Since then, there are 10+ new companies making foils. Not one company has thanked me for inspiring them. So, lets put all the info out there and see who can make the best quality product at the lowest consumer enjoying price. That is where my 14 years of manufacturing come in over the rest. Nothing cheap, just created cost affordable.

Everyone wants to go fast, ok, we go fast now. Or at least we try.

Edge19
Medium Poster
Local Beach: southend
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone Edges
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60

Postby Edge19 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm

You are right Carafino, ive been thinking the exact same for a while now. i dont foil yet but the board size only really counts in light winds to be able to get up and onto the plane after that its only for standing on etc.. i use a race board and it seems the race board scene crossing over to the foils now still has the race board size mentality. in an ideal world i suppose having board shapes for light wind and higher winds could be possible but a happy medium could be a good all rounder.

Good skills :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”