Rare Poster
Local Beach: Redcar
Gear: North rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hi I'm new, and Naxos in September

Postby Stencilface » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi there, this is my first trip onto kite forum, so please be gentle! :)

I'd just like any opinions/ideas for a holiday to Mikri Vigla in September, it has been recommended by a Greek friend (a non kite surfer). We will be travelling as two couples, with one person who is a non kitesurfer. We will also be travelling with a 1year old and a four month old, who have different needs other than just windy, not much fun being sandblasted as a baby!

What I can't quite figure out from a google is whether any hotels/apartments are directly connected with either kite school? I'd also like somewhere to stay where there is a pool that has some shelter from the wind. Being within reasonable walking distance to the limanaki beach would also be a winner.

I'm an experienced novice kitesurfer, I used to be reasonable when I learnt in western oz in 2007, since being back in the UK I'm less inclined to go, did go to El Gouna in 2012 and didn't die though! My OH is quite a bit better, jumping, looping etc and the other is a complete newbie having had a lesson or two at cleethorpes, he's at the drinking more water than his wetsuit will hold stage :)

Pin Head
Medium Poster

Re: Hi I'm new, and Naxos in September

Postby Pin Head » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:10 pm

It's very good there. I go every year early sept. the island tourism slows down and places close but there is still lots of accomodation. I stay in Naxos where there is about of life and take a quad bike to the beach.

Recommend it every time.

Stencilface
Rare Poster

Postby Stencilface » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks, :thumb: we'll be getting a hire car, a family bus though, nothing nifty like a quad! Don't suppose you can recommend either of the kite centres, are either of them attached to a hotel?

Pin Head
Medium Poster

Postby Pin Head » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:50 am

The one not attached to the hotel. Better more personal service. Run by a French bloke and his attractive wife. Simple facilities but more friendlier and a better location on the beach.

LucaKiteNaxos
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mikri Vigla Naxos
Favorite Beaches: Mikonos, Cabarete,
Gear: Best 9 mt or rrd 10mt board rrd

Postby LucaKiteNaxos » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 am

Hi, Naxos in september is super because the mass of tourist has gone and the weather is still fantastic .My own opinion is that the Flisvo Kitecentre located by the hotel is the most professional and with the best equipment in the Island, They have a good service and last but not list a good italian restaurant.
They have a large number of instructor and they speck many languages.
In case you need any information about naxos, just ask me.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am

During sembteber you can find cheap accommodation, weather normally is super, I am a local here... So hope to see you in water ;-)
Since you are an experienced kiter there are more spots to discover with the right wind...Drop a pm when you are here...

Have a look at the spot here, statistics etc... http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/mikrivigla/

LucaKiteNaxos
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mikri Vigla Naxos
Favorite Beaches: Mikonos, Cabarete,
Gear: Best 9 mt or rrd 10mt board rrd

Postby LucaKiteNaxos » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 pm

If you need any further info you can contact directly Michele at the flisvos kite centre
Those people are my friend and they will be more than happy to support you.
You can have a look at their site www.flisvos-kitecentre.com

chris1974
Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: Flexifoil ION3 8.5+10.5
Flexifoil Delta Board

Postby chris1974 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi there,

Naxos is a nice choice but wind is a bet in September…usually Meltemi wind (North winds) start to blow in end June/ beg July and last until end August/beg September… Naxos and the rest of Cyclades spots work only with North winds.

For more consistent and reliable wind in September I would choose Ionian Sea and the kite spots over there…

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:40 pm

For sembteber if wind is not North, but South it's nice. Good waves here;-) Anyway 80 % is North... About sembteber it's true sometimes it's not a good wind month, like last year... We had 3 months almost non stop wind 18-30 knots from June till end of August and September wasn't good. But that is not the usual case...

Stencilface
Rare Poster

Postby Stencilface » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks for the great replies! I've also been looking at Lemnos, and my friends have looked at Ialyssos. Me and the oh shouldn't need kit (unless I go out without my reel leash and lose the board!) but I always appreciate a rescue boast or jetski just in case.

With the kids too I want somewhere easy to kite with no hassle and also somewhere to go it's not windy and some restaurants or bars for the evening, doesn't have to be busy, I like a chilled life!

Return to “Travel”