Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Wahine kite. Made for "Girls"

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

The Wahine kite. Made for "Girls"

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Hello guys,
We at EPIC kites have been working on a "Girl's" kite for a while now, and I was wondering if they are any girls on this KITEFORUM that would like to share their opinion and ideas on a girl's kite. Just so you get an idea, this kite will be called the "WAHINE" and it will be part of the Renegade model but with few changes to accommodate the laddies depending of the changes they want on the Renegade model such as graphics, turning speed, bar pressure, faster relaunching, and so on.....
By the way, Husbands or boyfriends inputs are welcome.
Thank you for your time.

P.S. Just so you know I did post the same thread on the "EPICKITES 4G" topic and on the "EpicKites Kiteboarding" FACEBOOK page and we are getting a lot of feedback especially on the FACEBOOK page. Just in case you wanted to see what types of inputs we are getting from people.
:thumb:

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: The WAHINE kite. Made for "Girls"

Postby windfreak74 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:13 pm

my daugther asked for a pink kite with floral design!! :thumb:
make it a 4 like the junior pro.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Re: The WAHINE kite. Made for "Girls"

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:38 pm

my daugther asked for a pink kite with floral design!! :thumb:
make it a 4 like the junior pro.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: … I love pink also. The main question right on the "Epickites kiteboarding" FACEBOOK page is the sizing. I was thinking (5.5 / 8.5 / 10.5) meters. The less amount of kites a lady has to carry with her the better. But again these sizes will be great for girls that weight less then (140 lbs). So they can at least kite in (11 to 18 mph) on the 10.5 meter and go all the way up to (35++ mph) on the 5.5 meter kite. If they weight more then (140 lbs), they can always use a bigger board in order to be able to plane better in light wind. Same thing with the guys, we can ride a 12 meter kite in (12 to 15 knots) using a wider board such as the OXYGEN 135x47cm Twin Tip board.
Any way just waned to let you know some of the discussions people have been talking about.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Wahine kite. Made for "Girls"

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:39 am

Whaoooo.... since I posted this topic on the FACEBOOK page, I have had so many inputs from tons of people most of them women of course.
Laddies, the way we are going I might have a WAHINE prototype kite ready by next week since I will be in China this Saturday.
:thumb:

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Krazedkiter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 am

This is first hand, so to speak, experience.

Its not the kite.....its the bar. Everything on a bar is too long or too far away for most girls I know that kite. But, you may have to design the kite to fit the bar.

The only thing different about a Cabrinha Siren vs a regular switchblade is that it has girly colors, it has a smaller chicken loop, and it has extensions on the depower/power ropes. That's it.

So if you want to take it further, don't rush it. Most girls cant reach as far as guys. Don't paint it pink and purple and call it a girls only kite. Design a kite that can retain its performance and require a much shorter throw for depower, turn just as fast with a shorter bar, and have the depower ropes closer to the bar. Watch a girl take a lesson. The biggest thing I see is them always losing the bar and reaching for the sky trying to get it back.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Adjust the characteristics of the different sizes a bit, so that the smaller sizes are more suitable for lower winds. (In other words, make a 9m and smaller less bomb proof than you normally would, so they'll fly sooner)

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Thank you guys, these are great inputs.
Just so you know these are some more inputs I am getting from the FACEBOOK page concerning what the laddies want on a women's kite.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 10.26.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 10.22.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 10.23.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 7.39.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 7.41.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 7.45.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 7.45.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 7.39.04 AM.png

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:41 pm

So as you can see from the previous post. I am getting tons of information about the idea of the new WAHINE kite we are working on.
For sure making a specific women's BAR will make a big difference on the hands of the laddies. But again its so hard to please every body with all these info I am getting. Also as you can see some people want to use the WAHINE kite for the waves which will be great like the Renegade model, but if they want a pure wave kite and ride strapless then the SURF is the kite they should get. So maybe they can use the SURF kite but with the new WAHINE BAR since the bar is very important to them.
Now my next question will be how long the lines of the bar should be: 24m, 22m, 20m, or 18m. Remember the lower you go the less power you will get but the kite will be faster and more stable.

Now concerning the "Velcro extension lines" for the Power/Depower strap that some one is mentioning on the above post. We sell these as an accessory part. So if you need these extension straps, then please get in touch with us or any of our dealers world wide.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:31 am

Good morning ladies.
I know you've been waiting to see what we have been working on for the WAHINE kite since I introduced it 2 weeks ago. Well after all the inputs we gathered from all your requests, we came up with these 4 choice of colors for the new WAHINE kite. Don't look at the shape of the kite because we are still working on it and for sure it will have only 3 struts compare to what the picture shows. But for now I would like to concentrate on the graphics and colors of the kite while we are working on the shape of the kite.
So if it's not asking too much, can you please let me know which color combination you like best. We are thinking of using only two choices of colors. So if you can mention which two you like most by giving me the number that is next to them that will be great. You can always email me directly at: dimitri@epickites.com.
We are working on the bar as we speak and the graphics and will let you know when we are ready. But so you know the sizes for the WAHINE kite will be 5.5 / 8.5 / 10.5

P.S. And as I mention before, we do sell separately on our Online Store the POWER/DEPOWER EXTENSION STRAPS for people with shorter arms that uses the normal 4G XTEND BAR.
Attachments
Wahine colors.jpg
IMG_4470 5.jpg
IMG_4472 2.jpg
Last edited by Dimitri M on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_padge
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox
Vella Island - Sri Lanka
Style: freeride
Gear: 7m Core Nexus
9m Core XR6

Axis freeride foil - 600 wing
Brand Affiliation: I tried a core kite and now can't go back....
Been thanked: 0

Postby super_padge » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:54 pm

number 3!
agree with the above - its the bar for me that makes a big difference - short depower throw and easy to adjust depower would be my key recommendations.

look forward to seeing the final version :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”