Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2014 North Evo review (in comparimsment to the 2013 Fuse)

Forum for kitesurfers
Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2014 North Evo review (in comparimsment to the 2013 Fuse

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 am

grey 2864 wrote:Personally having flown both Evo and the Dice would say the Dice is more stable at the vey top end , if rear lines have not been shortened ie not so jerky and better behaved at the bar , but then again if you tighten the back lines by one knot under the floats and they are not so slack on the back lines on the Dice the wing tips close up pinch near the very top end of its wind range , and the kite requires more trimming , personally felt back lines when kite at bottom end of its wind range to slack on the Dice, unless shortened by one knot under the floats prefer the Evo on its stock settings has greater bar pressure and flies with more back line tension but again have too say they are two completely different kites and not really comparable , West Ozzy is right if the back lines were slightly slacker the top end on the Evo would definitely be better and less jerky at the bar at the upper end after all the canopy should be more stable after all the Evo has five struts not 3 , but then again I have been flying the Rebel for years and prefer that style of kite just wanted to leave the five lines behind , but you will never match the rock solid stability of the Rebel at it top end or its jumping / hangtime , but I think the Evo is as close as I will get at the moment

That 2014 rebel is a beautiful wing. So stable in big winds, even smoother than the 2012. If I wasn't into waves and freestyle as well I'd be on the rebel for sure 5 lines and all.

windfreak
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windfreak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks guys, i have own rebels,fuses,evo s,wanting now something different ,more wave oriented,each of them(14 evo,dice,neo) have their own qualities but i guess like other peoples ,i will not be able to demo these three kites togethers in the same conditions so that why all of your reviews are very appreciated before i make my choice and open my empty wallet for a new toy :nono: (my wife) so Keep on REVIEWINGGGG! CHEERS :cool2: THE FREAK !

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Westozzy wrote:Yep we did to, about the same wind speed to. Take some tension out of your back lines...increase the back line length in its upper range will help with this. As I said any kite that flies off the front lines like that needs to be carefully trimmed in its upper range.
Westozzy, so your saying that if I lengthen the back lines on the Dice in its upper range shouldnt get any leading edge deformation ? and the Evo flies better doing the same thing ? Hadnt thought of that ?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:03 am

No was referring to the Evo which is far more prone to over sheeting. Leave the dice on its factory setting...it will fly forward even when pulled all the way in...it's set up to unhook without touching the trim. Hence why I actually shortened the back lines on the dice until I got enough front line stretch now it's on the factory setting again...but that's because I do more freeride, wave riding, hooked in powered freestyle. Although been getting a ton of flat water sessions lately so unhooking a lot, so I need to trim it just a touch.

When we first had the Evo out it flew like a bag of sht. All four of us were like wtf! Then I realised we had the Evo on my quad bar, back lines shortened one knot up from the factory. So we put them back, vast improvement. Then the wind on the 9m hit upper twenties, and we had to pull some more trim in to get those back lines right.

Listen you cannot get away from the profile design of these three kites!!!

Yes the Evo can be unhooked, it can be looped (but you better be proficient), of course you can handle pass, even ride waves.....and we found this in the first hour or so. But once warmed up we then quickly started to reach a 'limit' to the kites ability to do the things say a dice can do. It depends on how advanced you want to push the other styles. The design profile will cause a certain 'wall' that only the very best can handle. Same thing with the rebel in the waves...man we were getting some serious height and hang time on the rebel...such wonderful smoothness that the new Evo does not have as yet, give it time though it's only a first gen incarnation. The rebel also was working early on in the waves.....but then we pushed it. Big sets, aggressive take offs in critical sections and it hit a wall, wasn't intuitive in the waves like the dice or neo. There is a limit.

On the the flip side, the dice to reaches a point with hooked in jumping. We have it now to a point that we can get relatively high and some decent hang time on the dice, but it takes a really honed technique....you have to be really dialed in and have lots of water time to extract this....but again it reaches a point where the rebel and Evo will kill it in this department, no matter how advanced your technique is.

Be honest where you are at with your riding and how far you want to push each area of your riding.

But one kite is not better than the other, it all depends on where you are at and how hard you want to go in each area.

For us the dice is a better choice. It's an obvious intuitive kite for a beginner/intermediate, but it takes a good rider with good technique to really suck out its potential. The Evo and rebel are more 'obvious' kites and will reward you much quicker......to start with ...

