Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 am

Ok ive had my rant. Lets move on.
The kite looks interesting. Ill be interested to here reviews from non sponsered riders.
Even better Mr.plummet, I will send you one so you can try yourself and let us know what you think since I am so confident about the products I come out with.
So please email me at: dimitri@epickties.com so we can arrange something and see what size you want me to send you.
:thumb:

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:26 am

Plummet don't say a 10m Surf :lol:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:44 am

heheheh... yeah send me the 10m size!!!!! hahaha... just teasing.

I am not in the market for a wave kite at the moment. But am happy to review your kite in the 8m size honestly without bias.

But I am in New Zealand and freight to/from the other side of the world may make this an expensive proposition for you.

You most definately should get some kites to Westozzy to demo.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:03 am

Poster: plummet
I am not in the market for a wave kite at the moment. But am happy to review your kite in the 8m size honestly without bias.
But I am in New Zealand and freight to/from the other side of the world may make this an expensive proposition for you.

Ouch….Yes shipping the kite to New Zealand will be very expensive. But let me see how much expensive. Can you email me your info so I can see how much shipping will be. We use Fed Ex because they are very good in case something happens to the package.
Concerning Mr.Westozzy, since he is in Australia I will get in touch with my Australian dealer so he can demo the SURF kite.

Also if it was not a wave kite then "yes", you would need at least 4 to 6 different sizes for better performance depending the models. But the shape of this SURF kite makes it behave the way it behaves and no need for a 4th kite. Maybe in the near future we might come out with a 15 meter kite for heavier kiters, but so far the 12 meter has plenty of power for the average rider.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:56 am

Westozzy will get some kit in a couple of weeks after the Kitestock, the 8 should be in Perth Wednesday next week if you're up that way for a day Westozzy , I'll let mike know your keen too,

Plummet, looks like Dimitri might be able to help you out there, I'm sure we can get it organised.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:20 am

Dimitri M wrote:

Ouch….Yes shipping the kite to New Zealand will be very expensive. But let me see how much expensive. Can you email me your info so I can see how much shipping will be. We use Fed Ex because they are very good in case something happens to the package.
Concerning Mr.Westozzy, since he is in Australia I will get in touch with my Australian dealer so he can demo the SURF kite.

Also if it was not a wave kite then "yes", you would need at least 4 to 6 different sizes for better performance depending the models. But the shape of this SURF kite makes it behave the way it behaves and no need for a 4th kite.

Well i will refrain from any further comment as you may be totally correct and I could very well be talking out of my own ass, let's ride one and see...and thanks Nigel look forward to it. The crew will all get on it and I will let ya know. Funny old profile hey, be interesting.
Last edited by Westozzy on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:54 am

Westozzy wrote:
Dimitri M wrote:

Also if it was not a wave kite then "yes", you would need at least 4 to 6 different sizes for better performance depending the models. But the shape of this SURF kite makes it behave the way it behaves and no need for a 4th kite.

Well i will refrain from any further comment as you may be totally correct and I could very well be talking out of my own ass, let's ride one and see.
I think I know what you talking about West because I maybe thinking the same thing..... since i have less tact than you i'll risk the talk out of my own arse.....

I personally think you need more kite sizes for wave riding not less. When freeriding you can and do use a lot wider range of a kites wind range. Who cares if your stupidly overpowered. Just boooooooost. If underpowered just work the kite and concentrate on staying upwind. But for actual wave riding you only want to be powered. You don't want to get pulled off the wave face with an over powered kite..... also if your riding down the line you don't want to spend ages grovelling upwind on an under powered kite. So the ideal solution is the correct size kite for the wind speed. smaller gaps between your quiver helps you optimise any given day.

Of course as Dimitri points out you can use longer/shorter lines/ trim plus trim the kite for different power levels and also you can use different boards as well to affect the the wind range as well.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 am

Dimitri M wrote:

So the SURF 8 meter kite can feel like a (7,8,9,10,11 meter) kite, depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. The SURF 5 meter kite can feel like a (4,5,6,7,8 meter) kite depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. And the SURF 12 meter kite can feel like a (10,11,12,13,14 meter) kite depending on where you position your bar, how fast you move the kite and what length of lines you are using. But most important it's the shape of the kite that makes this happen. So in few words you can actually get away with only one kite depending the place you kite. For example my quiver can be only the SURF 8 as a one quiver kite and use it with 22 meter lines for more power or 18 meter lines or even 15 meter lines for when the wind picks up. I have used the SURF 8 with a surf board of course from (12 to 32 mph). I even tried the SURF 8 in (9 to 13 mph) but could not stay up wind and had to do a down winder. But at least I was moving when every body else was on 14 meter kites.
Hi Dimitri...Bob here. Glad to see you offering a wave kite, but I'm 100% with plummet. Too big of a gap between the 8m and 12m. First time I saw the sizes, the 8m, 12m gap jumped out. Even if the 8m is super powerful, then I would assume the 12m is super powerful also, so if the 8m pulls like a 10m, then the 12m probably pulls like a 14m. Still too big of a gap.

IF a 8m has that much range, then it's giving up something somewhere.

I also agree with Plummet that when riding wave boards, especially strapless, you want the RIGHT size kite. Too much power and it will pull you off the board.

I'm not sure I'm convinced you can make up the difference with the methods you mention above. Sure, different bar movements, turning speed with the bar will make a difference, but that's the same for every kite on the market. I personally would hardly ever change my line lengths for each session. This changes how a kite will react and fly and I like getting used to the same lengths for each size. many companies offer longer lengths for bigger kites and shorter for smaller, and that works fine and you get used to it on each size, but changing lengths for the same size kite will cause differences in how it flies. Are you providing 3 different lengths per kite? I know you've offered 2, but I'm not sure how many people change. Could be wrong, but my opinion.

My all time favorite wave kite is the 2012 Rally. I still have a full quiver of 6m, 8m, 10m, 12m and sold my 14m and regret it ever since. It has a cult following as an awesome wave kite. The don't make it anymore which is a shame, so besides the Drifter that I carry, I want a second wave kite by someone. As a dealer who no longer carries Epic, I'd love to have you prove me wrong though.

For me though, words don't impress, but we will be in OBX for 2 weeks this spring again (April 26th - May 10th). Bring the 8m and 12m by and we'll test them against my own 8m and 12m (stashed and hoarded) 2012 Rally's. I'll know quickly how it stacks up and will give an honest review.

And....if it's the best wave kite I've ever flown, I might become an Epic dealer again, but you should come out with a better dealer friendly package. :wink: :wink:

We'll talk soon.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 am

I think I know what you talking about West because I maybe thinking the same thing..... since i have less tact than you i'll risk the talk out of my own arse.....

Classic Plummett...

Funny the new neo thread identifies this kite also to be very powerful, 10m dice, 9m rebel all equivalent to an 8m neo...(of course they have all the bloody sizes though as they can) and even the new reo is a lot more powerful for its size....maybe that's where it's at....who knows.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigPaul » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am

Well, Plummet and West Ozzie. I will review what I can but apologise in advance, as where I live there is only mush and probably no where near the size of waves that you are used to. That said I'm dying to give it a go. But the review will be from my experience and point of view. I've been kiting a long time now so it should hold some water. :thumb:

I'm also really looking forward to the Infinity - if there is not enough for the Surf.

If you have anything specific you would like me to look into or try just let me know I'm making a 6 hour trip for this and so I'm going to make sure I kick the arse out of it. (weather permitting)

Look forward to meeting up Blast.

Kind regards
Paul

Return to “Kitesurfing”