Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

pickle or the nugget

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: pickle or the nugget

Postby matth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:43 am

davesails7 wrote:Do you want straps? If not you can get the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer version for half the price of the Kite version. This one is on sale for $335 and free shipping:
http://www.buywake.com/wakesurfers/slin ... fgod-RUALw

Although the 2013 graphics were a little... interesting... :-?

I've got the 2012 5'4" wakesurfer version and really like it. I had been looking for a reasonably priced end of season deal or used nugget, but you can't find them.

I remember seeing a review on one of the SP or Nugget threads of one person who actually tried both, but I can't find it now. He had a nugget and his buddy bought the SP. They both tried them back to back and found there wasn't much difference from what I remember.

Do you think its the same exact shape, rocker, v bottom , double concave etc?.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:03 am

matth wrote:...I read somewhere else the fins were not great on the pickle. Are they that bad, or something that I could live with for awhile?
For what you described, get the pickle. Search around and you'll find the wakesurfer version for cheap! I think this years was white & green, last year was red shark graphics and the prior year was bright green. Or get the more durable kite version with a bamboo deck, inserts for straps and higher quality fins.

I did not have any problems with the stock fins on the wakesurfer and I was rough with the board. They didn't break on me or vibrate. For learning to ride strapless they are fine. That said, they are cheap plastic fins and I did replace them with higher quality fins just because enough folks said I would notice a difference and I knew they'd be stronger. I don't think it's required...I think it is one of those optional upgrades if you like the board and use it a lot.

I got the 5'0" size and love it. We're about the same size so I'd recommend that one. I took it to PR this winter and fit it in a mystic golf bag, so didn't have to pay surfboard fees. That was a bonus. With all 4 fins it is super stable, you can walk all over the deck, it is great for learning strapless. An immediately easy board to ride. I personally like it with the rear fins removed as it makes it a lot quicker, but some folks who try mine say it's squirrely like that.

I have talked to many folks who love their nuggets and that is what made me start looking for a similar style. They all tell me it is a fragile board, though. No experience with the Axon. It sounds like you can't go wrong with any of them, though. So find the right deal to match your price point and quality expectations. :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:11 am

matth wrote:
davesails7 wrote:Do you want straps? If not you can get the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer version for half the price of the Kite version. This one is on sale for $335 and free shipping:
http://www.buywake.com/wakesurfers/slin ... fgod-RUALw

Although the 2013 graphics were a little... interesting... :-?

I've got the 2012 5'4" wakesurfer version and really like it. I had been looking for a reasonably priced end of season deal or used nugget, but you can't find them.

I remember seeing a review on one of the SP or Nugget threads of one person who actually tried both, but I can't find it now. He had a nugget and his buddy bought the SP. They both tried them back to back and found there wasn't much difference from what I remember.

Do you think its the same exact shape, rocker, v bottom , double concave etc?.
Yes, it is.
Straight from Slingshot.
I have the 2012 all green 5' 4".
I put new front fins on it and took out the back fins.
Cheap durable board and it works for it's intended purpose. :thumb:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:28 am

I think the 5.0 nugget crosses over into free ride better than the pickle. Smaller size better fins and straps help with this.

I love riding the nugget when it's blowing 20-25 on a 9m. Actually it's my favorite setup.

The pickle is very similar but with this design the 5'4" feels much larger to me. The fins were crap and this really was evident. But the board design is too close to tell a difference. For a wide board like this I like it strapped because it allows you to control the board in higher powered turns.

I think the 5.0 2013 nugget is really incredible. It just really seems to hit a sweet spot in board design.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:35 am

My 5' 4" Pickle is for light wind strapless.
If you want to go out in strong winds, the 5' 0" would be a better choice.
Last edited by L0KI on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:35 pm

coleman wrote:I think the 5.0 nugget crosses over into free ride better than the pickle. Smaller size better fins and straps help with this.
FWIW, the kite version of the Pickle comes with strap inserts and better fins.
Not sure of a direct Nugget comparison, but it addresses some of the concerns mentioned here regarding the wake version (which I still think is fine for most people). If I didn't already have the wake version, I'd buy this -

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:07 pm

matth wrote:Do you think its the same exact shape, rocker, v bottom , double concave etc?.
Yeah, as others have said it seems to be the same shape, but not as strong of a construction. I've had mine for about 9 months. Probably about 40 sessions and no problems with the wakesurfer construction. I ride it a combination of flat water and waves. I had been working on doing some strapless airs of 3 or 4 feet off of waves and had a couple of really hard landings on it, but there doesn't seem to be any damage. The full deckpad really helps with the hard landings. I'm 165 lbs.

The only weird thing is I keep getting little cracks on the nose of the board. Never banged the nose that I can remember, but the little cracks keep appearing. Might have been a manufacturing defect. Not enough resin got up there? I just put some of that surfboard repair resin over it and it has been fine, so I'm not too worried about it.

This thing is just as much fun in flat water as it is in the waves. It's sensitive to weight placement, but when you get it right it just flies in lightwind and flat water. Goes upwind like crazy. Similar to a raceboard, you have to keep it flat and ride the fins.

I've ridden it a few miles upwind in the sound in the outer banks. Riding fast upwind is fun, but without straps you can't ride it downwind very fast. If there are waves though it works great. Ride upwind fast and then ride the waves on your way back down the beach.

This board is by far the easiest board to tack and jibe (with switching your feet) that I have ridden because it is so wide and stable. You can walk all over it.

I like it with 4 fins. I tried it with two and thought it was too loose. Turns a lot sharper with 2 fins, but the nose hunts around and doesn't go upwind as well. I have snapped several fins by bottoming out in shallow water while tacking. I've tried some fiberglass fins, and didn't notice too much of a difference from the cheap plastic fins. I like that the fins break instead of stressing the fin boxes. I might try some of the small "knubster" fins for the back fins. Maybe that will give me the best of the quick turning 2 fin setup and still some tracking and upwind of the 4 fin setup.

I only ride it in light wind. I bought a cheap, short board surfboard off of craigslist for when the wind is good. I think when the wind is over 15 knots you're better off with a narrower board anyway, but it's all personal preference I guess.

windfreak
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windfreak » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi matt,i own a 2013 nugget and it s one of the best investment i have done to learn strapless surfing ,easy planning ,i am 215,easy jibing,smooth in shop,only 5.0 feet,fit in my boardbag etc.don t know about pickles but love my nuggets ! :D

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 am

Thanks for the info guys. Keeping my eyes open for a used board to pop up. Sounds like any one of the three would do the trick.

Return to “Kitesurfing”