Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Anybody done that?

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:31 am

jens wrote:All you need is one fast toeside wipeout and one rider loses a bunch of teeth while the other gets new dentures in the back of the head.

Or in the case of the young child a knee , or spreader bar/hook to the back of head.

Christ lighten up and get a few more years under your belt and be confident in your ability.

Damn this sport is attracting some pussies recently.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:20 am

southflorida wrote:So much wrong with this...

If you don't know French (I don't) get someone to translate it to understand what they are saying, maybe they discuss the risks and what they do to mitigate the risks?

Apparently they endorse or actually did take the invalid wheelchair bound girl out for a ride?! she's at minute 2:36 - yikes. Sure, the ride of her life, as long as nothing goes wrong...

Yeah, in double over heads with a novice strapped between me and the bar! How do you undo a line tangle/wrap, death loop, cut lines if necessary, body drag, water start in deep water, manage flying the kite while you are under the foam, anything like that??

If you must, keep to shallow water with no hazards - even then, risky since the person is obviously a total novice, probably doesn't even know how to steer a kite up to 12 if they had to. In a situation, a novice would hold on for dear life and go full power on you just when you don't want it.

Figure out a quick-release to undo yourself from your guest? He looks pretty tightly strapped in with the person, I thought at first it was just his hook on her harness rear handle, but doesn't look that way. Then again, disconnecting yourself from your novice guest might be a death wish, especially since it has to be big kite to begin with.
I fully agree with you... looks fun but can be really dangerous.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:44 am

southflorida wrote:
sijandy wrote:
southflorida wrote:So much wrong with this...

If you don't know French (I don't) get someone to translate it to understand what they are saying, maybe they discuss the risks and what they do to mitigate the risks?

Apparently they endorse or actually did take the invalid wheelchair bound girl out for a ride?! she's at minute 2:36 - yikes. Sure, the ride of her life, as long as nothing goes wrong...

Yeah, in double over heads with a novice strapped between me and the bar! How do you undo a line tangle/wrap, death loop, cut lines if necessary, body drag, water start in deep water, manage flying the kite while you are under the foam, anything like that??

If you must, keep to shallow water with no hazards - even then, risky since the person is obviously a total novice, probably doesn't even know how to steer a kite up to 12 if they had to. In a situation, a novice would hold on for dear life and go full power on you just when you don't want it.

Figure out a quick-release to undo yourself from your guest? He looks pretty tightly strapped in with the person, I thought at first it was just his hook on her harness rear handle, but doesn't look that way. Then again, disconnecting yourself from your novice guest might be a death wish, especially since it has to be big kite to begin with.
Blah blah blah.... same old safety bullshit criticising someone for trying something fun and different and as usual without knowing jack all about it. Good for them I say!

Really? I don't know jack all about it? OK, you make an assumption about me, I'll make one about you: It must be you in the video since you speak authoritatively about me not knowing jack.

Do tell, oh kite surfing god, how are you attached to the invalid girl when you took her out?

Be kind to us all, and do the extra stupid risky stuff alone and maybe you'll get your own Darwin award.

Blah blah blah.... you still going?? I could see your face glowing red and your ears steaming as you sat furiously typing that last one haha! Take a deep breath and go find some children having fun who's day you can ruin. Who's Darwin?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:19 am

I notice he only takes boneable chicks......
Where's all the love for 20 stone white guys who want to do some tandem kiting?

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

As men...Instinctively we come up with some sh_t that seems fun and cool. But one wrong move by mother nature, physics, whatever...and you go from "being the hero to being the goat".

There may be a day or two when conditions could make this a relatively safe ride. But where I kite, those days are few and far between.

Stay safe everyone!

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Christ lighten up and get a few more years under your belt and be confident in your ability.

ok then father and kiter of the year. didn't realize that pointing out the obvious danger involved in this labeled me a unseasoned kiter and pussy. go practice your switch wave riding

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 pm

jens wrote:

ok then father and kiter of the year. didn't realize that pointing out the obvious danger involved in this labeled me a unseasoned kiter and pussy. go practice your switch wave riding

It's official you are a dead set pussy and a fun killer. Take it your job probably involves sitting on committees and making more useless recommendations like this one. We get plenty of days and conditions where this is very safe. Go and live a little you sap.

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 pm

pound nails for a living and if I were Supa Ez I would tell you how much of a better rider I am then you. I will tell you this though, using your same logic I know I am a better father then you(don't have kids) and I hope your son enjoys his short life(based on fathers lack of common sense)

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41

Postby finnkc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 pm

wow ... my dad did tons of dangerous stuff with my brother and I all the time. We would lie down on the pontoons of a Hobie 16 one on each side and take turns getting borderline drown when he was healing over in 30+ knots and crashing into waves. Everyone laughing their ass off and having fun.

Helmet and vest should be on the kiddies tho, no reason to take the extra risk.

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Westozzy wrote:Damn this sport is attracting some pussies recently.

It's been attracting them in mass since bridled kites came out. Started downhill with the crossbow and been pussified more each year since. :kiff:

Return to “Kitesurfing”