Core Fusion
Core Fusion LW
Core Ripper 2
Brand Affiliation: Hangtime Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites

Postby jsquid » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Seb,

Have you tried the 19m XR3? I am curious to what difference it would make on the lowend compared to the 17XR3? SupaEz you can chime in here as well if you know my friend :thumb:

James
Hey James,

I'm not sure how far north you are in Northern Ontario but once the great lakes thaw out, drop me a line if you want to meet up on a LW day. I could likely hook you up with a 19m/17m XR3 back to back demo.

Jeff

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Xtream wrote:Yes the point you made is very clear.... Crystal.. Its clearly states that your full of SHIT.
You have ZERO Credibility on this Forum and just a windbag bully and a friggin atheist to boot...
I see PMU has a contender for the title of "Looniest rebuttal to date" :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 pm

Séb wrote:
Westozzy wrote: Anyone ridden the 13.5m core X3 s a light wind kite (for a lighter fellow)...got a 12m down to demo because stuff me if I can find anything worth while review wise on this kite.
Yes I had and I like it but I don't think it is powerful enough even for a light rider to be call a LW kite. I would suggest highly the XR3 15m instead. It is my wife's LW kite (and mine too btw) and she is 128lbs and like it a lot. The 15m is still quite fast, closer to the 13,5m turning speed while the 17m is much closer to the 19m in term of turning speed. So the 15m is the best alternative in the XR3 lineup for a good LW kite for lighter riders.

Ta seb, is it still fast enough to boost ...my light wind definition is 12 to 16 knots mind you. Below this I'm not interested. We get a lot of wind mind you that's why.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 am

Oldnbroken wrote: It is hilarious to hear these arguments from those of you living in lightwind coastal locations because ALL OF THESE LIGHTWIND KITES WORK PERFECTLY WHERE YOU ARE, your conditions are so easy, it's a joke.
Very EZ place to debunk those infinite LW BS claims
Nothing beats Florida's steady EZ light winds 2 do that

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lmrutledge » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 am

Wow! This is an interesting topic. I've been gone a while. What did I miss? Wooo Whoooo!

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:01 am

Westozzy wrote: Ta seb, is it still fast enough to boost ...my light wind definition is 12 to 16 knots mind you. Below this I'm not interested. We get a lot of wind mind you that's why.
Glad you gave your definition of LW because for me LW mean below 12 knots! So for 12-16knots an XR3 15m would be enough to have fun and to jump if you are in an average weight. It is fast enough to redirect the kite for a nice boost and it is very easy to do some kiteloop/downloop. I much prefer the 15m over the 17 and the 19m XR3. Also, the bar pressure is slightly less. I personally ride the 15m from about 8/9 knots with the 3m line extension up to 14/15 knots with a LW surf board and from 15k knots and above I use my 11m and I can use the 8m from 20 knots (surf) up to almost 40 knots (small TT). But as SupaEZ have said, their range is quite high. In a very special flat water spot last year I was riding in 22-25 knots with my XR3 15m and boosting very high because it was so easy to keep a good edge and the hangtime was as good as when I ride a Flysurfer Speed ! I never felt overpowered but just perfectly powered but it was such perfect dream flat water condition :D

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Been thanked: 0

Postby elliott george » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 am

Have you guys considered testing the naish draft and fly?

Also on the next kites you test, could you mention which ones unhooked well

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Séb wrote: I much prefer the 15m over the 17 and the 19m XR3. Also, the bar pressure is slightly less. I personally ride the 15m from about 8/9 knots with the 3m line extensions :D
Did you ride / test the 15..17..and 19 without the 3m extensions ?
I find less bar pressure with 24m lines because with the new short bridle.....
.... the back lines do not slack as much when extended

Also do you attach like i do the back line on wingtip to fast mode (middle) instead of superfast
This reduces bar pressure because the kite will open up and spill more power when pushing bar out

About total line length
I always want to know the total distance from bar to kite wingtip
As you know for example (SP3 21) has 21m lines but when you add leaders and bridle...
.....it gets to about 27m....from bar to kite wingtip

Same with XR3 that has 24m lines....add the leaders and you get 26.3m from bar to wingtip

Essentially when you ride your 15 extended you get 29.3m from bar to wingtip

I find this way too long...the kite sits lower in the window...turns slower...takes more room to rig....
...reduces the amount of depower when pushing bar out because of shorter bridle

