Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Alternate choices (cheaper then Speeds) for light wind

Forum for kitesurfers
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Alternate choices (cheaper then Speeds) for light wind

Postby mattthieu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Elf kites : jocker 4 in the sise 16 m os 60 000 roubles, 1900 can dollars plus shipping. 19m is 90 000 .
Not realy user friendly kites id thé Word out there.

About thé Peak 9 : tried it. Dont like it at all. No depower what so ever. No way to properly jump on that thing, flaps around if no fully powered. Oh, and again no light wind kite......12 to something sweet spot with no water abilitys is no light wind kite..... Any other 9 meter foil will.do.quite awake.on.fast snow.....

Tried to.run.along a guy ok peak 6m. With a 8 inflate. Guy full ( power hehe ) I was running past him.1 third trimed.....not impressive at all...

Peak is a nice toy, easy plug and play entry in the kiting universe but, do yourself a favor and buy a speed 4. Thats impressive. If you get a wind gut on the peak, call your mama.....

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alternate choices ( cheaper then Speeds ) for light wind

Postby sijandy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:41 pm

mattthieu wrote:once again : 10.5 meter is no fucking light wind kite !!!! period

it's not because a kite is light and holds in the air, or because a kite has no depower and is hard to control and freightens people thatit becomes because of the power of magic a light wind kite.....

10.5 m is NEVER going to be a light wind kite for someone adult sized !!!
Sorry, i didn't realise you were a ignorant narrow minded twat!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm

[quote="elliott george"]
To fly the flexifoil mrk.3 10.5 blade is the most EXTREME thing you can do with just a kite.
quote]

...true, except for the 8.5m in 25mph+!!! I ditched mine a few years back and moved onto inflatables but there are a few guys that still use em at my local beach and they boost way higher and longer than anyone else!!!

mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé

Postby mattthieu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 pm

ok so everyone buy's old small foils and perform better in light wind, !!!!!!!!

il'l stick with science and math, and going to get something bigger and ride in less then 10 knots..

light wind, less then 10 knots, on the WATER, upwind.......

and dont get confused betwin powerfull kite that alowes you to ride in light wind and kite that has no depower and scares you in 10 plus knots........

call me narrow minded, ok, call everyone riding flysurfers in 19 and 21m narrow minded, ( why the hell dont they ride aol 10m foils ?????????????? they perform just as well )

oh, call norow minded all racers that ride big elf, big paraavis, big speeds, big dynos and edges, they did not understand anything about light wind, they should get that old 10m foil that scares the hell out of you and perform better in light wind !!!!!

so, could we get back to the topic :

LIGHT WIND KITES THAT ARE NOT ( AND THAT ARE CHEAPER ) FLYSURFER ???

HAS ANYONE experience with the elf joker 4 on the water ?????

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 pm

The 8.5 is amazing and maybe the best one in the lineup! But that's a tough call since the 6.6 is also pretty outstanding and a great jumper. But a full sized rider needs about 13 mph to get upwind on the 6.6 (so my friend won't have to get angry and throw f-bombs over someone suggesting it's a light wind kite).
sijandy wrote:
elliott george wrote: To fly the flexifoil mrk.3 10.5 blade is the most EXTREME thing you can do with just a kite.
quote]

...true, except for the 8.5m in 25mph+!!! I ditched mine a few years back and moved onto inflatables but there are a few guys that still use em at my local beach and they boost way higher and longer than anyone else!!!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:30 pm

mattthieu wrote: call me narrow minded, ok, call everyone riding flysurfers in 19 and 21m narrow minded, ( why the hell dont they ride aol 10m foils ?????????????? they perform just as well )

oh, call norow minded all racers that ride big elf, big paraavis, big speeds, big dynos and edges, they did not understand anything about light wind, they should get that old 10m foil that scares the hell out of you and perform better in light wind !!!!!
Yes if they all made retarded statements about something they have no experience or knowledge of, especially when it was originally offered as a possible solution to a problem. With every post you make you seem to be increasing the validity of my previous post. :thumb:

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 pm

I like a big flysurfer for ultra light wind riding. I have a 19 and have flown the 21. My SA-19 is the light wind session saver for me. I prefer it over a two-line 10.5 Blade. But it is pretty silly for a guy with zero knowledge (he says he will stick with science and math but all I see is conjecture) or experience to say something is impossible simply because he can't understand it.

