KiteTheBay
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay Area
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteoarding with FoilBoard: Entering the water

Postby KiteTheBay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 pm

So, I've been down in Mexico and been wanting to use the warm weather for some new video inspiration. Turns out, I found a lot of interesting situations where thoughtful handling with your foil board is necessary. So, I started to get busy with the camera. Let me know what know what other positions could be useful and maybe I can try it next time.

John

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteoarding with FoilBoard: Entering the water

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:11 pm

KiteTheBay wrote:So, I've been down in Mexico and been wanting to use the warm weather for some new video inspiration. Turns out, I found a lot of interesting situations where thoughtful handling with your foil board is necessary. So, I started to get busy with the camera. Let me know what know what other positions could be useful and maybe I can try it next time.

John

Great to see "different" ways of handling foilboards :thumb:

Actually, the handling part is what takes a lot of time to get used to in the start.

Especially how to bodydrag "out" when onshore conditions, and you need to bodydrag upwind for sufficient depth to ride.

I might be able to find a few shots myself, of two different techniques I use personally.

It can also be different from brand to brand, and whether you have a wide raceboard or a waveboard or a small plate.

8) Peter

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Peter, this is my greatest fear. Where i go, 4 daysa our of 5 the wind is dead onshore. Using my Se/21 and a mako king, it takes me several tacks to get out past the (very small) breakers. usually the kite is lifting me up when i get to chest deep so i can't walk out further. I've never been the best at body dragging...i've got lots of apprehension about my first time...right now, my foil is on order and my water is cold! can't wait for this type instruction.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Arcsrule wrote:Peter, this is my greatest fear. Where i go, 4 daysa our of 5 the wind is dead onshore. Using my Se/21 and a mako king, it takes me several tacks to get out past the (very small) breakers. usually the kite is lifting me up when i get to chest deep so i can't walk out further. I've never been the best at body dragging...i've got lots of apprehension about my first time...right now, my foil is on order and my water is cold! can't wait for this type instruction.

with body dragging, you really need to get your body extended with your arm closest to the water acting almost like a fin. I find I can go the best angle upwind when I depower the kite a little and fully extend my body with my head almost under water (obvs you need your head up for breathing) but it is most effective when your whole body is in the water.

It's amazing how many people are not confident or effective at body dragging. (that's not a dig at your skills)

I have seen a vid of Marc Blanc riding his foil (strapless) upside down. That could be a mega cool way to enter the water :)

Tone

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:19 pm

My body dragging upwind has mainely been depower kite directly over head, backstroke, and then ease on over. I fly peter lynn and flysurfer.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:29 am

In fact, it's pretty easy to bodydrag upwind with an arm layed on the board, since the foil acts as a giant fin. With a Flysurfer it's even easier. 8)

lodwik
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island CA
La Ventana Baja Mexico
Favorite Beaches: both
Style: foiling
Gear: North kits
Carifino foil (2010 foil)
Lift foil (2013)
Zeeko foil (2013)
Been thanked: 0

Postby lodwik » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 am

Entering is no problems , but around rocks in La ventana(especially in larger swills , I have a buoy off shore around a 100ft .
hook the foil to the buoy , body drag in , land the kite & swim back & get the foil.
Also Much safer in gusty winds , a the cliff tend to make it even more gusty , north of La Ventana.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:57 am

Arcsrule wrote:My body dragging upwind has mainely been depower kite directly over head, backstroke, and then ease on over. I fly peter lynn and flysurfer.
That's your problem. You need your kite down low. When it is above you it will have less useful pull.

Get the kite down to 10 O clock and see the difference.

I am also on fs kites, it should be super easy.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 am

lezo wrote:In fact, it's pretty easy to bodydrag upwind with an arm layed on the board, since the foil acts as a giant fin. With a Flysurfer it's even easier. 8)
True - but you have to angle the board so the keel/mast is in line with the watersurface.

If you just put your arm over the board with mast straight down, you can not bodydrag, as you need at least 1½ meter of depth, preferably more, if you dont want to damage the foil on the bottom (assuming there is always up to ½m waves)

So you need to be able to bodydrag upwind and out with the board edges and wings acting as keels - which works fine, but many different ways of doing this.

The tricky point is of course when its 10 knots or less - as above 10 knots everyone can boarddrag upwind easily I assume.

But in light and super light winds, it becomes a real task and maybe not possible always ?

You might be able to ride in less wind, than you can body/board-drag - because the kite can not stay in the air by itself unless a special light wind kite of course.

This is why sideshore or sideon is preffered in really light conditions - as you will also need some downwind space for getting into planing - so bodydragging out in dead onshore can be really really hard, and you might end up hitting something while trying to foil, for riding in sub 10 knots :roll:

Thus, your board dragging out has to be able to get you well clear of the coast (far out) and very important to master in light conditions.

8) Peter

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
True - but you have to angle the board so the keel/mast is in line with the watersurface.

If you just put your arm over the board with mast straight down, you can not bodydrag, as you need at least 1½ meter of depth, preferably more, if you dont want to damage the foil on the bottom (assuming there is always up to ½m waves)

So you need to be able to bodydrag upwind and out with the board edges and wings acting as keels -
Peter, if you are not a person of very short stature, you will be able to walk into the water against the wind until 1- 1.2 meter depth and then use the foil as a big vertical fin to help you bodydrag as far as possible to have enough downwind space to launch the foil. Of course if you have very weak dead on-shore wind AND big waves, it will be a true challenge. When I was learning to foil, a friend of mine, who was already a skilled foiler, helped me by riding my foil over the shorebreak in such conditions, I followed him swimming, he passed me the foil and came back to the beach swimming.
Last edited by lezo on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”