Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

where to stay in Islamorada/Key west

Postby rocktor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 am

Booked flights to Florida at the end of March for some warm water kiting. Where is a good place to stay there in terms of good winds but at the same time other things to do for girlfriend and a couple of other non-kiters? at least some restaurants etc? Somewhere in Islamorada/Key west? Input appreciated from anyone who has been there done that.
Thanks.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: where to stay in Islamorada/Key west

Postby whabbits » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:29 am

I do not have any suggestions as to where to stay but the best meal that I had in the keys was near Islamorada, at a place called MEAT. They had the best beer selection too.

Check in with the crew at Otherside Boardsports, they have a great store worth checking out.

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:21 pm

If you are looking for the best deals on places to stay contact the Key West Visitor Center, they are a free service and can definitely help you. I worked for them for 3 years and they are a great way to find the best options. Give them a call at 305 296 8881. You are welcome to say I referred you.
Good luck.

Greg

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Personally, I like vacation rental houses in the Keys. For the cost of a hotel, you can get a whole house or condo to yourself. In Islamorada, if you can find one on the Atlantic side and can drift launch, you can usually kite right from the house. Its nice to have a big bunch of water to yourself and not have to deal with the crowds at Anne's Beach and Whale Harbor.

There are plenty of restaurants, shops and charter boats in Islamorada, so non-kiters have plenty to do as well. Marathon is good too with Curry Hammock and the Cable park if you get skunked for wind. Have fun.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Hawks Cay Resort......Nice spot , lots to do.......Otherside has a kite boat that is kept at resort.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Islamorada and Key West are @ 2 hr apart so where do yo want to go? If your going to Key West, take Greg's advice. He has been there longer than anyone I know in Key West.

If your coming to Islamorada, there are tons of options depending on what you want to spend. The ocean front house is an awesome idea but unless you know someone, finding a rental for cheap during spring break this close to march is gonna be tough. PM me and I can help you better or call oTHErside Boardsports in Islamorada. Gotta get on it quick before you run out of options!

oTHErside Boardsports
(305)853-9728
www.othersideboardsports.com

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:59 am

Call oTHErside about the catamaran excursion. Stay on a boat for 3 days, kite epic spots, and do it right. Forget being stuck on land.

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:54 am

Honestly I don't know where to stay. Islamorada or Key west. I want to stay where I can get a good deal on a house and good kiting. I suppose I am a little late to book accommodation and just realized that houses are too expensive. I am not that rich, not rich at all actually to afford thousands of dollars for a week. I was expecting houses in the price range of hatteras where we normally go. Greg, thanks for the advice I will give them a call.
Noel when is a good time to call you?

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Shop is open everyday 10-6. Pm me if needed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”