Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Light wind kite testing!

Postby heemskn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:31 am

I realize most folks want a light wind kite that goes upwind, but in light wind I prefer doing downwinders in the surf (on a directional with one strap; sorry supaEZ).

So even though these kites are not necessarily designed for this, it would be nice to see a comparison of turning speed, and your impression of how well they turn when you are not edging hard, or even riding towards the kite.

Also, it would be nice to see a FlySurfer 21 in the comparison, just as a benchmark for the super low end performance.

Thanks for making this happen, I look forward to seeing the results!

andrewb44
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Prea, Taiba
Style: freestyle
Gear: Core
Been thanked: 0

Postby andrewb44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 am

Can't wait for the results...hopefully won't be too biased.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:41 am

hangtime and lift please!

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:46 am

gbgreen59 wrote:Rate them by how well they stay in the air in the lightest of wind. I was out on a light wind day on Maui. All kites fell out of the sky at about the same time except the cloud. The last of us (4 or 5 kiters) on the water were riding race boards and foils. The guy on the Cloud set it on a wing tip still flying while he ignored it and talked to a friend. The kite stayed there until he got ready to go out again. He pulled in the bar brought the kite back overhead and took off on his board. No other kites were able to stay in the air reliably. I know I was wanting to be out but had to pack it up. So, which kite can stay in the air the longest when the wind is dropping?
What size Cloud?

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 am

andrewb44 wrote:Can't wait for the results...hopefully won't be too biased.
One thing we always say when reading reviews in magazines, it feels like there is never anything negative about any kite, and it feels like it's reviewed by guys who comment on how easy it was to do their unhooked backroll to revert.

We feel like we are like the majority of the kiters out there and want to see more reviews for the average rider and what they are looking for in a new kite.

We will be as subjective as possible, and they are all kites that I sell, so there is no reason for me to recommend one over the other. Can we get all the opinions out of it? No, but we will do our best, as we really take this kind of stuff very serious. Love seeing people interested. Thanks for all the feedback and messages everyone.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 am

Take the Flite 14.5 and Contra 15m for a rip too if you have one laying around please! I'm not necessarily looking for sub 10 kts performance. It's the 10-20+ range that I'm interested in. Lightwind wave riding!

I'm curious about the low end on a standard size twin (134x42ish), it's high end and usable range.

Thanks!

P.S. Use a SUPER sized American (or other international fatty) for the tests too..............Someone 185lbs.+. Not these little, spindly, rubber teenage kids that weigh a $1.05 soaking wet.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:52 am

heemskn wrote:I realize most folks want a light wind kite that goes upwind, but in light wind I prefer doing downwinders in the surf (on a directional with one strap; sorry supaEZ).

So even though these kites are not necessarily designed for this, it would be nice to see a comparison of turning speed, and your impression of how well they turn when you are not edging hard, or even riding towards the kite.

Also, it would be nice to see a FlySurfer 21 in the comparison, just as a benchmark for the super low end performance.

Thanks for making this happen, I look forward to seeing the results!

Actually the kites on that list lend themselves to such capabilities more than the race kites so it will be interesting. Blade fat lady I reckon is worth trying for what you said.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 am

+200 Pies and up for Real Static pull Test. No Popcorn fart riders. Clydesdale class only

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:57 am

I agree with Toby. Most concerned with hangtime and lift.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 am

Yes.....no light weight riders. That completely negates the test. You need some good cheese burger eatin', slurpee suckin', pork rind chewin' mofo's testing these kites. 190 lbs at least.

Also bump that Riot down to 17 meters like the others.

Return to “Kitesurfing”