2010 crazy fly 127*38
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: best purchase for 2013?

Postby Awn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm

eldadgold wrote:
Awn wrote:
eldadgold wrote:The 2013 Fone Bandit is a dream.
Best ride, Worst Durability
Really? I never had any issues with my Bandit. Same goes for all my crew.
Is it possible that Fone had a bad batch?
What durability issues did you in encounter ? Is it only with your kite ?

Well all the people I know have issues with Bandit Durability they range from Bars breaking in half, to Kites that are no longer reparable after one summer. Love the ride, but the durability is terrible. Will never buy Fone kites.
Last edited by Awn on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Awn wrote:
eldadgold wrote:Really? I never had any issues with my Bandit. Same goes for all my crew.
Is it possible that Fone had a bad batch?
What durability issues did you in encounter ? Is it only with your kite ?
Well all the people I know have issues with Bandit Durability they range from Bars breaking in half, to Kites that are no longer fixable after one summer. Love the ride, but the durability is terrible. Will never buy Fone kites.
this is every businessman dream!
merchandise which cost like a golden watch with the lifespan of the napkin! what could be better?

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 pm

eree wrote: this is every businessman dream!
merchandise which cost like a golden watch with the lifespan of the napkin! what could be better?
No internet forums and repeat business

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:36 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:I am sorry, I did not know this was actually about the "Cutest purchase for 2013". Personally, I think the customized graphics are really cool.
Please post again when you have an opinion based on your personal experience. All else held equal, I would choose the better looking piece of equipment, but with the Engine Harness nothing else is equal.
i really don't care about the graphics, since it is optional. but those ugly cut and glue edges are speaking for themselves. and i don't have to.
i just can not buy this hideousness, no way. we living in the time when people fly in space FGS!
and they put it on their site like that!!!
usually things on the pictures are looking better than in real life. so how bad this stuff is really looks?

look for yourself:
timthumb.php.jpg
timthumb.php.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
sorry not for me...

Awn
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fly Kitesurfing Ras Sudr
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr
Style: Airstyle
Gear: 2014 Dice 12meter
2014 Veagas 14 meter
Dakine seat harness
2012 fone trax 133*40
2010 crazy fly 127*38

Postby Awn » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:02 am

eree wrote:
SalmonSlayer wrote:I am sorry, I did not know this was actually about the "Cutest purchase for 2013". Personally, I think the customized graphics are really cool.
Please post again when you have an opinion based on your personal experience. All else held equal, I would choose the better looking piece of equipment, but with the Engine Harness nothing else is equal.
i really don't care about the graphics, since it is optional. but those ugly cut and glue edges are speaking for themselves. and i don't have to.
i just can not buy this hideousness, no way. we living in the time when people fly in space FGS!
usually things on the pictures are looking better than in real life. so how bad this stuff is really looks?

look for yourself:
timthumb.php.jpg
sorry not for me...
Also the price is very very high to get a harness will cost you around 500$ after your done adding the things you need. Even if it was the best harness in the world the price is not justified

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Awn wrote:
eree wrote:i really don't care about the graphics, since it is optional. but those ugly cut and glue edges are speaking for themselves. and i don't have to.

look for yourself:
timthumb.php.jpg
sorry not for me...
Also the price is very very high to get a harness will cost you around 500$ after your done adding the things you need. Even if it was the best harness in the world the price is not justified
I can easily buy a slightly used 2012 bar for less than $200 or I can buy a new 2014 bar for well over $500. What do I get out of the new bar that I do not get out of the 2012 bar? Nothing, but a little more useful life span and a few small design improvements to give the marketing dept, something to talk about. There are a lot of kiters that would not think twice about just buying the new bar and own multiple bars. The marginal cost is great and the marginal gain is low for buying a new bar. I would choose the 2012 bar over the 2014 every time.

In general we only see small improvements in gear from year to year. The reason why you are seeing so many people mention the Engine harness on this thread is because of the huge improvement in the one piece of gear that transfers power from the kite to their body. My recent purchase of an Engine Harness allowed me to experience a huge leap in harness performance in my opinion. I had a Dakine Renegade which is a perfectly good harness, but the fit and significant improvement in performance was well worth the extra cost based on my real user experience. I think the Engine harness or the concept of a rigid harness is the single biggest leap in kiteboarding equipment performance we saw in 2013.

I priced out an Engine harness with no custom graphics and added a couple of features you would find on a standard harness.

Harness $300
Pocket for hook knife $15
Third harness hook strap $15
Spreader bar and pad you need to buy elsewhere $50
Shipping $15
Total $395

Top of the line harness you can buy locally $200

Unlike the bar example above, the Engine harness does provide a significant marginal benefit for the marginal cost based on personal experience. A custom fit harness with real benefits for well less than the cost of a new control bar. I think a reset in perspective is in order if cost is the issue (assuming it is not beyond your budget). The typical kiter will spend way more and only get small improvements with other kite gear.

I get the resistance to how the liner is applied and the finish. I don't think it is attractive either. From looking at it, you do not get the feeling it is applied as well as a factory harness. However, the bottom line is it just works that much better. If the Engine harness only came with pink unicorn graphics, I would still buy it and wear it proudly. Maybe I just think I am cool enough to pull that off.

To each his own, but, I do not see how visual appeal carries much weight in a harness choice when the gain in performance is significant.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 am

My Slingshot SP wakesurfer for light wind and small surf.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:35 am

Engine harness...

Seriously who gives a flying pigs grunt how it fkcn looks, wake up!!

Performance is what counts. Everytime I look up at my dice kites I nearly throw up...(figuratively. Speaking for narrative enthusiasm) but it flies so damn well.

Rigid harness hey, might look into these. Must admit even finding the right production harness for me made a huge difference, especially when you are on the water for so many hours.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:29 am

One of my best purchases was a Quickie "bench brush" at Home Depot. As silly as it sounds, it's a soft bristled brush that does a great job of removing sand from gear and wetsuits without too much abrasion. I keep one in the back of my car at all times.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Flysurfer Peak 6m and 9m (for snowkiting)!

(I actually ordered these in 2013 and just got the kites yesterday so hope that doesn't disqualify my "nomination" :lol: )

I have tried both kites already, one day in super light wind with the 9m...the only other guy able to ride was on a 20m LEI. And then today in super gusty 20-30 kts on super sketchy ice/snow with the 6m...totally under control and felt safe. Very impressive performance, super simple and easy to use, and a great price for these kites! I could go on...but suffice it to say that I am very happy 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”