Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New Zealand Kitesurfing Advice

Postby baobob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:13 am

Hi woodfu,
it's true that it's hard to find nice waves in Muriwai.
I wanted just to point out that Auckland area can be really convenient. It's not a big deal do one session on the pacific and then one on the tasman. It happens to have strong NE in the morning and you can enjoy it in Orewa or in Mangawhai and then head west and catch some seabreeze. Eventually you can even do some wake at cable park at lunch time. :)

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks

Postby baobob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:14 am

Then plummet suggestions are really good!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:04 am

no proper waveriding at muriwai! i am hurt (my local)! lol - i have just witnessed keahi get shacked on a double overhead monster there. i think i know what you mean tho- not down the line... usually ..but my god nw downwinders are sooooo sick . can be a bit of a washing machine but soooo many faces to hit, even 3rd reforms can be sick with multiple turns, stickin up for my local... i'd swap it for pungarehu with a perfect sandy launching area in front tho.... dream on...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:no proper waveriding at muriwai! i am hurt (my local)! lol - i have just witnessed keahi get shacked on a double overhead monster there. i think i know what you mean tho- not down the line... usually ..but my god nw downwinders are sooooo sick . can be a bit of a washing machine but soooo many faces to hit, even 3rd reforms can be sick with multiple turns, stickin up for my local... i'd swap it for pungarehu with a perfect sandy launching area in front tho.... dream on...

Muriwai is an epic location. Not many places you can do a 50km down winder with car support driving right next to you. I've been in the muriwai washing machine in solid head to double head and it is a powerful place. The waves jack and dump scary fast. You definitely don't want to get eaten by one of those monsters.

But I am ruined for waves. Anywhere else I have been in the country simply doesn't even come close to my local on an average day as far as waves/wind angle are concerned.

woodfu
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby woodfu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:no proper waveriding at muriwai! i am hurt (my local)! lol - i have just witnessed keahi get shacked on a double overhead monster there. i think i know what you mean tho- not down the line... usually ..but my god nw downwinders are sooooo sick . can be a bit of a washing machine but soooo many faces to hit, even 3rd reforms can be sick with multiple turns, stickin up for my local... i'd swap it for pungarehu with a perfect sandy launching area in front tho.... dream on...
Sorry Ian, really all you're hearing in that post is my disappointment.. i know it can happen there (like anywhere around the north island) when our variable conditions line up, but the normal conditions don't really allow for it imo. Plummet where is your local, can i come?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm in the naki.

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:15 pm

No mention of Pt Chev :baby:

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:03 am

Wiski23 wrote:No mention of Pt Chev :baby:
None :lol:

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil

Postby Bradn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:25 am

Wiski23 wrote:No mention of Pt Chev :baby:
Odd right?? the wind is soooooooooo amazing and consistent there :lol:

surfm
Rare Poster

Postby surfm » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for your tips! Have been to Raglan today and had a great time riding this amazing flatwater spot. The waves there were not so good which is why I headed down to Taranaki. Staying in New Plymouth now and wondering what the best spot (for waves) is tomorrow? The wind should be strong ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”