Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: RPM vs Dice

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Use a north quad bar...oh that's been said.

Also.,

Use a north quad bar.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet

Postby Massimo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:35 pm

I will try next time to swap bars and see what happens but I do not like the above the bar trim... it is dangerous since a line ones got stuck in to it and i experienced the deadloop.
much better the old SS bar with nothing up there, no depower, no swivel, no nothing :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:19 am

Been thinking about your logic, such that because you were on a 20m SS bar that means the Y is the same distance away as if you used a 24m north bar. Thing is it is not only the distance away from the kite but also the interaction between the Y and the back lines attached to the bar. The distance from the Y to the bar also must have an impact on kite performance. Not saying this is gospel but a point of conjecture about your logic.

Between you and me the dice flies best on 22m lines anyhow. I regularly stick 2m extensions on my bar when on the 12m (as this is the recommended length for the 12m) but I always keep switching back to 22 even on the 12.

In the end it comes down to how the wing feels to you. I have not felt any deformation nor has the other heavier riders even in gusty easterlies. But it all comes down to what you notice and feel.

Must admit I really really liked the rpm, such an unreal feel at the bar hey. Almost perfect bar pressure. But it really fell short relative to the dice in the waves on a SB and TT, significantly so in conditions that you really needed your wing to work for you in places far off shore, isolated and intense waves.

But I'm the first to say the rpm is a superb kite.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137

Postby Massimo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:05 pm

If I compare side by side the RPM feedback vs Dice feedback for my riding style and feeling there is no discussion... Dice is winning the battle hands down (at least with the SS 20m bar). I would like to underline that I owned RPM for the last 4 years, so I am really used to the RPM feeling but I feel the Dice much better on the bar and how it jumps. The kiteloops on the RPM are more powerful while the Dice is more pussyloop oriented but I do not need the radical pull of the RPM for my weekend sessions.
However I still need to figure out how the dice behaves at the high end with the SS vs. the North bar (with the smaller board and not a light wind board as I was using this week end) :)

I will keep you posted

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 pm

You know what.

I'm trying my best to believe that the Y at 20m makes any difference at all. The conclusion I come to is that the wont make shit difference to the performance of kite.
The increased tension on the canopy to hold it at a particular shape through the gusts would be minimal to none.

Maybe if the Y was within 5-10 meters of the kite it would have an impact.

I just can't see that it matters at all.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137

Postby Massimo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

plummet wrote:You know what.

I'm trying my best to believe that the Y at 20m makes any difference at all. The conclusion I come to is that the wont make shit difference to the performance of kite.
The increased tension on the canopy to hold it at a particular shape through the gusts would be minimal to none.

Maybe if the Y was within 5-10 meters of the kite it would have an impact.

I just can't see that it matters at all.
Actually my personal feeling is that it matters a lot but not for the kite behaviour (in that I fully agree with you :thumb: , but I pretend to do not know this :baby: therefore I need to test it) it matters with regards kite feedback.

I believe that higher is the Y worse is the kite feedback

all the rest is marketing

however I can be wrong... I was wrong before :lol:

I almost forgot to say that the lenght of the lines play also a big role in terms of wind range and reactivity of the kite... but that should be pretty clear for everybody.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:32 am

Higher the Y worse the feedback...yeh I could give that idea some temporary credit, makes some sense.

Unless of course someone could put forward another point of view. Yes I'd really like to know why the high Y from north. Also the double front safety. I absolutely dig the dice but these aspects I don't. Not one bit.

From north....who am I kidding....bahahahaha...

Is there a designer from north who would like to comment? That long mini fifth is so fcking annoying and single front safety is a far better system, safer and kills the kite completely.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm

In my eyes it goes back to the introduction of bridled kites. North resisted this and stuck with their patented 5th line. In order to gain the same support that a bridle offers they went with a high Y and a split 5th line giving you a similar amount of support.
The continued use is a hangover from that , as they would have make a new bar that meant the old ones that people use would be redundant, and the fact that they like to offer their bridled kites as 4 or 5 line.
Mini 5th lines can not be relied on but there is a simple mod to turn the trust bar into a single line flag out.
I demoed a 9m dice and was pleased to find that everything that has been said is about right, It is a very good kite, not groundbreaking in any way, just a great blend of characteristics.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Good info man, makes sense. Mod you say, enlighten...

Thought your last sentence was also spot on.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 pm

The mod is like the Ozone safety connection with a stopper ball and a stainless steel ring, The single centre grey line larks heads to the stainless ring, one of the front lines also larks heads to the front ring, The other goes through the stopper ball and larks heads to the red line.It must be a perfect fit so stop it slipping through under load.
There is someone who does this locally but as with any mod you need to understand how it works and test it for your self.

Return to “Kitesurfing”