Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Brazil - Cumbuco/Rio in June/July??

Postby sijandy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 am

My non-kiting mates are doing a 2 week trip to Rio this summer for the world cup and i'm thinking of tagging along and doing some kiting while i'm there. My initial thoughts were to do a week in Rio and then leave them there and fly up to Fortaleza on my own for a few weeks n head to those lagoons at Cumbuco. Assuming flying's the best option, who's the best company for getting about internally in terms of price and taking kite gear and what sort of price should i expect for rio to fortaleza? I'm guessing prices are gonna be jacked up because of the football but i've heared as long as your not following the games/fans directly prices should'nt be too bad? Also, what's the kiting like in Rio - plenty of spots i'm assuming? It's all just ideas at the moment but any tips/advice/info any of you might have will be appreciated. cheers.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Brazil - Cumbuco/Rio in June/July??

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:22 am

Expect everything to be very expensive at that time...flights, rooms etc.
June should be fine windwise, July even better.

Yes, you need to fly, it is several thousand km away!

Tam and Gol will be fine.

Check on www.splocs.com for spots around Rio...they also have a huge lagoon close by.
Not sure about the wind at that time, but read thru splocs for more info.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:40 am

Toby wrote:Expect everything to be very expensive at that time...flights, rooms etc.
June should be fine windwise, July even better.

Yes, you need to fly, it is several thousand km away!

Tam and Gol will be fine.

Check on www.splocs.com for spots around Rio...they also have a huge lagoon close by.
Not sure about the wind at that time, but read thru splocs for more info.
will do, cheers Toby.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:30 am

sijandy wrote:My non-kiting mates are doing a 2 week trip to Rio this summer for the world cup and i'm thinking of tagging along and doing some kiting while i'm there. My initial thoughts were to do a week in Rio and then leave them there and fly up to Fortaleza on my own for a few weeks n head to those lagoons at Cumbuco. Assuming flying's the best option, who's the best company for getting about internally in terms of price and taking kite gear and what sort of price should i expect for rio to fortaleza? I'm guessing prices are gonna be jacked up because of the football but i've heared as long as your not following the games/fans directly prices should'nt be too bad? Also, what's the kiting like in Rio - plenty of spots i'm assuming? It's all just ideas at the moment but any tips/advice/info any of you might have will be appreciated. cheers.
Hi,

Azul is most likely the cheapest.
http://www.voeazul.com.br/

Hope to see you in Cumbuco. Wind should be fine.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Pinball
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela, SP
Favorite Beaches: Prea, Jeri, Cumbuco, Barra do Cunhau
Gear: Switchblade

Postby Pinball » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 am

In Rio city, the kite spot is in Barra da Tijuca beach, open ocean and the wind is not always there, its great for the people who live in that city and specially around that spot, because if its windy they bring their kites, if its not windy, they just hang out at the beach which is full of pretty ladies. But the problem is that this beach is a little far away from the classic places tourists usually go or stay, like Ipanema, Leblon and Copacabana beaches or Santa Theresa hills neighbourhood. Barra da Tijuca has no tourist attractions near by and you could only convince your friends to go there if they really just want to stay at a beach the whole day. The beach there is nice and not as crowded as the famous ones I mentioned. You would have to reserve an entire day to kitesurf there, so check the forecast before you go. Other famous spot in the State of Rio is Lagoa Araruama área(lagoons), far from the city and you would have to sleep there.
But even if you don't kite, the city will be really crowded of people from all over the world, it should be fun.

Azul airline will probably be the cheapest one, there was just a press release where they say they will increase their number of flights 30% and the maximum fare between cities having games will be 999 reais(or something closer to 450 USD) during the world cup. But check www.voegol.com.br and www.tam.com.br as well, sometimes they have" last minute deals".Flight to Fortaleza might be this price, but pousadas(hotel or Bed&Breakfast) will be still cheap, I really doubt the kitesurfing spots will be "contaminated" by the world cup prices "dementia". Wind and weather will be perfect basically everywhere in Fortaleza área(thousands of kilometers around).

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for the info guys, all very helpful. My mates are flying out to Rio mid june to catch the start of the World Cup so i'm thinking of heading out 2 weeks earlier to Fortaleza to try to avoid/minimise the WC carnage, have 2 weeks kiting Cumbuco and then head down to meet up with them in Rio and then fly back to the UK with them from there. Is there trains/buses that travel from Fortaleza to Rio and if so what's the travel time like?? If it exists and is considerably cheaper than flying then thats another consideration. Also, is there much in the way of diving/dive centres in either location? I'm thinking about doing a PADI course while i'm out there (preferably in Rio as I hope to be kiting everyday up in Fortaleza). Any other tips/advice on either location or getting around is welcome and appreciated. cheers.

Pinball
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela, SP
Favorite Beaches: Prea, Jeri, Cumbuco, Barra do Cunhau
Gear: Switchblade

Postby Pinball » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 am

There are no trains and don't even think about taking a bus from Fortaleza to Rio, buses in Brazil can be confortable but its a 2600km distance and lots of stops, at least 48 hours trip. And you would spend paying the fare and the food then you would lose two days traveling plus two days sleeping in Rio to recover. I can fly from São Paulo to Fortaleza in 3:30 hrs, from Rio I'm not sure if there are non stop flights, but it wouldn't take more than 5 hours, if stops somewhere in the middle. There will be 1500 new flights during the WC, so I think you could find a seat, and you could save a lot reserving a place in advance in Cumbuco and Rio, thats a way to save.

Rio is a big city and its very easy to find PADI courses there, many people learn to work in the offshore oil industry, but usually they are given in Portuguese for Brazilians, you could e-mail some of them, search for "curso de mergulho rj", honestly I guess you could find cheaper places to learn in other countries. Rio is a place to party, its a place you are supposed to forget everything you learnt during your entire life :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:20 pm

I also suggest to fly...people underestimate the size of Brazil...it is HUGE !

Fortaleza to Rio is also about 3 hrs. Don't know about direct flights, just heard this yesterday that it takes that long.

Book early, flights are expensive!

And good idea to go to Fortaleza before...then you will be more relaxed in Rio ;-)

Get in touch with local kiters in Rio to take you to the locations. People there are very nice and always helpful.

Return to “Kitesurfing”