All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiteboarding in Newfoundland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 pm 
Rare Poster

I will be traveling to Newfoundland this July, does anyone know if there is much of a kite scene there?

There is so much coastline there has to be some good spots, I'm just hoping I can find some other people to kite with as I'm not too keen on hitting the cold Atlantic solo. I've swam in the ocean there in the summer before, cold, steamer suit is definitely in order.

I'll be in the general vicinity of Gander but I'm good for making a few drives for good kiting.

Cheers!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboarding in Newfoundland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:21 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi there, we have about 25 kiters on the Island of Newfoundland. There are actually 3 or so in Gander. Most of us are always up for adventures and enjoy travelling to spots outside our normal kite areas.

pm for more info or simply reply via our website www.kiteboardingnewfoundland.com

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 am 
Rare Poster

Perfect, sent you a PM.

This trip, while it was already going to be great, just got better!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:12 am 
Rare Poster

I have the exact same question. I'm here from squamish BC in gander area for the next 2 weeks. Looking to do some riding. Where do you locals ride? Do you guys have a group who regularly go. I'd be up for a drive this coming Sunday if need be.

Thanks

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:23 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Matt,

Your best best is likely to get ahold of Brad (Burness a few posts up), he seems to be most in the know.

I was just there for two weeks and in the Gander area as well, unfortunately I didn't find much in the way of kiting right in the area, realistically you need to commit to a drive. I'm sure that would be different if I had another kiter with me, there had to be spots around the loop (Gander around through Gambo) but I'm not as adventurous when kiting alone...
Most of the kiting seems to happen around Conception Bay South, several hours drive from Gander, I unfortunately didn't get the chance to head down there when winds were right so I can't speak for the conditions.

If winds come up locally for you, SW, Gambo Pond seemed to work but always gusty. I met one local there one day by chance, he said he'd been kiting there for 6 years and never came across another kite so in the Gander area we are a rare breed... He said locally there isn't a lot, Gambo Pond, Square Pond (if you know the accesses or have a friend with a cottage), Gander Lake he says works too but again, I think you need to know someone that knows their way around to get in and find a place to launch.

Things to know about Gambo Pond, gusty is as good as it gets (confirmed by local rider), you will likely be alone so self launch/land is required, there are some submerged and semi submerged hazards in the form of deadheads (old logs) that I found, the water has this brownish colour to it from rotted wood as it used to have a lot of wood in it from logging industry use.

Apparently if you want to take a drive to Gros Morne (worth going anyways just for it's beauty and even hiking if you've got time) the bay just up from Cow Head is supposed to be great as well.

Cheers,

Jeff

[ 5 posts ]