Closed cell depower kites deliver much less power per square meter than their open cell fixed bridle cousins, and much of this has been to achieve stability at lower angles of attack. The original closed cell foil kites (such as Peter Lynn Waterfoils and Windtools Mosquito Pro) were very powerful per square meter but intolerant of AOA decreases and had limited range. Kites have become bigger and bigger to produce a given level of power while tolerating the lower AOA needed to give top end range.

So is a fixed bridle Blade III 10.5 a light wind kite? Will it go upwind with a full sized guy on a light wind board in under 10 knots? Will it do that in 8 knots? I say yes because I've done it plenty. Is it a kite that most people would like? Not at all. Do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks? That's personal, but I would say absolutely not for most people. But for the self-appointed math and science expert to say something couldn't be a light wind kite simply because he can't understand how it's possible is more a reflection of his thought process than a comment about reality.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

mattthieu wrote:HAS ANYONE experience with the elf joker 4 on the water ?????
You should go to foilzone to get answer on that. There is a couple of Elf threads.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm

mattthieu wrote: About thé Peak 9 : tried it. Dont like it at all. No depower what so ever. No way to properly jump on that thing, flaps around if no fully powered. Oh, and again no light wind kite......12 to something sweet spot with no water abilitys is no light wind kite..... Any other 9 meter foil will.do.quite awake.on.fast snow.....

Tried to.run.along a guy ok peak 6m. With a 8 inflate. Guy full ( power hehe ) I was running past him.1 third trimed.....not impressive at all...

Peak is a nice toy, easy plug and play entry in the kiting universe but, do yourself a favor and buy a speed 4. Thats impressive. If you get a wind gut on the peak, call your mama.....
Well...that's interesting! I have been flying the 6m and 9m Peak for the last 3+ weeks - -probably at least 18 sessions, probably have ridden everything from 7 kts to over 30 kts. I am a little confused when you say the kite has no depower, because I think the kites have pretty good depower for a foil. I have flown lots of inflatable over the past 13 years in everything up to 40kts and I would say the Peaks have good depower in comparison. I think the biggest thing I had to get used to was the fact that the Peaks have a lot more power than I intitially thought they would. It's sort of amazing to be flying a 9m Peak when my friend is flying a 17m inflatable..and we usually fly the same size kites on the water.

I will say that when overpowered the wingtips flap, and although not really causing any problem I don't like the flapping, so that is the signal to simply go to a smaller kite. The nice thing about the Peaks is that I can carry a 6m (or 9m)on my back and change kites in about 5 minutes if I would otherwise be a few miles away from my other gear. It is all so EASY!!!!

So, trying not to get too off topic here, I think there are obviously different impressions from the Peak. I can only say this - on just about any day for snowkiting, if someone put a 9m Peak and a top quality 12m inflatable on the table and said pick one...I would defo grab the Peak. If a 12m Speed3 was thrown into that choice I'd probably still go for the Peak because it turns so much faster and is almost as powerful. I have a long background with inflatables, so the soft-ride/spogy feel of a Speed is sometimes unappealing to me.

I agree, the Peak may not have the same gliding/jumping ability (and not really designed for that) but for back country and general snowkiting I feel like it's hard to beat it. It' will be interesting to try it on the water with waves...I have a funny feeling the PEak might be really nice in the waves. We shall see.

I have not even thought about using my inflatables in the last 3 weeks...and I love my Core kites! The only time I have thought about using my 5m Core (probably good from 25-40kts) instead of the 6m Peak was when it was blowing well over 30 kts.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Loco
Wow, just had a flash back of threads 15 years old. Have you given the new HQ line of water kites a go? Wonder how the power, turning and bang for buck pan out there.
Great to see you on line.
PS... Loco has been at this a while and rides in a very light wind area. Been there to visit and he does what it takes to get on the water even if only powered by an iguana fart on a hillside about five miles inland of his location.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”