Style: Powerkite on snow and land
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 9m, Ozone powerkite 4.5m & Begopowerkite 6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowkiting using Flysurfer Peak 6m and 9m

Postby vincjom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am

https://vimeo.com/82879009

First ride with a friend with our brand new Flysurfer Peak (pink=6m and blue=9m) in Switzerland (not in the Alps, but in low altitude Mountains called Jura, at 1000 meter high).

Difficult wind conditions (irregular and gusty from 4 to 10 knts). For these conditions, you absolutely need the 9m; the 6m can do the job too, but with less power. Sure, in such conditions, you must work the kites a lot, searching for power and pulling on the rear line for quicker turns, but snowkiting with "classical" double skin kites would have been quite impossible (except maybe with big and expensive Flysurfer Speed or other huge kites).

Personnaly, before the Peak, I was exclusively using 3 powerkites (2.5m, 4.5m & 6m) with handles (no handlebar and almost no depower):
https://vimeo.com/59722240

First reason is because I have them since a few years and they are still working well (I only do freeride, no jumping or flying); second reason is because I ride at quite low altitude and winds are slower than in the Alps => Powerkites have lot much power for a smaller package than depowerable kites. And time needed to launch is really short (less than 5 minutes from the car to the ride).

In conclusion, I could say that the Peak is the "MISSING LINK" between my difficult-and-sometimes-dangerous-to-handle powerkites and the huge, heavy and expensive depowerable kites, combining the good points of each: small, light and powerful like a powerkite; safe (great depower), easy to ride and wide wind-window like depowerable kites.

For me, Flysurfer's advertisment is not lying: they developped THE kites for freeriding safely for beginners, but also for fun freeriding (and jumping? See LoloBSD) for experts, especially with really slow winds. And this for a reasonable price, regarding the R&D done.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Re: Snowkiting using Flysurfer Peak 6m and 9m

Postby Mikites » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am

Absolutely love mine! It feels way more like a lei than a foil really has the advantages of both. Quick and simple setup and take down, lots of power for the size and super durable like a foil, direct feel and even more depower than a lei. Everyone I have had try mine has had nothing but praises for the kite.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 am

How do they jump?

Mikites
Medium Poster

Postby Mikites » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 am

Boosting is not bad. It's not any thing special for height though. I have to say though this is the smoothest boosting kite I have ever flown. What makes it special is that your going to come down soft no matter what. If you send it way to far and don't redirect, your still gong to come down soft and have a flying kite. I actually tried to swing under her to see if she would Hindenburg, but no matter what I did I was let down soft with the kite ready for input. Very nice!

On the con side, boosting is a bit laborious compared to other kites. You need to really load her up and send her hard to get lift, but the softness in flight makes you confidant you will stick it no matter how hard you send it.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:11 am

How does the flutter @ wingtips feel like?
Even Boulgy said, tere is no flutter, but you can see it in every Peak video when jumping!

Mikites
Medium Poster

Postby Mikites » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:57 pm

You can some times feel a slight pulse in the bar, but mostly it just feels like a normal kite. It still gives real smooth power and steers exactly the same. If you dont look at the kite you would never know when its fluttering. It really only flutters when you sheet out almost all the way. Its worse in free ride mode, but touring mode works way better for every thing any way. Freeride is only for riding unhooked imho.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:30 am

The Flysurfer Peak is a great new way to learn powerkiting or be mobile with kites. (on land)
You got your feedback, depower for control, great low end, lack of any hard pull, boost or lift if you stay in the right wind range off course.
So its a great new innovation, a new plug & play kite for a wide range of use.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 pm

:lol: I want one. 9M please! JR

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 am

When I first saw the Peak, I dismissed it because the largest size is a 9m. I usually fly 15 and 21M FS Speeds on the snow. However, I had the opportunity to test one out and I can say the Peak is the real deal. The Peak shines in three applications IMHO:
1. Backcountry touring. The Peak packs down so small that you can throw it in your pack, skin up past the treeline and use the kite to loop up hill. The launch and landing are a breeze and I found that the Peak justs sits there when depowered even in high winds.
2. Teaching - it is so easy and forgiving that it works great with newbies.
3. In light wind - it flies in just a breathe of wind and turns fast, so you can get going in very little wind, especially if you are on skis.

I thought the 9m would be all that I need, but I found while touring that ridgetop winds are stronger than my usual snowkite spots, so I have a 6m on order as well. I have a pretty good sized pack and I figure that I can carry both the 6 & 9 while touring - all bases covered!

My wish - a 12m Peak.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:21 am