Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go in April? Dakhla, Caribbean or something else?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
sepp_maier1976
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to go in April? Dakhla, Caribbean or something else?

Postby sepp_maier1976 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Hey!

We are looking for a good kite destination at the end of April. It should be beginner friendly and prefereably flat water. Choppy conditions are also ok but big waves are nothing for us. We found some spots in the Caribbean. The wind should be very reliable there but many people said, that the wind is not very strong. Most of the time under 20 knts and around 15 knts.
So we looked for another spot and found Dakhla. The spot sounds really interesting. But I am not sure if it is a good destination for April. I looked into the windguru stats and the wind does not seem to be strong either. Is there some thermal wind which windguru does not cover? Being in Dakhla with no wind I imagine as very boring... Sitting in the desert waiting for wind :D having no wind in the Caribbean is also anoying but it could be worse ;) this means I do not think it is as boring as sitting in Dakhla with no wind!

If you are searching for reliable wind and winds stronger than 18knts what would you suggest? Dakhla or Caribbean or something else? Our flight budget is about $900 from Frankfurt/Main.

Thanks for your tips
Sepp

Jose B
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alabama and Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Alabama and Sydney
Style: Wave riding
Gear: Naish 2012 Mission Harness

Re: Where to go in April? Dakhla, Caribbean or something els

Postby Jose B » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 am

Caribbean is the good place to Kite boarding ever. The windy season starts from Dec and tapers off in period of time. Winds blow within the 10-25 knots vary and gets stronger as summer approaches. The North Atlantic high generates the trade winds that blow throughout late spring and summer at a gradual 15-22 knots.

Awn
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fly Kitesurfing Ras Sudr
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr
Style: Airstyle
Gear: 2014 Dice 12meter
2014 Veagas 14 meter
Dakine seat harness
2012 fone trax 133*40
2010 crazy fly 127*38

Postby Awn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:53 am

Go to Egypt Wind is always good due to thermal winds. For Beginners go to Ras Sudr or Mars Allam , For intermediate go to Soma Bay or Gouna , Advance Go to Dahab

sepp_maier1976
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby sepp_maier1976 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you for your tipps :) but Egypt is not the place we are looking for, we are not so much into mass tourism and all-inclusive-culture. Additionally the political situation in Egypt is quite explosive. So we are happy with everything else than Egypt ;)
Caribbean sounds good, but many people mentioned that the winds in the Caribbean are low (only around 15knts). The same should be in Cabe Verde. 20knts to 25knts would be much nicer :D :D

tobi_kite4eva
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: SomaBay, Hurghada, ElGouna,
Style: OldSchool
Gear: Best Kahoon V3 - 9.5
North Rebel 2012, 7,12

Postby tobi_kite4eva » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi all.

If you want to go to egypt without mass tourism: I was on a kitesafari with BigDayz. They go with big safariboat for one week to amazing flat/shallow water kitespots in the Red Sea. Mostly no other kiters there... If no wind, you can also enjoy diving, wakeboarding with zodiacs, stand up paddle, just relax or take massage (mostly they have a massage girl on the boat). For more informations check: http://bigdayz.com/kite-kitesurfing-kit ... on-en.html

:thumb:
Cheers Tobi

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 am

Many US kiters go to Cape Hatteras in late spring (our midwest group goes each year for a week in late April). Perfect for learners and advanced, as the former can stay in the shallow flat sound while the latter can get in the ocean most days. Works on almost any wind direction, and if you are there for a week you are almost guaranteed at least a few good days, and maybe a whole week of wind. Only problem is the water can still be on the chilly side, so take a wetsuit and enjoy the hot tubs. Accommodations of every level are easy to find and there are tons of kitesurfing shops.

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby maurice_k » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:53 am

Let me first introduce myself. I have been kiteboarding since 2007 and have kited in some amazing places in the world, from the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean, France, Greece and Vietnam in South East Asia. I have been also teaching kiting as an IKO instructor passing on this wonderful sport to others.
The time has come for me to find a great place in the world that is exceptional for kiting and share this spot with other people who have the same passion about this sport.
I have ended up in Banda Aceh in Sumatra, Indonesia where the wind blows 15-30 knots from May to October. Here, I am working together with a friendly family run guesthouse on this Paradise island.
This is the place where we have chosen to open Seabreeze Kite Club in a beautiful location called Lhoknga.
This little Hidden Gem is still relevantly undiscovered and has so much to offer.
I would like to invite you to have a look at my website and hopefully meet you one day in the Windy season coming up soon.

www.seabreezekiteclub.com

FB; seabreezekiteclub and follow us on our journey.

Thanks for reading,
Maurice

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Hey Sepp, If I were you I would check out Puerto Rico. Excellent spots for beginners based on a variety of wind conditions and speeds. Lots of flat water / shallow spots with no one else around. If you fly into San Juan, there is a kite school right next to the SJU (Marin) Airport. www.15knots.com. They have a cool spot on the main Isla Verde Beach. Deep water though... flat spots within an hour drive of the main isla verde beach that are good for beginners:

- Luquillo Beach
- Rio Grande Beach (Playa Las Picuas)

If you want to drive a bit more to check out the island, about 1:30 min drive from San Juan is an awesome spot called Punta Puzuelo in Guyama. (Map it)

All of the above spots are flat water from a reef break about 500 yards off short. Water depths are all knee to chest deep based on tides. Water is WARM all year round... 80-85 degrees. Each spot mentioned above has angled onshore winds from 10-20kts. Picuas can some times have a SE Wind which the DW could take you out into a bay (this is if you aren't yet proficient at riding upwind), BUT there are some markers that show sand bars where you can drift DW if you cant get re-launched. You will drift right onto the sand bar that is knee deep to rescue yourself. This is only for SE winds. Anything E , ENE, or NE is perfect. Great beginner spots. Make sure to wear some reef booties as there are a few rocks/shells. More so at Puzuelo.

I have a place in Puerto Rico and its an awesome spot to learn with NO crowds. The 15 knots website has some more locations too! The above ones are safest for beginners/intermediate. Advanced can have fun there also

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Colombia has impressive winds! Once it gets less in Cartagena (currently blowing daily around 20 knots) you go further east. And the Cabo has about 100% all year round!

http://locations.splocs.com/kitesurf/co ... ombia.html

waterdonkey
Rare Poster

Postby waterdonkey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Are you maybe interested to come to Croatia??

Viganj is one of the most known windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Croatia. Because it is situated in the middle of a narrow channel between Peljesac and Korcula, the winds tend to blow twice as fast as it usually does in the Adriatic.The best month wit wind are APRIL,MAY,JUNE,JULY,AUGUST,SEPTEMBER,
Everd day the wind starts abou 2pm till sunset, sometime its starts in the morning (10:00)
iganj today has become a favorite meeting spot for wind and kitesurfers from all over Europe and world. Sea channel between Pelješac and Korčula and the wind that blows in it provides ideal conditions for windsurfing and kitesurfing. Such conditions are due to his position at the narrowest part of Pelješac channel due which when the wind blows gets multiple acceleration.Viganj today has become a favorite meeting spot for wind and kitesurferS. In the summer, mistral(northwest) is blowing and this wind is the best for enjoyments in this sports, his virtue is a constancy and a small wave, which enables the achievement of adrenaline speed!

Mistral usually starts around 12am and lifts up, at the right speed from 02pm to 08pm, the average strength reaches 5 beauforts, and if you are happy, up to 8!

www.water-donkey.com

Return to “Travel”