Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Knee/tendon injury/hip flexor

Postby ChuckDean » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi!

Im experiencing problems with my leg lately; constant mild pain of a tendon behind the knee on the inside of the leg, just at the beginning of the calf.

Its been on for some couple months or so..im set to go to a physician this week but i wanted to check for similar experience with fellow riders.

I also partialy tore my iliopsoas (hip flexor) in July last year and it still feels bit weird with a popping sound when moving.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Knee/tendon injury/hip flexor

Postby NYKiter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Are you jumping a lot?

ChuckDean
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Grado, Italy.

Postby ChuckDean » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Yes.

Believe it or not the injury of my hip flexor came when i was playing soccer..kicked the ball real hard and it just made a popping sound..2 cm tear..ouch.

My knee problems (on the opposite leg)started Sept'13 in Dakhla Marocco...really painfull after sessions..this days only after phys. activity (haven't been on the water since Nov)...mild/moderate pain.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:19 am

There is a condition where a cyst develops behind the knee called a Baker Cyst. I remember my PT guy telling me about it once.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:01 pm

I am a physiotherapist and of course it's hard to make a diagnose over a forum :o
I don't know in what kind of condition your body is.

How about your stance?
If your bindings are not well placed it can give tension to the upper leg. What is good? Natural stance! Do you have that on your board?

With holidays its always the same, sore body but its the recovery that shows how well trained you are.

ChuckDean
Rare Poster

Postby ChuckDean » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 pm

stefarius wrote:I am a physiotherapist and of course it's hard to make a diagnose over a forum :o
I don't know in what kind of condition your body is.

How about your stance?
If your bindings are not well placed it can give tension to the upper leg. What is good? Natural stance! Do you have that on your board?

With holidays its always the same, sore body but its the recovery that shows how well trained you are.

Im in good shape, workout at least 4x a week...but this knee thing is constantly around.. I think my stance was too narrow, or the angle was not ok. I have a new board with bindings that are angle adjustable. Hope it will be different.

I have a appointment at the doc next week..i have to take care of this...hate being injured/unable to kite :S

ChuckDean
Rare Poster

Postby ChuckDean » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 pm

ChuckDean wrote:Yes.

Believe it or not the injury of my hip flexor came when i was playing soccer..kicked the ball real hard and it just made a popping sound..2 cm tear..ouch.

My knee problems (on the opposite leg)started Sept'13 in Dakhla Marocco...really painfull after sessions..this days only after phys. activity (haven't been on the water since Nov)...mild/moderate pain.

Could be...will know more next week. thnx

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 am

I have worn knees and hip.

I use soft foot pads. limit toeside (which hurts my knees) and have a flexible board to smooth out the chop.

Also don't blaze straight to hard core action. give the body 10-15 mins to warm up.... (usually I just boost into it!!! but pay the price when I do).

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf

Postby yojimbo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 pm

One of the things you did not mention is what style kiting. Wake, surf, race, etc. Of all of them, wake is going to be most damaging to the joints in your legs and hips due to the high impact nature of this particular activity. If you do primarily wakestyle, you might to think about dialing back some of that activity.

Someone mentioned jumping, and you mentioned pain in your psoas muscle. Any major damage would be occurring at the point of lift off, when you are bring your knees up and pulling your board out of the water. The two are directly related, something to be aware of. You might want to reexamine your jumping technique.

Just being in that kite riding position, your psoas muscles are in constant flexion(tension), which could be contributing to any pain you are experiencing.

Just my thoughts from my experience with kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”