GoPro fogging - this is ridiculous!

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: GoPro fogging - this is ridiculous!

Postby dyyylan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:32 pm

I've never seen my GoPro 3 fog either, my GoPro 1 fogged up all the time, but the 3 hasn't in winter or summer. Taken it skiing, sealed it in the warm house and had no issues. I don't use paper towel strips any more (they DID help for the gp1) and never pay attention to when I seal the case.

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pippi langsamer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Last edited by Pippi langsamer on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exuma kitesurfing
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby exuma kitesurfing » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 pm

pippi - just read your post ... too funny!! almost sprayed my gf with the cocktails she just made for us!!!

heemskn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites

Postby heemskn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:28 am

Great review of the Garmin VIRB and info on size and battery life of some of the other contenders. Not kiteboarding specific, but very detailed:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/garm ... eview.html

blazeheli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui/ Cocoa Beach Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airush

Postby blazeheli » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 am

I have a GoPro 2 and 3. Sounds like the paper towel thing would work, but I use a few grains of rice and haven't had any issues with fogging from snow kiting, kiting in Oregon to kiting in Maui. Put the camera in the case - drop a few grains of rice in the gaps - no fogging at all. A little Rainx on the outer case to minimize water drops and you get some great footage. What do you do to save your cell phone when accidentally drop it in water? You take the battery out and put the phone in a container of rice to suck out all the moisture. Rice is much easier and much cheaper than those silly strips....... ;)

Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Re: GoPro fogging - Losing epic footage..

Postby Van Hunk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 am

Radical footage of kiting with whales and jumping of whales lost. Due to fog. Such is life.

[youtube][/youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jB-tij ... detailpage

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 pm

My GoPro2 fogs after about 10min. Wondering if the clear case has any affect... acting like a "green house"??

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:00 am

Blazeheli - Cheers Bro good tip :)

blazeheli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui/ Cocoa Beach Fl
Gear: Airush

Postby blazeheli » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:07 am

IWB2 wrote:My GoPro2 fogs after about 10min. Wondering if the clear case has any affect... acting like a "green house"??
Most of the heat comes from the Gopro itself. A clear or dark case would not make much difference. The key is getting the moisture out of the air inside the case - then it can heat up with no problems. Thus the dry strips, paper towels, Air conditioning air or grains of rice all have been reported to work. If you use the rice - make sure it is rice that is from a sealed container or sealed bag. You don't want rice that has already absorbed a bunch of moisture from the air.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:14 am

An immediate and 100% effective solution I use is to flood the GoPro housing with an inert canned gas like those used for preserving opened wine bottles. $10.

The gas in the can has no water/moisture and has a dew point well below freezing. The gases (argon/nitrogen) are also heavier than "air" so if you place the housing face down (door up) you can slowly "fill" the housing with the little tube and displace the ambient air before you close it. I still put a desiccant paper strip in the housing but there is NO moisture in it so nothing to condense.

I suspect that the "Canned Air" computer/electronic aerosol dusters would work too if they use some sort of evaporative gas. You could turn the can upside down and dispense some liquid into the housing and when it evaporates, it will displace the moist ambient air.

The little strips on their own take time to absurd the moisture in the housing so you would need to close up the housing well in advance of exposing the housing to (relatively) cold(er) water.

I got the idea from doing the same in front of an air conditioning vent.

Return to “Kitesurfing”