Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for some good advice on gear

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for some good advice on gear

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06 am

I don;t know about the gear you as I ride other kites, but you should easily be set up with everything and more for the sum you are talking about.

You are hitting the right markers, but getting on the board in a matter if the first half hour make me think he ha not gone through safety procedures. Make sure you know how to self rescue, relaunch and general information about dealing with problems that can arise out there. You really do not want to be miles off shore and have to learn how to self rescue and or relaunch. :-)

good luck

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 pm

heinzbush wrote:... and the Switchblade won the "hangtime award" in the German KiteMag where they used those GPS boxes to measure the jumps...
Off-Topic

And I bet they didn't test/measure the Fuse there?
:wink:

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hmattar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Caesar wrote:
heinzbush wrote:... and the Switchblade won the "hangtime award" in the German KiteMag where they used those GPS boxes to measure the jumps...
Off-Topic

And I bet they didn't test/measure the Fuse there?
:wink:
AAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

true that!

Cheers!

M-AX-X
Rare Poster
Gear: None yet

Postby M-AX-X » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm

No in terms of safety we havent gone over all that much, it was a light wind day and played around with a 9m under supervision. In terms of self rescue etc i will educate myself plenty and ask to practise in the future.

I dont want to go second hand on a kite, for many reasons. But i am definately considering a second hand board! Most sites I see however, new prices arent all that much more than used so ill have to see.

Great having this shared knowledge in one place,
Again, thanks everyone

Max

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Hey Max, I'm guessing you're talking to Aldo for gear?

Cab switchblade is probably the best kite for south fl, it has great wind range and the way it delivers power is just a good match for the way our current runs and the amount of chop we get.

the wind is light most of the time, i would also definitely get a 12m or bigger especially if it's your first kite and will be your only kite for a while. i am 140-150 lbs and I ride a 12 or 13m for 85% of my sessions.

if you have any questions about the area feel free to hit me up. I ride in Boca

PS i would definitely advise getting a second hand kite. there is just way too much markup on gear at a retail shop, $2000+ for one kite/bar is crazy. I just picked up 3 kites from 2012/2013 with 2 bars in amazing condition for about $1200.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 am

Get a GoPro for your board also. They are worth every penny. One tack and my board is back every time. People will tell you there is no need and you will not learn to body drag upwind. There is some truth to that, but if you cannot see your board and believe me they can be impossible to see , you will never find it without one. I lost a brand new board last year. It was ten feet away then gone, two others tried to help and no one could see it.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 am

matth wrote:Get a GoPro for your board also. They are worth every penny. One tack and my board is back every time. People will tell you there is no need and you will not learn to body drag upwind. There is some truth to that, but if you cannot see your board and believe me they can be impossible to see , you will never find it without one. I lost a brand new board last year. It was ten feet away then gone, two others tried to help and no one could see it.
A GoJoe is a good idea when learning. It will save you time and frustration. Boards can be damn hard to see, even after you get good at body dragging.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:19 am

correction. GoJoe, by ocean rodeo. If you do not want to spend 60$. Go to Home Depot and get a whellbarrow inner tube and some yellow or orange tape. Put through your handle and you are rocking a poor mans Joe.

M-AX-X
Rare Poster
Gear: None yet

Postby M-AX-X » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 am

Haha Dylan how'd you know! Must be facebook i guess. But yes Id like to buy my gear through Aldo, hes been of great help and promised me to prepare a very decent price.
Seeing as the switchblade is definately backed up by you all's personal experience and some hefty internet research on my end, this will be my first kite.

A GoJoe eh, ill definately give it some thought! And i love the tube idea, im all up for some good DIY'ing!

Great help guys!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:57 am

M-AX-X wrote: Most sites I see however, new prices arent all that much more than used so ill have to see.
Max
You must be looking in the wrong places. You can pickup 2/3 yr old kites for a few hundred quid these days. Iv'e got 2010/11 rpms which iv'e bought over the last few years and haven't paid over £250 yet. $2000 on one kite just seems mental to me - each to their own i guess. good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”