All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ozone Uno for young, light weight rider?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

I am narrowing down the LEI kite options for a young rider who is roughly 60lbs and just over 4ft tall. Thinking about the Ozone Uno in either a 2.5m or 4m, using 20m lines on the 2014 stock bar and hope that anyone with experience on this kite can assist. This kite most likely will be the young riders full time kite (for the next year or two) as he very light so need something which will comfortably fly, and be stable in 14-20kts. How does this kite handle light winds (12-14kts)? I know smaller kites will be more prone to stalling and the occasional hindenburg (falling out of sky) in lulls, but hoping that the Ozone Uno is as stable as their foils (ignition). How easily does the kite water relaunch in light winds? Which size 2.5 or 4m in the 14 to 20kts wind range? One issue I slightly foresee is that the trim strap might not be reachable for him when riding. This shouldnt be too much of an issue as the bar should have a huge wind range. I like that the quick release as it is very easy to activate and reset even for a young rider. Thank you in advance for your help with the Ozone Uno.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Ozone Uno for young, light weight rider?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have a 2.5 I use with a Nash bar. Stable flying and water relaunch is good. I ride it with a surfboard when the wind hits 40 mph steady and am powered at 160 lbs. Sounds like a 2.5 will work for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:55 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi Bob,
Thank you for your help. You mention you use the kite in 40mph winds. Have you ever tested it in much lighter winds such as 14-20kts. Any thought on the stability and water relaunching at the 14-16kt range? The goal is to have a very light rider (only 60lbs) flying this kite from when wind are lighter ie 14-20kts. I personally have a 4m kite which i use in 40kts +, but this kite is not stable in light winds as it has many struts and is not good for water relaunching in light winds. What length lines do you run when on the Ozone UNO? Thanks in advance for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

It should water relaunch and fly fine in those lighter winds too. I run 23m lines on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm thinking about a Flysurfer viron for my son who is about the same size - specifically designed as a school kite and not very lifty but stable in light winds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:28 am 
Rare Poster

Not sure if you've commited to a purchase yet, seeing as how the post is a few months old, but just wanted to pipe in with my own experience... From what I've seen, smaller kites perform much better in low winds than big kites. They stay in the air much easier, granted they also generate far less pull.

I am also considering this kite for my 8yr old son. I've had him try my 4.5m Naish (Cult i think - the sigma shaped kite), and it's way WAY too much kite for him. I held on to the handle on the back of his harness while he kept getting tossed in the air like a feather in the wind. Hoping the 2.5 will be just right. If you have purchased the Uno, I would love to know what you're experience with it & the young one is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:32 am 
Frequent Poster

both uno are fantastic kites for kids. I taught my 7 year old grandson and he got the hang of it very quickly, i.e. 2 hr!!

[ 7 posts ]