Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

US terms - costs for bags, can someone explain?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

US terms - costs for bags, can someone explain?

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi guys,

Reading on American Airlines website about charges for sports bags.
Came across this:

$150 regardless of the number of checked bags.

what does this actually mean?

A: you can check several bags for your sports bags
B: if you only have one bag free, and would use that for sports gear, you still would be charged $150 ?

Just to make sure...I assume B, since they want to rob us ;-)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: US terms - costs for bags, can someone explain?

Postby edt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 pm

toby if u read the rest of american airlines baggage domestically it's always $25 for first bag $35 for second bag and $150 for the third bag.

They are just making clear if you bring a kiteboard it is $150 even if it is only one bag.

"Exception: Kiteboard/wakeboard/wave skis that are less than 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs. are only subject to the applicable checked baggage charge, based on the number of checked bags."

For instance if you fly domestically and your first bag is $25 and your second bag is $35 if you bring 1 regular luggage and 1 big surfboard it will be $25 for the first and $150 for the second.
Last edited by edt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Exception: Kiteboard/wakeboard/wave skis that are less than 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs. are only subject to the applicable checked baggage charge, based on the number of checked bags.

so if you have one bag plus your gear bag you should only be charged the cost of a 2nd bag...

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Oldpeople » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Problem is 62 inches is length plus width plus depth of bag. So impossible to get a board in. They still say golf bags are charged as a regular bag, no additional charge. But the same size kite bag gets a $150 charge. Does anyone have any information on whether people are still getting away with "golf" bags with kite gear?
I am starting to think a split board makes sense for traveling.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 pm

These fit in a duffel. I'm hoping that this concept works for lots of far away travel with less hassle and expense. One board, two kites, a harness and my clothes will fit in a 62 linear inch duffel if I'm going somewhere warm.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:53 am

Oldpeople wrote:Problem is 62 inches is length plus width plus depth of bag. So impossible to get a board in. They still say golf bags are charged as a regular bag, no additional charge. But the same size kite bag gets a $150 charge. Does anyone have any information on whether people are still getting away with "golf" bags with kite gear?
I am starting to think a split board makes sense for traveling.
sorry yes it is "dimensional inches" you add width+height+thickness. So a skateboard would work but no way would a twintip work, 130 + 42 + 3 = 175 dimensional inches for a typical twintip even with a skin tight nylon bag.

So it's $150 unless you stick it in a golf bag or use a split board.

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA
Been thanked: 0

Postby robg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Try flying with surfboards. Most airlines want to charge per board! It can be random but I have had them unzip the bag and count the boards.

Delta is the worst. I once paid $400 one way for a single board bag with 3 boards in it! They made their money that day but I have avoided them on over a dozen flights since then. It often works out better to rent or buy boards at your destination if they have a good selection.

I find Southwest and Jet Blue to be the most reasonable.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:34 pm

I flew AA international and they treated the NSI deceiver golf bag as normal luggage and first bag free. so i didn't pay anything on the way there or back. I kept it under 50 pounds. One word of advice, the bag always gains a pound or so on the way back with sand and water on gear so be sure to leave a little margin.

MikeZ
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby MikeZ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm

edt wrote:sorry yes it is "dimensional inches" you add width+height+thickness. So a skateboard would work but no way would a twintip work, 130 + 42 + 3 = 175 dimensional inches for a typical twintip even with a skin tight nylon bag.

That would be a monstrous twin tip, if those measurements were in inches.

Those are cm, divide by 2.54 to get inches. About 69 inches. My twin tip bag is a bit more than that (about 71 inches total). Last time I flew, I didn't get charged extra - just the normal baggage rate.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 pm

MikeZ wrote:
edt wrote:sorry yes it is "dimensional inches" you add width+height+thickness. So a skateboard would work but no way would a twintip work, 130 + 42 + 3 = 175 dimensional inches for a typical twintip even with a skin tight nylon bag.

That would be a monstrous twin tip, if those measurements were in inches.

Those are cm, divide by 2.54 to get inches. About 69 inches. My twin tip bag is a bit more than that (about 71 inches total). Last time I flew, I didn't get charged extra - just the normal baggage rate.
sorry yes I confused my inches and cm there

Return to “Kitesurfing”