Favorite Beaches: Maui and the World.
Style: Perfect
Gear: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Brand Affiliation: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question to the World of Hydrofoiling?

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:17 am

Which hydrofoil is winning the most races and sending the most riders to the podium in 1st place?

lander
Frequent Poster

Re: Question to the World of Hydrofoiling???

Postby lander » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:45 am

The answer right now will be Taaroa and Spotz. But also Lift was also doing good at the Californien Championship. And GP foil is doing ok at the French. But the first Gold Cup will take place in 1,5 month. Then we will know. I believe the battle for the podium will stand between Nicolas Parlier and Adam Withington on Spotz and Johnny Heineken and Brian Lake on Taaroa. If they all compete?
Why do you ask? I thought you knew everything about the sport ;)

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 pm

lander wrote:The answer right now will be Taaroa and Spotz. But also Lift was also doing good at the Californien Championship. And GP foil is doing ok at the French. But the first Gold Cup will take place in 1,5 month. Then we will know. I believe the battle for the podium will stand between Nicolas Parlier and Adam Withington on Spotz and Johnny Heineken and Brian Lake on Taaroa. If they all compete?
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
I know what I am doing, I know what I know, but I do not have time to follow because I am working on leading the way.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 am

C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:
lander wrote:The answer right now will be Taaroa and Spotz. But also Lift was also doing good at the Californien Championship. And GP foil is doing ok at the French. But the first Gold Cup will take place in 1,5 month. Then we will know. I believe the battle for the podium will stand between Nicolas Parlier and Adam Withington on Spotz and Johnny Heineken and Brian Lake on Taaroa. If they all compete?
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
I know what I am doing, I know what I know, but I do not have time to follow because I am working on leading the way.
Sir, if you were leading the way, you would be leading the way.

When will we see the foil? the board is neither here nor there (for most of us), the foil is where the magic happens.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Tone,
I like you am watching carefully what Christopher Manny Carabello (Mango Carafino) is up to.
But you loose credibility when you reply without reading carefully!
He wrote " I am working on leading the way", NOT " I am leading the way"!
I personally am excited to see what he comes up with? We all should welcome innovation!
And as for pricing, competition is good.
I know for a fact that a lot of time and money has been invested working with highly educated hydrodynamic engineers to develop and manufacture certain hydrofoils available now.
They work, there is proof! There are skilled composite engineers using decades of experience to build foils that are well thought out, light, strong and fast! Fantastic!
I do not need to mention brands as you can research yourself, the info is out there!
There are also many smart, hard working guys in their workshops thinking about, designing, building, and testing kiteboardhydrofoils as I type this, hopefully there will be even better innovations!
So let us see if caraf can build a competitive kiteboardhydrofoil set up?
Boards and foils that are strong, light, fast and do not break!
Can he compete?
As he wants his gear on "THE PODIUM" it will be easy to see.
I think he and many others are missing the market completely by only wanting to go fast!!
A strong stable user friendly upgradeable foil (wings) that is beginner capable seems to me to be where it is at?
I must say that first kiteboardhydrofoil that I saw and watched being flown was Carafino in 2008.
So to the best of my knowledge it was the first commercially (purpose built for kiting) available for sale, but an AIR CHAIR (ITSELF) or something similar
could certainly have been used with a kite, and probably was!
And as he now claims that he was the first to use a AIR CHAIR style foil and use a kite for power I must say Thanx!
But let us be very clear!
Stand up board hydrofoiling was being done on waves.
Sit down and stand up hydrofoiling was being done towed by boats.
The carbon foil that caraf built was most definitely based on AIR CHAIRS design. This info can be found easily!
So can by taking an existing foil design and an existing kite and using them together be considered inventing kiteboardhydrofoiling, you decide.
But, in my opinion, there was not much innovation used for the foil or board other than making them out of carbon.
It will be VERY interesting to see his foil for real and even more so to read and see how it flies!
revhed

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 am

revhed wrote:Tone,
I like you am watching carefully what Christopher Manny Carabello (Mango Carafino) is up to.
But you loose credibility when you reply without reading carefully!
He wrote " I am working on leading the way", NOT " I am leading the way"!
I personally am excited to see what he comes up with? We all should welcome innovation!
And as for pricing, competition is good.
I know for a fact that a lot of time and money has been invested working with highly educated hydrodynamic engineers to develop and manufacture certain hydrofoils available now.
They work, there is proof! There are skilled composite engineers using decades of experience to build foils that are well thought out, light, strong and fast! Fantastic!
I do not need to mention brands as you can research yourself, the info is out there!
There are also many smart, hard working guys in their workshops thinking about, designing, building, and testing kiteboardhydrofoils as I type this, hopefully there will be even better innovations!
So let us see if caraf can build a competitive kiteboardhydrofoil set up?
Boards and foils that are strong, light, fast and do not break!
Can he compete?
As he wants his gear on "THE PODIUM" it will be easy to see.
I think he and many others are missing the market completely by only wanting to go fast!!
A strong stable user friendly upgradeable foil (wings) that is beginner capable seems to me to be where it is at?
I must say that first kiteboardhydrofoil that I saw and watched being flown was Carafino in 2008.
So to the best of my knowledge it was the first commercially (purpose built for kiting) available for sale, but an AIR CHAIR (ITSELF) or something similar
could certainly have been used with a kite, and probably was!
And as he now claims that he was the first to use a AIR CHAIR style foil and use a kite for power I must say Thanx!
But let us be very clear!
Stand up board hydrofoiling was being done on waves.
Sit down and stand up hydrofoiling was being done towed by boats.
The carbon foil that caraf built was most definitely based on AIR CHAIRS design. This info can be found easily!
So can by taking an existing foil design and an existing kite and using them together be considered inventing kiteboardhydrofoiling, you decide.
But, in my opinion, there was not much innovation used for the foil or board other than making them out of carbon.
It will be VERY interesting to see his foil for real and even more so to read and see how it flies!
revhed

Hello Revhead:
I love your your posts.

Keeping'em coming!!!
Also, let me know when your at the next event, we can race one on one.

Carafino

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Spotz and Taaora. remember you are not the only one developing Mr. Carafino these guys are also still developing and they are far far ahead in the game (some of us might call this "Leading the way" and some of us lead from the behind i guess).
By the time all the copies are getting released these guys would be onto their refined and improved models.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Question to the World of Hydrofoiling?

Postby Guttorm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Bryan Lake, the 2012 PKRA World Tour Racing Champion, wins first inaugural kite hydrofoil Kailua Cup Race 2014 02.15. First Place Bryan Lake, Kite Ozone, Hydrofoil Taaroa, Second Place, Kite Cabrinha, Hydrofoil Carafino, Third Place, Kite North, Hydrofoil Carafino.
:thumb:

cookiemonster
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Garrylucas & Ballycotton, Co. Cork, Rep. of Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Same as Local Beach!
Gear: flys with Flysurfer Speed2 15 SA, PsychoIV 8 & 12, Pulse1 5m
on homemade hydrofoil & SeaThrough boards 128/37 & 139/42 & wave 165/44
Inside my cupboard: surf Airush Converse 6'3 - Nobile Shinn Pro
Brand Affiliation: www.SeaThroughBoards.com of course

Postby cookiemonster » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:23 pm

@Guttorm: would love to have a list of participant and a nice picture of the podium!
can you supply that? :lol:

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 pm

the foil will not wind the race alone. The kite must be superior too. and the operator must be good at controlling the foil, controlling the kite and be able to strategically place himself in a winning position. Eventually, the winner will be riding a foil and flying a foil--my opinion only :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”