Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Travelling - the checkin has no clue about bag rules

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:52 pm

I think this happens too many times...just today again...

I approach the British Airways counter.
I am flying a short leg with British Airways, long leg with American Airlines.

I have two bags with 21 kg and one sports bag with 30 kg.

So the lady at checkin tells me, I have to pay 72 Euro for the extra bag up to 23 kg (one bag free with 23 kg). The sports bag is 150 Euro and since over 23 kg plus 46 Euro.

Yeah right bitch!

I informed myself before in the internet and checked the BA and AA websites. I made screenshots about it all and showed it to her, see the attached files.

This says on BA site:

When combined flights the longer leg rules are valid, in this case the AA rules.

AA says:
- sportsbag up to 32 kg 150 USD
- extra bag up to 23 kg 75 Euro

So I have a proof!
She says she is from BA and they do it like this...they have to do it in Euro and that's their prices.
I said ok, I will accept 150 Euro and then claim it from AA.
Then she comes with the extra 46 since sports bag is more than 23 kg.
Then I said, ok, this stops here, I will not pay that!
Then she says I have to get my boss then and she has to decide.
She is at the neighbor counter, she asks here and immediately gets the info, that I am right !!!

So KF people, best is to print the website info and show it into their face. The website info is FACT !!!
Don't let yourself get talked into you are wrong and she knows it for sure...BS, she does not!
Unbelievable how she insisted on it...instead of asking the boss immediately when I showed the screenshots!

I hope this saves some money for other people!

Happy traveling!

PS: I love internet in the plane!!! Miami here I come! Just looks like the wind is missing there!
Attachments
Baggage Info BA - AA.png
Baggage Info on BA website
AA extra bag.png
AA extra bag
Sports Bag AA EN.png
AA sports bag

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travelling - the checkin has no clue about bag rules

Postby soul19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm

I just recently got back from Punta Cana and my kite bags were 11kg over the weight limit and on both legs of the trip. I was pleasant with both ladies that had to process my bags and found that most of the time they would just indicate that the bags are over the limit but I would never get charged. Both times with some idle chit chat they just let the bags slip through with no issues. I did have one occasion when I had a some guy root through my bag looking for golf clubs and wanted to charge me the full weight of the bag as he stated that kite gear wasn't part of the allowed sporting equipment. I had print outs of the rules and with a whole lot of aggravation I was finally able to get that yahoo to allow my bag through (one of the few times that my bags have made weight)! I agree with you Toby in that it is allows in your best interest to have a copy of the airline luggage rules as they can and will try to modify them on the spot! Always best to be prudent!

James

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Good idea, printing it out...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:37 pm

That's a good idea, to have their published rules on hand, in case push comes to shove.
BUT....I think I'd be cautious about bringing these out until it comes to that. You are way better off to go with the happy-go-lucky smiling friendly traveller routine first. The counter person has the ability to waive all fees ... so be nice and try to get a break. They also have the capability to SCREW YOU in ways you probably can't imagine....never piss off a bureaucrat (or someone who has the opportunity to pee in your soup). Kind of like quoting the law to a cop, you may be right on the point you raise, but if you get their back up they will get you back in other ways....all within the letter of the law, but things they'd otherwise let go.

So....be informed, stick up for yourself, but play it cool too. A nice smile, a little flirting, maybe you get away cheap and easy. :P

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Agree 100%. Nicely said.
juandesooka wrote:That's a good idea, to have their published rules on hand, in case push comes to shove.
BUT....I think I'd be cautious about bringing these out until it comes to that. You are way better off to go with the happy-go-lucky smiling friendly traveller routine first. The counter person has the ability to waive all fees ... so be nice and try to get a break. They also have the capability to SCREW YOU in ways you probably can't imagine....never piss off a bureaucrat (or someone who has the opportunity to pee in your soup). Kind of like quoting the law to a cop, you may be right on the point you raise, but if you get their back up they will get you back in other ways....all within the letter of the law, but things they'd otherwise let go.

So....be informed, stick up for yourself, but play it cool too. A nice smile, a little flirting, maybe you get away cheap and easy. :P

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windybrit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:47 pm

loco4viento wrote:Agree 100%. Nicely said.

In 10 days time I'll fly on an airline I've not used before and whose baggage rules are somewhat ambiguous, I will email the airline in advance seeking clarification.
When I check in at the airport I'll be my charming smiley self , but I'll have a copy of their email reply and their website rules in my pocket just in case.

juandesooka wrote:That's a good idea, to have their published rules on hand, in case push comes to shove.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Another trick that works if maxed out... Is to buy the largest carry on bag or just a little bigger.
Dont give it to them to weigh, give it to a friend or just say its your friends...
Once your past the checkin counter - no one cares... Just think about how much duty free stuff people take onboard sometimes..

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:59 am

A plastic back for onboard is so great...can hold many kilos!!!!

WaveRider001
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lanes, Mokuleia, Kitebeach
Style: Wave and Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WaveRider001 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 pm

I had the worst check in with United in Portland:
- one regular bag (23Kg)
- one Kite bag (30 Kg) - prior registration

I also had a printout from United´s webpage. At this time, the fee was 100 USD for domestic flights and no additional second bag fee if you have one extra sport luggage.

The lady charged us also the additional 2nd bag fee plus the fee for kiteboards and I tried to convince her from the opposite. Even my print out didn´t help and then she started to screem at us: "If we don´t pay what she says, we don´t fly!" When I asked her, why she´s so unfrindly, she walked away and told the other lady, we have to pay or don´t fly... Obviously, she was alos the supervisor :o

So, we paid the additional 2nd bag fee (for 2 person) and proceeded to the gate. At the gate I told another United representative about the check-in. Then, he called the United office. The result was, that I was right and he made a refund on my credit card.... So, at the end, I paid the "right" fee, but had a lot of stress... :angryfire:

I think they always try to charge as much as possible and hope that the clients doesn´t complain...
I fly a lot, but United is so terrible with sport luggage that I try to avoid this airline!!! Even on Maui, I always have discussions about the fee!!! Incredible!

Cheers,
Joerg

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Glad you won that argument Toby and good advice for future trips.

Return to “Kitesurfing”