CKite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Playa del Carmen (Mexico), Kitebeach (Cabarette,DR), Paros Pounda (Greece Kyklades)
Style: Allround
Gear: North, Slingshot, Airrush, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: CaribbeanKite

Postby CKite » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 am

the north evo 2014 is a good allround kite, freestyle / freeride kite, it should have a beter low end, better hangtime.The different settings to atache the lines gives the kite a new feeling of flying the kite under diferent conditions.
On the desingn colors i think they look better this year.

www.caribbean-kite.com

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:54 am

[quote="CKite"]the north evo 2014 is a good allround kite, freestyle / freeride kite, it should have a beter low end, better hangtime.The different settings to atache the lines gives the kite a new feeling of flying the kite under diferent conditions.
On the desingn colors i think they look better this year.

It should have a better low end and hang time...yes it does. Not quite as much as the rebel.

Freestyle? Nah only the very basics unless you are nearing a pro level whereby they can use just about any wing to do what they do. It reaches it limits pretty quickly in this arena and in the waves.mNot near enough C in it. Well none really....lol.

It is what it is, don't bullshit yourselves or others. Or do what we do, get 4 separate riders over a week and ride them all back to back in waves and on the flat. My observations are not just my own and we put many hours in the water and put them under all sorts of 'pressure'.

Also don't kid yourself the rebel is still the outstanding jumper of all these kites. The fuse used to be, a muscle kite that went big, but the new Evo is not the new fuse.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi Westozzzzzz , did you try the 2014 neo,i would liked your review against the dice and the new evo ... :thumb:

chilidip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach & Pier 1
Favorite Beaches: Holly Beach, Texas
Style: One handed Bucking Bronco
Gear: Slingshot REV 11m
Eclipse NaNo 6m
Brand Affiliation: None :-(

Postby chilidip » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Westozzy wrote:No was referring to the Evo which is far more prone to over sheeting. Leave the dice on its factory setting...it will fly forward even when pulled all the way in...it's set up to unhook without touching the trim. Hence why I actually shortened the back lines on the dice until I got enough front line stretch now it's on the factory setting again...but that's because I do more freeride, wave riding, hooked in powered freestyle. Although been getting a ton of flat water sessions lately so unhooking a lot, so I need to trim it just a touch.

When we first had the Evo out it flew like a bag of sht. All four of us were like wtf! Then I realised we had the Evo on my quad bar, back lines shortened one knot up from the factory. So we put them back, vast improvement. Then the wind on the 9m hit upper twenties, and we had to pull some more trim in to get those back lines right.

Listen you cannot get away from the profile design of these three kites!!!

Yes the Evo can be unhooked, it can be looped (but you better be proficient), of course you can handle pass, even ride waves.....and we found this in the first hour or so. But once warmed up we then quickly started to reach a 'limit' to the kites ability to do the things say a dice can do. It depends on how advanced you want to push the other styles. The design profile will cause a certain 'wall' that only the very best can handle. Same thing with the rebel in the waves...man we were getting some serious height and hang time on the rebel...such wonderful smoothness that the new Evo does not have as yet, give it time though it's only a first gen incarnation. The rebel also was working early on in the waves.....but then we pushed it. Big sets, aggressive take offs in critical sections and it hit a wall, wasn't intuitive in the waves like the dice or neo. There is a limit.

On the the flip side, the dice to reaches a point with hooked in jumping. We have it now to a point that we can get relatively high and some decent hang time on the dice, but it takes a really honed technique....you have to be really dialed in and have lots of water time to extract this....but again it reaches a point where the rebel and Evo will kill it in this department, no matter how advanced your technique is.

Be honest where you are at with your riding and how far you want to push each area of your riding.

But one kite is not better than the other, it all depends on where you are at and how hard you want to go in each area.

For us the dice is a better choice. It's an obvious intuitive kite for a beginner/intermediate, but it takes a good rider with good technique to really suck out its potential. The Evo and rebel are more 'obvious' kites and will reward you much quicker......to start with ...

Excellent review Ozzy! I concur...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 am

windfreak wrote:Hi Westozzzzzz , did you try the 2014 neo,i would liked your review against the dice and the new evo ... :thumb:

They aren't here yet as far as I know? but yeh will definetly have a crack on the new neo.

Be interesting out see what they have done to make it an even better wave kite?

North are starting to get some clarification in their kite lineup again....especially if those pictures of the new Vegas are legit.

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Westozzy, what's your weight?

Return to “Kitesurfing”