Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Driving to Hatteras

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Rt 13 for sure. If you pass thru there in the middle of the night, midnight on, the stoplights are pretty much are green all the way through. Get Yahoo maps on your smartphone, it shows traffic accurately and helped me get around a huge nightmare I got stuck in.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Those of you taking the 13 down the Delmarva penninsula, have you tried the 113? Everyone I know from our neck of the woods takes the 113 and will never go back to the 13. Less traffic lights and hums along better. Few take the interstates anymore unless they drive really fast at night. For the 113, just make sure you stay on the highway in Dover and don't follow the directions to turn off to the 13 for Cape Charles.

From Ottawa we usually drive down on a Friday, and the key is to leave at 6am and don't mess around, and you can clear Philly by 1:30 pm or so, and there's not much rush hour once past there. We roll in to Hatteras around 8:30 with minimal stops. I've done it solo but you have to be the right kind of person to be able to do that kind of drive. I would definitely not drive overnight, the risk and consequences of falling asleep are too high.

We drive the route home on a Saturday usually and traffic is also OK on a Saturday, at least northbound.

There are lots of hotels right in Norfolk just after you get off the Chesapeake bridge. We once tried to find a hotel in the dark just south of Norfolk and it was pretty hard to spot anything.

Peter

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:54 am

If I am solo from SW Ontario. I like to leave at 4am saterday morning and drive straight. Get there around 6-7 most of the time but you can ask a Pete how fast I drive all the time...

No if the wife and kids are with me I leave at 4-5 am and drive to 5 of Friday. find a place to crash and then get up in the morning as finish off the track... ( sometimes this is hard when you have 300lbs of dogs with it)

I have done SW Ontario to Key West a few time when I was younger straight and that is a long haul... would I do it again HELL NO. life is too important to kill yourself behind the wheel.

The best I can say if you drive till you feel like you can't go no more you should of stopped 2 hrs before.

Just my 2 Cents
TerrieB
www.jellyfishboards.com

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 am

foam-n-fibre wrote:Those of you taking the 13 down the Delmarva penninsula, have you tried the 113? Everyone I know from our neck of the woods takes the 113 and will never go back to the 13. Less traffic lights and hums along better. Few take the interstates anymore unless they drive really fast at night. For the 113, just make sure you stay on the highway in Dover and don't follow the directions to turn off to the 13 for Cape Charles.

From Ottawa we usually drive down on a Friday, and the key is to leave at 6am and don't mess around, and you can clear Philly by 1:30 pm or so, and there's not much rush hour once past there. We roll in to Hatteras around 8:30 with minimal stops. I've done it solo but you have to be the right kind of person to be able to do that kind of drive. I would definitely not drive overnight, the risk and consequences of falling asleep are too high.

We drive the route home on a Saturday usually and traffic is also OK on a Saturday, at least northbound.

There are lots of hotels right in Norfolk just after you get off the Chesapeake bridge. We once tried to find a hotel in the dark just south of Norfolk and it was pretty hard to spot anything.

Peter

I've driven both the 13 and 113 route, the difference being more by luck than judgement ....it saves no distance but its better on time , I guess fewer lights ....certainly a good tip, Thanks.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 am

Cheers again all! All posts are helpful. I'm driving down on a Friday, so if I leave early enough I should be south of Philadelphia before rush hour. Plan to stay just north of the VA border and then early next morning head out for the final leg. All this makes me wish I was going this weekend!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Ive driven between NY and Virginia a few dozen times and 113 is definitely the way to go. I-95 through baltimore and DC is a disaster. On the way south through the eastern shore it is 1 to 113 to 13.

Plus they recently eliminated most of the single lane portion of 113

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Over the summer I drove up and back from south florida by myself, it was about 14.5 hours there and 16 on the way back. It was horrible, but I just burned through audio books and it kept me entertained. Didn't really feel sleepy, just got really sick of driving after a while haha.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:47 am

dyyylan wrote: Didn't really feel sleepy, just got really sick of driving after a while haha.
I've never driven to Hatteras or Florida by myself. As above, I can see not so much being sleepy if I left around say 7am for Hatteras. It's more just being bored of being in the car and sitting for so long. Guess the trick is audio books and/or committing to listening to say a classic box set from a good band.

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41

Postby finnkc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Last May drove down with two other guys and we split the driving. Two up front one in the back sleeping on the bench (pickup truck). We stopped for fuel and that was about it. Left early 1am and made it in time for a sunset session before checking into our hotel. Drive there was fine, we were fresh and excited to get on the water. Drive back was more difficult, we rode that morning and did a down winder to Real from Avon, so we were tired to start the drive back. I ended up driving in on Monday morning and went straight to work. ugg.

I wouldn't push it solo, like others have said, not worth it.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:02 pm

10 hrs for me.I leave around 11 pm and drive straight through.You're a little longer,maybe catch a few hours nap in your car to "freshen up". Night time is nice, no traffic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”