Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

19m Ozone Edge (In Brazil ready for some testing)

Forum for all hooked tricks
s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 19m Ozone Edge (In Brazil ready for some testing)

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 pm

I was saying we might have some nice wind to test this weekend. I'm hoping I can hold this a little over 20kns (This would be ideal)

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:04 am

With 32m racelines, racebar and shortened the frontlines 10 cm, and a SS glide with 6.25cm fins I can easy manage up to 25 knots in the gusts, I believe I can survive up to 30 knots with this kite.
Hangtime is way longer and it lifts way better and turns faster with lighter steeering impulses than on my 2011 Crossbow 16 on 25m lines. My racelines where not strong enough for freeride jumping, cause I broke one backline yesterday.
This is by far the best lightwind kite I ever used :D
Guttorm 202cm 108kg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:17 am

I was wondering until I saw the 108 kg ;-)

Way to fly :thumb:

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Guttorm I'm hoping your talking about the 19m Edge....

Thats great news. For 80k I can hold tons of wind in the kite. I've had my 16m Dyno folding up due to to much wind. The jumps where......... From Vitoria to Rio... lol

I will check the kite out today on the beach and go for a rip. Then we will see. Sunday we have more wind.

Your saying the standard lines are busting? Cant be any worse then North lol.

T

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Yes its about my Edge 19. :thumb:

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Ok, The fist thing I noticed was how fast the kite pumped up! I have not measured but I think the leading edge on the 19m is the same if not smaller then my 16m Dyno. As you Dyno guys know the Dynos have a massive front LE.

The kite with one pump is light. The kite has a really high aspect ratio you can see it on the beach even the 11m looks big on the beach.

The pigtails that connect your lines are going to be a problem on all Edges (thanks Hawaiis for finding this)

Ozone get this fixed. I think you should mail out some protective patches to you customers.

Self launch off the beach no issue far edge grabs the wind then the edge closest to you flips up and off you go.

@80k 128 board
wind

I was full power the entire session (no de-power used). For me everything was coming together at 15kns+
at 16kns it produced high long hang time jumps with no issue. I was surprised the height it was producing I didn't expect this out of such a big kite. In one jump I had a friend turn and head toward the kickers but he was "I thought" a safe distance down from me. In the end I inspected his bridal system (in air). Another time I almost landed on a paddle boarder. I had to start a chopper loop to pull away from him (I'm not sure he even seen me). So after i landed I came to the conclusion I need to recalculate jumping safety with this kite or kite alone. I'm not sure you can use this kite in a lagoon. If you do it better be big!

I did a straight up jump to test hang. I was a little in shock after locking the bar I was able to do a board backpass with extra time.

In the jumps as long as you jump and leave the kite at 1:30-2 or so you can lock the loop and do your tricks. With the smaller bar the kite moves nice and slow in the jumps. If you let the kite cross to 12 to quick you will need to start a chopper loop for sure. When the kite crosses 12 to early it will start to pick up speed as all kites will.

If you leave the kite at 1:30/2 as you are 3m above the water bring it over and every jump is a butter landing

Turning the kite (transitions) it does something really wild (all edges do this BTW). If you have the kite high above you they seem to come over your head and almost behind you. So you will have to spin you body and board to catch up or they will almost pull you over (fall on your back)

Water relaunch not an issue (can not comment on light wind)
Release relaunch no issue

Dark sides go on forever and ever..... You have to kill 80% of the power from the kite before looping the kite. You can do a slide with out the loop bring the kite back and do a board off no issue. Didn't try foot slide (to many beach goers)

I'm thinking I might be able to hold this kite to 20kns. I might bring the front lines in 5cm or so then I can readjust my north depower system to compensate (bring all lines back to "0"). I have the North bar set up I can actually allow for extra or less angle off attack in the kite if i need a little extra power or not. The North bar is a really nice combo. I just need to find a clean solution for the de-power line right now its a bit of a mess and pain.

So in general its a big kite that can jump and hang for sure. I've also found that is you really want to do airstyle you need at least an 18m kite. Caesar I would be really curious to see the fuse and edge side by side.

Edge;
If you kite with aggression and love to jump the edge series might be for you. If your a guy that slowly approach a kicker with the kite already at 11:30 you may not don't need this kite. But the edge will help you go up wind for sure and its a super stable easy relaunch kite.
Last edited by s1buell_wl on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Thx for Sharing!

For the wind file use the upload tool.

Any chance to see a short video of you to see height and hangtime?
10m at 15 knots sounds a bit unreal...or maybe you hit a perfect kicker.

Not sure if you can compare it to Fuse...might be a too big difference!

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Toby wrote:Thx for Sharing!

For the wind file use the upload tool.

Any chance to see a short video of you to see height and hangtime?
10m at 15 knots sounds a bit unreal...or maybe you hit a perfect kicker.

Not sure if you can compare it to Fuse...might be a too big difference!
Fixed,

Yea its almost impossible to guess your own height (I cut the hight out). But the time was there this was important for me. As you know it take some time to do a board backpass. I did not kick that hard either just calm straight up off the kicker.

I will have a look and see if I can put my gopro together. Lens is broke and it fogs all the time (peace of !@#$). We have one guy that has a cam maybe when he gets back we can make a small vid.

But I can not compare the 18m as I don't have one. You will in the end need to test this.

I have an 11m edge to I think Cesar has a 12m fuse :) could turn into a beer drinking bitching session lol

One more great thing is the peak of that wind graph is 17kns so the wind range seems to be there.

Return to “Airstyle”