Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

rrd obsession on another bar

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 pm

anyone flying their RRD Obsessions (2012/13/ 14) on another bar system ? How does it fly ?

Not to keen on the RRD double line flag out in high winds

thanks

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: rrd obsession on another bar

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:10 am

I'm sure a single line flagging system will work fine. What is it? For double front lines, the mini fitfh has to be more than the width of the canopy, and single flag line, the bar has to be able to travel a length of the kite laid out flat?

I was going to try my Crazy fly bar yesterday but had some other testing to do instead. I might give it a try tomorrow. The kite should fly the same but I think your question more or less is< Will my RRD Obsession flag out safely and fully at a higher percentage rate on a single flag line bar VS a dual front line system?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 am

Main issue is I flew a 2011 obsession on the 2010 RRD global bar and it was terrible, unstable, slow and kite flapped a lot (perfect on the 2011 bar). I think this is due to the "V" split in the front lines being at different locations. The "V" split on the 2010 global bar is lower bown than the 2011 bars and onwards.

Just interested to know which bars people have tried and worked well. Seems the obessions need the "V" split at a certain point for best performance, similar to the Naish Torch. I am not sure they will fly well at all on a standard 4 line bar like a flexfoil, ozone or f-one bar.

Yes I would like to try a single line flag out bar as the double flag out is risky in 30mph + you get a serious amount of pull still and the kite tries to bounce on the water, taking off a lot.

RRD make great kites but they have lots of design flaws. Like the fact you can not replace the small pully bridal on the top of the kite (not the main insert)... and the bar is great and comfy but badly designed...

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I suppose there is an effect. I would think the pulleys might help but i dont know he design parameters. Ive flown a small 2009 obsession on a 2012 bar no issue buy maybe because the kite size. It is understandible about activatig QRs in 30 plus. I tend to kite more on high alert in these conditions.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

I fly 2012 Obsession 7mtr on FOne 2012 bar perfect no problems no adjustments.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 pm

thanks for the replies...

any other bars apart from the F-one .... ?

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:50 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:thanks for the replies...

any other bars apart from the F-one .... ?
I ride 7m 2012 obsession on a 2013 Slingshot bar 27m lines works fine. Its got a long throw which kills 90 percent of power, the quick release is to a single front line which works fine.

The kook proof connectors are oposite, so you end up loop to loop and knot to knot, so you need some reverse pig tails. I made some out of old line, it took five minutes and cost zero pounds.

At max depower the under bar depower line can swing around and up over the bar. If this ever got tangled it'd be scary as shit, so i tuck the line under my spreader bar. It could do with a magnet in it or something.

Féfis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Esposende
Style: wave riding
Gear: RRD type 9
poison130
pro wave

Postby Féfis » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi
Any bar works good,the only thing that can happen,is to loose a bit of depower.
otherwise it work well

Return to “Kitesurfing”