What do you think....have you tried it ?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:19 pm

SupaEZ wrote:Did you ride / test the 15..17..and 19 without the 3m extensions ?
I find less bar pressure with 24m lines because with the new short bridle.....
.... the back lines do not slack as much when extended

Also do you attach like i do the back line on wingtip to fast mode (middle) instead of superfast
This reduces bar pressure because the kite will open up and spill more power when pushing bar out

About total line length
I always want to know the total distance from bar to kite wingtip
As you know for example (SP3 21) has 21m lines but when you add leaders and bridle...
.....it gets to about 27m....from bar to kite wingtip

Same with XR3 that has 24m lines....add the leaders and you get 26.3m from bar to wingtip

Essentially when you ride your 15 extended you get 29.3m from bar to wingtip

I find this way too long...the kite sits lower in the window...turns slower...takes more room to rig....
...reduces the amount of depower when pushing bar out because of shorter bridle

What do you think....have you tried it ?
I always ride my LW kite whatever the brand and model with some extension. With the Core I use the 3m extension, with my Flysurfer 21m it was with the 6m, etc... Here this is often the difference between trying to ride and riding! Because the air is warmer then the water temperature so there is more wind at higher height and with extension you still have longer power stroke so it help to get on plane on a LW surf board and then once I glide I can usually ride. I even have and use sometimes 11 or 15m set of line extension. This is in late May or early June if we get a very warm day and the water is still cold, there will be no wind at all near the water surface but can be 10 or even 15 knots at 80'! This is because of our winter season, the weather heat up much quicker then the water temperature of our lake...you've probably forgot that :lol:

So maybe you are right that the bar pressure would be lighter without the extension but if I can't ride it is a no go. And I compare the bar pressure between the different LW kites that I use all with extension so fair comparison. The 15m have less then the 19m. The 21m Flysurfer have much much less then the 15m Core, etc.. However I do not ride anymore a Flysurfer. I am very sensitive to bar pressure, the less is the better for me. I ride a lot just with one hand and I ride for very extended period so i like very light bar pressure.

All my Core, even the 8m are setup to lowest bar pressure setting and ultra fast turning setting. I like a fast turning Kite as much as I like low bar pressure. But I could try my 15m at the medium setting for turning speed (fast) to see if I can perceive a difference. Will try that at the end of March when I will be in Cuba.

I honestly love my Core XR3 15/11/8m but I do not like as much (still very good kites) the 17 and 19m. So I may buy an other LW kite this summer. I'd like to get a Lotus 21m but it is too expensive and with a surf board it is not as fun as when I was riding with a TT and doing jump with huge hangtime to practice oldschool moves but my style have changed and now I only ride a strapless LW surf when the wind is light. I have an other kite in my head that I want to try. Will see or I just keep my 15m if I can't find one that is fast, light bar pressure and turn fast.

Thanks,

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Séb wrote:This is in late May or early June if we get a very warm day and the water is still cold, there will be no wind at all near the water surface but can be 10 or even 15 knots at 80'! This is because of our winter season, the weather heat up much quicker then the water temperature of our lake...you've probably forgot that :lol:
Thanks,
No no..."Je me souviens " :wink: ( la belle province license plate)

We get the same phenomenon in the winter in Florida with occasional warm Southerly wind
Practically no wind on the water...looks like 7 knots when you rig up...but up there 10-15kn in kite
The air will be at 85F with the water at 67F and i am very powered up on the 19m2
Next day you can have a cold front with NNE 62F air temp over water 67F and i am barely powered

Most magic LW videos where the water is glassy in deep ocean or river is because of that effect

That's why side by side testing for LW performance is important...solo videos prove nothing

I am sure you have heard me say that before that i get magic sessions also in the heat of summer
All it takes is a few days of persistent light South wind (sideshore at my beach)....
....to create and upwelling...our water temp drops from 85F to 67F nearly overnight

The water color becomes amber rich with plankton and cold !!
Well you know real well what happens then with South wind air temp of 95F vs water temp 67F....
...surreal session in what looks and feel like 4knots...
...getting 10 ft jumps in swimming pool flat ocean with the 19 +Nugget w/ kite flying in 15kn of power

I am glad you know your light wind and that you have experienced that special aspect of it :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”