Software for Kite Fabrication

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Software for Kite Fabrication

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Well-versed in AutoCAD and Google SketchUp (not so much solid works). But not so sure how all these are suitable for generating panel patterns. Any geeks out there using any low-cost platforms for kite design?

:readpb:

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Software for Kite Fabrication

Postby GregK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Interesting - tx.
:!:

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Blender + Python
It takes some time to get into blender but in combination with python you get all the flexibility you need to design and unfold your kite.
Surfplan (hobby) is superb to visualize kites. But be careful with higher AoA and FTs with a higher sweep back angle (delta kite).

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49 pm

PanTau wrote:Blender + Python
It takes some time to get into blender but in combination with python you get all the flexibility you need to design and unfold your kite.
Surfplan (hobby) is superb to visualize kites. But be careful with higher AoA and FTs with a higher sweep back angle (delta kite).

Yes, I cannot seem to extrude a delta kite from surfplan very well at all and the hobby version will not export the panels. :(

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:58 pm

there are rumors you can export the panels with some tinkering, but what does it give you?
are you going to produce the kites? if yes, cost of this software is the least you have to worry.

you will get better results with trial and error method. at least it seams the method all major brands use! after that they just insert the measurements in this software just to be able to e-mail and cut the panes overseas...
if you don't believe me read their interviews for yourself. there are only handful of real aerodynamic professionals in the kite industry!

this is another one software:

http://www.wingdesignsoftware.net/indexEN.htm

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 am

i am seriously considering doing an aerodynamic masters for a year, got a BEng already, simply because what I want no one makes. I made a 12m kite with surfplan years ago - took sooooo long to complete...

One of the kite factories has just given up on kitesurfing kites.... - one less experienced factory..

woodfu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby woodfu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:00 am

longwhitecloud wrote:i am seriously considering doing an aerodynamic masters for a year, got a BEng already, simply because what I want no one makes. I made a 12m kite with surfplan years ago - took sooooo long to complete...

One of the kite factories has just given up on kitesurfing kites.... - one less experienced factory..
Curious, what do you want in a kite?

Return to “Kitesurfing”