Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Removing the swivel from a 2013 ATB Naish bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Removing the swivel from a 2013 ATB Naish bar

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Anyone have some tips how to get this off without cutting the webbing? Seems they have ground off the screw head....?
Attachments
image.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Removing the swivel from a 2013 ATB Naish bar

Postby edt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Laughingman wrote:Anyone have some tips how to get this off without cutting the webbing? Seems they have ground off the screw head....?
the webbing is sewn. Cut the stitches (don't cut the webbing just the stitches), remove the swivel and then sew it back again.

If you can't sew, take it to a sewing shop, remember to tell them to use polyester thread u should be able to get them to do this for you for about $10 or $20 it will take about 10 minutes. The alternative is to remove the bolt on the swivel by drilling it out and then replacing with a stainless steel bolt, but I'd rather just sew it. I think they used a rivet on the bolt I don't see any way to take it out without drilling.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 am

edt wrote:
Laughingman wrote:Anyone have some tips how to get this off without cutting the webbing? Seems they have ground off the screw head....?
the webbing is sewn. Cut the stitches (don't cut the webbing just the stitches), remove the swivel and then sew it back again.

If you can't sew, take it to a sewing shop, remember to tell them to use polyester thread u should be able to get them to do this for you for about $10 or $20 it will take about 10 minutes. The alternative is to remove the bolt on the swivel by drilling it out and then replacing with a stainless steel bolt, but I'd rather just sew it. I think they used a rivet on the bolt I don't see any way to take it out without drilling.
Thanks Edt.
I ended up drilling it. Seems to be a screw in a sleeve. The name is escaping me ATM. Anyhow it worked. Thanks for your help.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Why did you decide to remove it?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:29 pm

If Naish has not changed the swivel significantly since 2012 it just gets stuck immediately. I replaced them on my Universal Bars with Wainman swivels. Those work.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:20 pm

dyyylan wrote:Why did you decide to remove it?
Hi dyyylan, it's heavy and it doesn't work no matter how much effort put into cleaning it. I replaced the chickenloop with the new epic chickenloop which has a below the bar swivel and shortened the pull/pull handles so the stopper ball would work. I'll post a pic once it's complete. Just need to figure out how I want to attach the lines now.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:39 pm

So here's where I'm at. Considering sewing the white webbing to the red looped pigtail and calling it a day... Thoughts? I know a bent rope can wear but my expectation is the webbing will flex and end up curving under load.... Therefore reducing the bend at the edges of the webbing....
Attachments
image.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:15 pm

the only thing I don't like about this setup is that the line is not straight on with the red stopper ball it is at an angle so wear can happen both on the line where it rubs against the o-ring and the red ball at this point. Your webbing should be fine but if you are worried you can always replace that section with a d-ring

and then tie your o-rings to the d-ring.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks edt, I think you mentioned about the ball not sitting straight before but I am trying to member what your solution for this was? Did you make your own stopper that would seat better in the ring?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Laughingman wrote:Thanks edt, I think you mentioned about the ball not sitting straight before but I am trying to member what your solution for this was? Did you make your own stopper that would seat better in the ring?
i bought a big block of 1x1 nylon cut off an inch of it and drill a few holes like so

It's pretty simple doesn't need the red ball, o-ring, just a block of nylon and you are set. I also drill out the holes on the bottom so my flag out elastic line (which is as thick as a chicken line) wears a lot longer.

but like I said I haven't gotten around to converting my naish bar yet I still have that awful swivel. Got so many other projects I am working on, the above block is the one I use on my slingshot bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”