Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind Board - Length vs Width Question

Forum for kitesurfers
WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Style: freeride
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Light wind Board - Length vs Width Question

Postby WindS4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Howdy,
I've got a Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck and have been able to ride in 9-12 knots for years, but for me, it is a challenge to jump it, I'm mostly mowing the lawn, yet it gets me on the water, while others are on the beach. Recently in light wind - I hopped on a friends CrazyFly Raptor Pro - I think it was the 137x41 and I was almost staying upwind as well as I was on the FD and I could jump fairly easily. It was eye opening. Wind was prob 12 knots. I have read that each cm in width is equal to a 2 or 4 in length, and Im guessing that the FD's 147 length is the biggest hinderance to jumping...I weight 170lbs...Was that boards build - materials, design, its carbon or its size- or all above, what made it ride upwind about as well as the bigger Flight deck? I ride a Jimmy Lewis Supermodel 135 in stronger breeze, so I suppose the difference in the two boards is vast I guess, and Im hoping for the perfect size for the lighter stuff. Maybe after all these years I dont need a 147 in light breeze anymore? What size, or rail /design qualities, not necessarily brand, would make the most sense for me for Light Wind riding (14 or 15M kites) And actually doing tricks? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Re: Light wind Board - Length vs Width Question

Postby dazarter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 pm

I don't know about that, I've just got a 3 wave t rex (from germany) in 151 x 51, been riding my old 145 x45 which was ok but i needed something bigger for 9 to 14 knots with my 15 metro Rev slingshot, have also just changed my smallest from 136 x 40 to a 3 wave 136 x 42….reason is that i need more low wind performance on my small kites 9, 12, 15 m…on my old 36x40 it was only good from 20 to 35 knots……I'm hoping the new combo is a good solution to ride from 8 knots to 20 (gusts) on the big board, and the smaller from 13 to 35 knots…..

ive had enough of smaller boards!

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:15 am

WindS4 wrote:Howdy,
I've got a Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck and have been able to ride in 9-12 knots for years, but for me, it is a challenge to jump it, I'm mostly mowing the lawn, yet it gets me on the water, while others are on the beach. Recently in light wind - I hopped on a friends CrazyFly Raptor Pro - I think it was the 137x41 and I was almost staying upwind as well as I was on the FD and I could jump fairly easily. It was eye opening. Wind was prob 12 knots. I have read that each cm in width is equal to a 2 or 4 in length, and Im guessing that the FD's 147 length is the biggest hinderance to jumping...I weight 170lbs...Was that boards build - materials, design, its carbon or its size- or all above, what made it ride upwind about as well as the bigger Flight deck? I ride a Jimmy Lewis Supermodel 135 in stronger breeze, so I suppose the difference in the two boards is vast I guess, and Im hoping for the perfect size for the lighter stuff. Maybe after all these years I dont need a 147 in light breeze anymore? What size, or rail /design qualities, not necessarily brand, would make the most sense for me for Light Wind riding (14 or 15M kites) And actually doing tricks? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
I have that CrazyFly board and love it. I can't tell you why it works so well, but it seems to be a very efficient board, fun to ride and also easy on the knees in chop. I weigh a little more than you and there are not that many worthwhile days that the CrazyFly doesn't do the trick. I also agree that with experience you become more adept at getting the most out of the wind.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:51 am

I have that same flight deck and I agree it doesn't jump like other boards. I've alway assumed it was the stiffness that made it hard to pop, but maybe it is length?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 am

It's most likely the width of the board. How wide is the FD? If a board is too wide, your heels are too far from the edge which makes it harder to hold an edge to jump high. To get the best height, you need to hold the power right until the end. If a board is too wide, it's harder to hold the edge and riders will let off the edge just before lift off.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

bayron
Medium Poster

Postby bayron » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:21 pm

For riding in low wind conditions not only the lenght and width, but also shape of board is important. Boards with a big rocker even at big length and width sizes, can go worse than a much smaller size board but with small rocker. Boards with rockers 2,5-3cm at board size 135-137cm are good in planning and works ideally in low wind conditions. But of course nothing is better in low wind than special "low wind" board. For example, I am teaching my students on Aboards Glider which is good for teaching and also for usual riding. Some friends of mine and clients use Glider as low wind board and enjoy the ride while other boards are not able to ride in such low wind conditions.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:34 pm

bayron...well said. flatter rocker boards will also be harder to hold an edge when overpowered, so jumping wider, flatter boards make it harder than other boards when overpowered and trying to get max height.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:10 pm

The amount of rocker is also really important, just like was said above. I find that the Spleene Door 159x45 is really great for light wind and I jump it all the time in heavier wind. The pads and fins are biased to the heelside, making it easier to hold when powered. I recently rode a board that is bigger than that, but the pads are set to far from the edge, making my shins hurt after about 10 minutes.
Now, the Spleene Door is really good for light wind, especially b/c it has ZERO rocker. However, that lack of rocker makes it a challenge to ride in anything bigger than moderate chop.

As far as stiffness goes, for going BIG, more is better. The flexier the board is, the more energy that you give up when loading up for a jump. BUT, the stiffer board is less forgiving and more difficult to jump in strong wind. You CAN have your cake and eat it, too, but it requires patience and tenacity. Good luck.

BTW, I had that Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD 137 and it was a great board. A friend likened it to barefoot skiing behind the kite. However, at 230 lbs, I had to be LIT to ride it. Doesn't happen often enough here for me, so I had to sell her. :cry:

pch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rugen

Postby pch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm

i`m still very satisfied with Aboards Glider, unfortunately I didn`t make my video yet, but here is other good video - test of light wind kiteboard
http://vimeo.com/69455246

WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites

Postby WindS4 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:01 am

Thanks for all the replies. The Flight Deck is 147 x 46, though Im not exactly sure how much rocker it has. I dont live in an epic kiting location, ie (light wind, no retail shop anywhere around), so no demos locally....only on vacation or friends boards.... I guess I'll do a bit more research and look to get a 138-142 x 40-44 board that I can hopefully use for my light wind board going forward. Im not sure what makes it awkward to jump, I think its a combo of the length and width.... Since I know that Raptor basically fit the bill, perhaps one size bigger? 137x43 or 140x42? hmmmmm...? They make so many sizes....Which one is will go upwind better and which one will jump better...Nuances I know....
Thanks again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”