Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

EpicKites 4G

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello guys,
I am back in the USA testing the limits on light wind conditions with the INFINITY v3 in Florida Keys. It was blowing 3 to maybe 5 knots maximum (see pictures bellow). While I was pumping the INFINITY V3 kite at Curry Hammock park to see if something was wrong with the kite or bar & lines, few kiters came to me and asked if I was really going to put this kite in the air because of the lack of wind!!!!
I told them I had to, but I wish for a little more wind and told them that this kite was sent back to me because something was wrong with the kite or the bar and wanted to check it out and fix what ever was going on with the kite. So I explained them the whole deal about this kite and about the light wind test the guys did at XLKites shop for one of the Kitefourms.
So once the kite was pumped I went and checked all the bridles and attachment point of the kite and everything was perfect. So nothing was wrong with the kite. Then I took the bar out and start unrolling it until I found out that the bar had the 5 meter extension lines added to the 22 meter lines and that one of the steering lines of the 22 meter lines was 10 cm longer compare to the other 3 lines. Plus the Depower strap was fully pulled down. I just hope the tester knew better and did not try to fly the INFINITY with the Depower strap pulled way down because its like driving a car with the Hand Break on.
People have to understand that the INFINITY comes with 5 meter extension lines in the bag, so riders over 240 lbs can add these extension lines for more power, but they will loose some of its performance such turning speed and direct feel of the kite. But for riders that are between 150 to 230 lbs the INFINITY V3 performs the best with 22 meter lines. So fly the kite with the 22 meter lines. No need to make it 27 meter lines. All the videos you see of me in very light wind is with 22 meter lines only. All the testimonials we have from magazines and kiters is with the 22 meter lines. Rarely you will be using these 5 meter extension lines. So in few words I removed these 5 meter lines, fixed one of the flying lines of the bar and made the bar perfectly straight and launched the INFINITY V3 on 22 meter lines. All the kiters on the beach could not believe how well the kite was sitting up in the air in less then 5 knots of wind. I have videos if you want to see.

P.S. By the way, this happened today (1/28/2014) . I also had to ask some of these kiters for some help setting the kite for a hot launch, because that was the only way to launch the kite in such light conditions. Plus they are the ones who took the pictures and videos for me.
Attachments
1 Opening the kite for test.jpg
2 Checking the kite and briddles.jpg
3 Checking the bar.jpg
4 Readjusting the Line.jpg
5 Fixing the line.jpg
6 Bar fixed.jpg
7 Removed the 5 m extension.jpg
8 Ready to launch.jpg
9 No much wind to test wish it was blowing at least a litte more 7 to 12 knots.jpg
10 Having kiters help me setting up the kite for a hot launch.jpg
11 Ready to hot launch1.jpg
12 hot launching 1.jpg
13 Hot launching 2.jpg
14 Kite up in the air perfectly trimmed.jpg
15 Heading in the water with the SUP.png
16 Trying to get up on the SUP board.  That was very hard.  Especially when there is no wind in the kite.png
17 Ok I am up.png
18 moving.png
19 Planning in no much wind.png
20 moving but that is not fun.png
21 People watching.png

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 am

you should be in the OBX so you can go snow kiting wed. jockey ridge snow kite would be wicked...

Terrie

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 am

you should be in the OBX so you can go snow kiting wed. jockey ridge snow kite would be wicked...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: tkettlepoint you are right. Will be there on Thursday for an Epic snow session.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

As I mentioned in my previous post I have videos of that day. So I was able to put something together so you get an idea of the conditions the INFINITY V3 was flying in. (see video bellow). Since then I've been getting so many responses after posting this video yesterday of the INFINITY v3 kite in action. This is one of the response I received. This is the reason why I want you guys to demo the EPIC kites, because I know what the kites can do and in this situation what the INFINITY can do. Or else I wouldn't even send kites for people to demo world wide. So don't be shy and email me so you can see it for yourself because that is the real test. Don't listen to any one just test the kite and then you can make your own decision.
Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 8.38.00 AM.png

YOUTUBE:

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 am

Random January Moments in the depths of UK winter
https://vimeo.com/85379188

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM

Postby LanBro » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:09 am

Looks like fun :roll:

Its impressive that it stays in the air but honestly there is a point when its better just to do something else

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey Dimitri I have been using the judge that I had to take the 3G screamer 10 back out again! Man I love that kite that I may have to look into the 4G screamer 10 to see the difference! Hands down I will always have a 10m LTD in my quiver! It is the perfect one kite quiver for when I need to travel light and still my favorite kite to date (followed closely by the judge :thumb: )

James

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:21 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Dimitri I have been using the judge that I had to take the 3G screamer 10 back out again! Man I love that kite that I may have to look into the 4G screamer 10 to see the difference! Hands down I will always have a 10m LTD in my quiver! It is the perfect one kite quiver for when I need to travel light and still my favorite kite to date (followed closely by the judge :thumb: )

James
I have one of those Epic 10 LTD 3g too. Amazing range, boost, upwind ability.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 pm

The SURF kites arrived here and we were pretty keen to try them out but the wind died when we got to the beach, I pumped up the 13m Renegade whilst the rest of the guys pumped up there biggest kites also. It was around the 14mph at the time.
I then thought I'd at least just fly the kite to get a feel for it as I had tried a very early proto type of the kite....which quite franky I told D it was shit!!
It was so so slow and heavy on the bar.

8m Surf or an Infinity??

Anyway I was surprised how powerful it felt so I thought I may as well give it a go...I know I know I am biased ( we distribute Epic in the UK and are very much dialed into the feel of Epic) BUT....man this kite really did surprise me, first off I flew way up wind whilst the rest were closer to shore struggling on way bigger kites, it turns SO fast too! I didn't really get a full chance to see how it drifts as the winds were pretty light for most of the time, however a sqaul did come through which hit 30mph plus and I was still fine.

I did wonder at times why a dedicated Surf kite when the Renegade (especially the new 4G's) are so good in the waves already, however after just one session I know which kite I will be calling shotgun over mrs.blast!!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Poster: windsuks
The SURF kites arrived here and we were pretty keen to try them out but the wind died when we got to the beach, I pumped up the 13m Renegade whilst the rest of the guys pumped up there biggest kites also. It was around the 14mph at the time.
I then thought I'd at least just fly the kite to get a feel for it as I had tried a very early proto type of the kite....which quite franky I told D it was shit!!
It was so so slow and heavy on the bar.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember that day 9 months ago, when you tried the SURF 8 prototype and you were not very impressed with it but I told you that I was not very impressed either and was working on few more prototypes. Plus I am the one who said that kite was "shit".
Any way as you can see it is a totally different feel then the one you tried last time. Did you get the chance to fly it on 18 meter lines or you kept it on the 22 meter lines that are on the XTEND EPIC bar?
Now wait until you try the SURF 12. If you think the SURF 8 was great just wait.

Return to “Kitesurfing”