Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Slayer 60, short review and video

Forum for kitesurfers
haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Airush Slayer 60, short review and video

Postby haiku » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:22 am

Hi. As you know the Slayer is a new shape concept coming from Airush. This board is mainly aimed to the strapless riding but in this regard due to its weight and generous size I’ve found difficult to throw aerial tricks especially grabbing and flipping the board. Instead of Chinese construction I would have preferred a Cobra one. Nevertheless the little brother, the 54, should be a better choice for that kind of style! So I put on it the straps and I discovered one of the best light wind directional freestyle board out there….probably the best one. Notice that I also own the North Nugget but the light wind capabilities of the Slayer are, simply, by far better. Obviously strapless the Nugget wins. Said that, I rode the Slayer in very marginal conditions with the Naish Fly, the Ozone Edge 13 and the RRD Obsession 13,5…..what a pleasure! I turned race sessions in freestyle sessions with a lot of different low mid air tricks. The Slayer can point upwind effortlessly but It is not as fast as a pure freerace board. Jibes and tacks are easy and very smooth. In those days I had a lot of fun and I learned a couple of new moves :D . Here’s a video showing the Slayer 60 in action.
Cheers
Carlo

https://vimeo.com/84030775#at=2

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Airush Slayer 60, short review and video

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 am

Nice :)

How do those kind of things feel on the knees/ankles, throwing them around in the air?

haiku
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:07 am

Hi. Dear Kamikuza I've never had a problems with those tricks. The most important thing (I'm not very young) is to keep the body in good shape which is, after all, very important in every sports. That being said, doing these low/mid air moves with a heavy/large board needs kites that in their DNA have a very good lift and a great hang time especially in marginal conditions; in this regard jumping with no efforts and soft landing are the most important things. Needless to say It is safer and easyer to learn new moves with big kites and steady light breezes :thumb: .
Cheers
Carlo

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am

Its a wide board. Do you find the leverage needed to edge it tiring?

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby g0nz0 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Ive got the 60 on demo in the shop, which we have mostly prefered to ride strapless. The board doesnt really need to be edged hard with the three standard fins in it, they offer enough grip so you can ride it a bit flatter, which is better in light wind anyway.

I bought a 54 for myself and at my weight 75kg definitely prefer the slightly smaller size, it's easier to carve, its a bit lighter to pop and carry about (still quite heavy and very beefed up compared to a surfboard) and it fits in my car easier. I ride it mostly strapless in flat to small windblown waves and it's a keeper for sure.

The interesting thing with the current slayer is that you have 5 mini tuttle boxes in it, so its actually extremely versatile. You can set it up with a couple of sector fins and turn it into a really compact freerace board that rips upwind (put straps on!) or you can loosen it right up with smaller fins and slash about in small waves. My next thing will be to try setting it up as a quad or a twin fin.

Dan

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Puetz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm

haiku wrote:Hi. As you know the Slayer is a new shape concept coming from Airush. This board is mainly aimed to the strapless riding but in this regard due to its weight and generous size I’ve found difficult to throw aerial tricks especially grabbing and flipping the board. Instead of Chinese construction I would have preferred a Cobra one. Nevertheless the little brother, the 54, should be a better choice for that kind of style! So I put on it the straps and I discovered one of the best light wind directional freestyle board out there….probably the best one. Notice that I also own the North Nugget but the light wind capabilities of the Slayer are, simply, by far better. Obviously strapless the Nugget wins. Said that, I rode the Slayer in very marginal conditions with the Naish Fly, the Ozone Edge 13 and the RRD Obsession 13,5…..what a pleasure! I turned race sessions in freestyle sessions with a lot of different low mid air tricks. The Slayer can point upwind effortlessly but It is not as fast as a pure freerace board. Jibes and tacks are easy and very smooth. In those days I had a lot of fun and I learned a couple of new moves :D . Here’s a video showing the Slayer 60 in action.
Cheers
Carlo

https://vimeo.com/84030775#at=2
... nice vid dude, " like " as my kids would say!!!! :thumb:

haiku
Frequent Poster

Postby haiku » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi. Thanks Puetz. Ronnie no need to leverage the Slayer and not only: It can easily eat chop, so ride with it is a real pleasure. g0nz0 i would prefer the 54 because strapless is better for aerial tricks but when the wind is enough for It I can use a wide and more compact surfboard. Moreover my home spot is not much windy so the 60 It's a better choice :thumb: .
Cheers
Carlo

Return to “Kitesurfing”