*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:29 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm
Posts: 376
Location: Quebec, Canada
Take a look at this video. It was filmed at our spot, it could be use to prove the superiority of any kite and say it was a very LW session but it is NOT, wind was around 16-18knots and it is quite frequent at our spot. No wind at all except in higher altitude, one of the two riders was using a 13m kite with two set of lines and the other guys 14m line extension! A LOT of guys do not understand this correctly and will just think we use more powerful kite or huge board but look how powered the guys is :D

http://youtu.be/t-sdvNwzQEY


Last edited by Séb on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:48 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2440
Séb wrote:
Take a look at this video. It was film at our spot, it could be use to prove the superiority of any kite and say it was a very LW session but it is NOT


Yes it could be used for that..if there was only "one" rider out...
...but your video shows a couple of guys ripping in seemingly....... 2-4kn

My take is if you would put another kiter with same size LW kite in all those solo BS claims.....
...you would see both riders do equally well...(with similar board / weight / line length / experience)
..because the conditions are special....(not so much the kite itself... that needs advertising)

At my spots when conditions are like that the extensions are not needed...the wind is not that high
Kite can be parked at @45 degree angle on @25m lines and you have power
Warm wind "seems" to slide faster over the cold water..apparent wind power gets created...i think

Let me know the wind direction in the video....i find at my beach spots SSE-S-SSW is best for that
Thanks


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:37 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm
Posts: 376
Location: Quebec, Canada
SW Wind direction. We always have some nice sessions like theses during May/June. It is fun because the water is sooo flat but don't drop your kite :D


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:29 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:44 am
Posts: 32
Hey S�b! The other kite you want to try... Is it the Ocean Rodeo Flite? I just ordered mine whit a Soul dry suit... Looks like this forum and marketing got me!!!;) Cant wait to try it in Cuba this april!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:17 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2440
Séb wrote:
SW Wind direction. We always have some nice sessions like theses during May/June. It is fun because the water is sooo flat but don't drop your kite :D


Yep...it matches my findings ..over the years...about wind direction influencing ultra LW performance
Water still cold /cool from Quebec long winter and a warm wind with Southerly component :wink:

If the wind the next day was to be cold from NW ,N or NE....
..... you would not get that special effect anymore

The vast majority of impressive low wind riding videos are using Southerly type wind flow...
....SSE,S,SSW,SW.......over water cooler than the air temperature


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:40 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm
Posts: 376
Location: Quebec, Canada
Burn45 wrote:
Hey S�b! The other kite you want to try... Is it the Ocean Rodeo Flite? I just ordered mine whit a Soul dry suit... Looks like this forum and marketing got me!!!;) Cant wait to try it in Cuba this april!

Yes, i'd like to try the 17m to see if the bar pressure is lighter then my XR3 15m and have more low end with still a good turning speed to help me ride with my LW directional board. I also want and will try the new Flysurfer Lotus 21m.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:13 am
Posts: 289
Location: NW Florida
SupaEZ wrote:
Séb wrote:
SW Wind direction. We always have some nice sessions like theses during May/June. It is fun because the water is sooo flat but don't drop your kite :D


Yep...it matches my findings ..over the years...about wind direction influencing ultra LW performance
Water still cold /cool from Quebec long winter and a warm wind with Southerly component :wink:

If the wind the next day was to be cold from NW ,N or NE....
..... you would not get that special effect anymore

The vast majority of impressive low wind riding videos are using Southerly type wind flow...
....SSE,S,SSW,SW.......over water cooler than the air temperature


This is what I was trying to say earlier - cool water with warm wind makes for VERY stable air, which allows you to ride down to lower speeds (not ridiculously low).


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:36 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:44 am
Posts: 32
Hi XL Kites!
We dont have any news from the Fat Lady and the Cloud...I know that you have other things to do while the peak season is on the way... But my question is; is it because those two kites dont worth it?
I ordered my OR Flite 17... Because of your review... You got me!!! Thanks for your work!
A Canadian Gold medal hockey fan


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 354
Location: XL Kites.com
Burn45 wrote:
Hi XL Kites!
We dont have any news from the Fat Lady and the Cloud...I know that you have other things to do while the peak season is on the way... But my question is; is it because those two kites dont worth it?
I ordered my OR Flite 17... Because of your review... You got me!!! Thanks for your work!
A Canadian Gold medal hockey fan

Hi Burn45. We've actually been getting a mix of either no wind or too much for the 17s. Go figure. We've done SOME testing, but not enough to complete our overall evaluation yet. We'll get it out as soon as we can!

SENDIT!

PS You'll love your Soul drysuit. I just got mine a couple of months ago and am kicking myself that I suffered through last winter teaching in a wetsuit. :evil:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Northern Ontario
Hey Burn45,

I like the comment about the Gold winning hockey teams! Nothing better than watching our nation have repeated victories! :thumb:

James


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], clckplaya and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group